Godfather vs. James Bond Vol. 1 Reissue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AdamZ, Nov 28, 2002.

1. AdamZ

AdamZ Stunt Coordinator

OK I have the choice between these two sets for an early holiday present. I have not seen any of the Godfather movies, i know, and havent seen all of the Bond movies in this set, but which one should i get and why.

2. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

If I had to personally choose I would without-a-doubt get the Bond Vol.1 over the Godfather set! I have both sets and I am VERY dissappointed with the video quality of the Godfather DVD's! The Bond DVD's on the other hand are outstanding for their age.

It all come down to your personal taste but if they are divided equally between Bond & the Godfather's I would grab the Bonds and wait for a proper release of the Godfather DVD's in the future.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

While The Godfather Trilogy won't win any restoration awards (they could have done a better job), they are still superior to the mostly crummy job MGM has done with the classic Bond films.

They are in serious need of restoration (besides the fact that the transfer and compression job is half assed on many of the older Bond releases). And I also feel that there is a greater chance of MGM re-doing these Bond films than Paramount/Coppola re-issuing better versions of The Godfather Trilogy.

Mi Casa has been tapped to do full 5.1 remixes of the classic Bonds, which leads me to believe MGM will triple dip these titles at a later date.

Dan

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Considering how poor the original elements of the Godfather were, I am happy with the transfer. I think Mr. Harris gave his approval of the job done, as well. No Bond movie can compare to Godfather I&II (even though they are different types of moives), so you know my opinion.

5. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

I vote Bond. James Bond.

6. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Well, I love the Godfather movies, but if I were strapped for cash, I'd probably get the Bond films. Both boxed sets cost about the same amount, and you get 4 more movies if you go with Bond (granted their lengths are much shorter than the Godfather movies).

Also, I don't think the Godfather DVDs will be going anywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if MGM put the Bond set on memoratorium, just as they did the first time they released all the Bonds on DVD.

On the other hand, previous posts have aluded to some remastering work being done on the Bond flicks, whereas the Godfather set is most likely the definitive and final edition on DVD. So piece of mind is guaranteed with the Godfather, but the better value IMO clearly goes to Bond, James Bond.

Oh, and one final thing. I remember reading a post on this board by Robert Harris, and in it, he stated that he thought the video on the Godfather was a faithful represenation of the movie.

7. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

Lets see... You haven't seen Godfather. This seems like a simple decision.

8. NateLindsey

NateLindsey Extra

The Godfather Trilogy is a set you cannot refuse.

Don't get in the boat Fredo!

9. Tom Foley

Tom Foley Stunt Coordinator

Whaddya kiddin'??? Godfather!! Granted that some of the movies included in Volume 1 are some of the better Bond films, no Bond film can EVER live up to either Godfather I & II. Those two films should be in EVERY AMERICAN HOME. Don't listen to all the talk about bad restoration or whatever. For what they had to work with, they did a great job, and threw in some nice supplements. And the box set includes a nice bonus disc, something called Godfather III. Not even a difficult decision.

10. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

Granted, The Godfather movies are better than any Bond. However, I also think Bond have a higher rewatch value. Don't get me wrong, the Godfather's are definately worth rewatching, but it requires more effort to sit through them compared to Bond. If you're a little bored, or something, I'd say you're far more likely to watch Bond.

--Anders

11. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Tough call. My knee-jerk response is, "Hey! Get The Godfadda... whassa matta you, eh?" This single DVD box contains two of the best American films ever made... and the set even includes that situation comedy known as The Godfather Part III! (The ending will have you in stitches.)

However, if you're looking for pure, unadultated fun and lots of hot chicks and far-out gadgets, it's hard to beat Bond in this case. It all depends on your tastes. It would be a sin to never own The Godfather though, so my vote is with the Don.

12. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Unless you want to wake up next to a decapitated horse's head in your bed some morning, I'd go with The Godfather Trilogy. . .

13. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

14. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Whichever you choose should really depend on personal taste, but you eventually need to get both of them. Both are outstanding and deserve a place in any collection.

15. Osato

Osato Producer

James Bond.

"I prefer the '53 myself."