Godfather2 open-matte on TNN last night

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timon Russo, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

This is just an observation, but I did a comparison between this and the DVD, scene for scene, and it most certainly appeared to be open-matte. I was under the impression most movies were shown P+S, if not OAR, on TV. Anyway, just sharing.

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

They'll open-matte it where they can. They're not doing it solely to piss people off and make things look bad, despite how it may seem. [​IMG]

3. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure all the videos prior to the 1997 re-release were in open matte as well. For a long time, Coppola dismissed requests for widescreen (cropped) versions, saying essentially, "You're not missing anything." I guess market pressure finally got to him.
    The 1.85:1 versions sometimes look more "cinematic" compared to the open-mattes, but sometimes they look more cramped/pinched. I don't have a strong preference either way, unless I'm watching the DVDs on 16x9-capable set. [​IMG]
    Ryan

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

What is open-matte? I have heard this before but I don't know what it is.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Thanks Michael.

7. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

This practice is why you will sometimes see mike booms on TV broadcasts of movies when they were not there in the theater presentation and some actresses have had a little more of themselves revealed on VHS than they originally signed on for.

Also, the open matte version of A Fish Called Wanda shows John Clese standing in his boxers when the movie makes him appear naked in front of a family with kids.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    My understanding was that the first two Godfather films were hard matted at a nominal 1.66:1 (probably slightly less than that in reality). For 1.33:1 home video, you get some additional height and a slight horizontal crop to fill the frame.

Regards,