Gods and Generals theatrical cut?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Molinarolo, May 12, 2003.

1. Dave Molinarolo

Dave Molinarolo Stunt Coordinator

OK, am I to understand that WB's 7/15 release of "Gods and Generals" will only be a theatrical release of the film?

As I understood from earlier rumors is that an eventual DVD release will get the 5 or 6 hour extended version.

I'm wondering that because "Gettysburg" is now OOP, that WB will re-release both films in all new extended cuts of both films. IIRC, there was an extended cut of Gettysburg available in a $100 collectible VHS box set back in the mid-90s.

And of course the original Gettysburg DVD was in DD 5.0 and as a flipper. I'm guessing this new Gods and Generals will be a flipper to, because the screenshot of Gods on Deep Discount clearly shows a snapper case.

In any case, I'll probably pick up this theatrical version, and then get the re-issues later on.

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

AFAIK they have no plans to do a 5 or 6 hour version of Gods. IIRC in the chat they said Gettysburg was pulled due to some legal issues. They were asked about the longer cut, but I don't recall what they said. It's in the chat transcript though.

3. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

This film shouldn't have been a theatrical release anyway. It just doesn't work as one, especially edited down to 3 hours (it definitely felt like too much was missing). It's obvious it was really filmed to be a 5-6 hours mini-series, and we'll probably see the extended version aired on TNT in a year or so. That's where it should have premiered in the first place. And I'm betting that's why we're not getting the extended cut on DVD yet. Turner wants to save it for a television premiere first, and then release it on DVD after he's milked it on TNT for a couple of months.

4. Dave Molinarolo

Dave Molinarolo Stunt Coordinator

Gettysburg was pulled for legal reasons? After all this time? What changed?

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

6. Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore Stunt Coordinator

After seeing Gods and Generals, my wife and I desperately wanted to see Gettysburg, but since the DVD is out of print, the cheapest I could get it was about $35. Not wanting to do that I got the Laserdisc off of Ebay for $10. I am hoping for a re-release of the DVD - it would have made sense and money to release it right around the Gods and Generals showings. Until then, at least I have seen it.

7. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Here's the snippet from the chat.

8. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    If this film had been meant to be a miniseries, it wouldn't have been filmed in the scope format but in 1.85:1, like Gettysburg. This was most definitely intended as a theatrical release.

9. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

Good point, GerardoHP

G&G plays much more like it was meant for the cinema as opposed to Gettysburg. You can actually tell where the commercial breaks are supposed to go during Gettysburg

[​IMG]

I was really looking forward to the director's cut of G&G though. It did feel severely chopped up.

10. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

11. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

12. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

For the record Gods and Generals was cut to 3:45 minutes not 3 hours and the original directors cut is rumored to be 5 1/2 hours so cut in half is a bit of an exaggeration.

13. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

14. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I have no problem with G&G as well as Gettysburg being a flipper. They both were presented with an intermission at the theater so it seems only fitting.

Not to mention picture quality would be better splitting up the movie. This is important in my book. Warner has some excellent looking discs these days!