What's new

Godfather Trilogy "mishandled video" (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
When this was released a few years ago, Paramount was taken to task for "mishandling" the elements of The Godfather films on dvd in an article for the New York Times. Could someone in the know tell me exactly what this was about and if the problem (whatever it was) was ever fixed.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is the article you mean; it appeared in the NYT in late 2003:

http://www.unlv.edu/programs/filmarc.../bad_dvds.html

Paramount blames American Zoetrope (Coppola's company) for the bad transfers (well, maybe "bad" is a bit strong but all sides seem to agree it was less than the films deserved); American Zoetrope blames Paramount for the poor condition of the source materials.

Note that the article says Paramount hired Lowry Digital to do a digital restoration; that deal fell apart and it never happened. The video on the single-disc releases in late 2004 was identical to the earlier boxed set.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
What I find odd about this is Parts 1 & 2 were both dye transfer and should be able to take the riggorous printing processes more easily than some other films (IE: Star Wars). Also if I recall correctly Part 1 was restored 10 years ago for a theatrical reissue.

Shame the Lowry deal fell through, at least I can hold off on double dipping till HD.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Parts One and Two were some of the last films printed with the Technicolor dye transfer process, but they were not shot in a three-strip process like films through the early/mid-50s were. The fact that they were printed this way doesn't really tell you anything about the condition of the best surviving vault elements. There are a lot of reasons a film element could be in bad shape beyond the wear and tear due to printing from it.

The DVDs were based on the preceding "restoration" which was reportedly accomplished with substandard elements. Personally, I have no idea what elements exist and in what condition they are to be found.

Regards.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure what the big problem is with the DVDs. Parts one and two look pretty great to me. There is an occasional speckle but otherwise they look good.

Maybe people have a problem with the cinematography?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The dirt & high grain level is apparently a big factor in people complaining about these DVD's, personally I don't have a problem with them....hell, if you want to see a FILTHY transfer then look at Gojira....now that is a filthy transfer.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Yeah, I think that Part Two was one of the last (or THE last) film to be printed using the dye-transfer process by the US Technicolor labs (the British labs remained for a few more years).

But, by the time the film was made, the negatives would have been on Eastman/Kodak stock, so I'm sure that's part of the problem with the restorations and video releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MovieBill