Godfather single disc - worth it? or go for the set?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steven Larson, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

Target has The Godfather, single disc DVD for $9.99 right now. I was wondering how it is, or if I should save my bucks and get the set? Any thoughts?

Steve

2. Dom

Dom Stunt Coordinator

The single disc is exactly the same as the disc on the
    Godfather set, same video and sound specs along with the same commentary by Coppola. Godfather II will be released this fall and I would think the same specs as the set edition.

I picked the single disc Godfather and plan to pick up Godfather II. Not interested in the 3rd movie.

Anyway, if you just want 1 or any particular movie of the set buying single disc is the way to go..and damn cheap as well.

Cheers

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I guess it's cheaper if you really don't want the third movie, but the bonus disc in the original box set has some outstanding stuff on it.

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

As others have said it really depends. If you're only a fan of the first film, then the single disc is exactly the same as the disc in the box set. If you're a Godfather junky then I'd go for the set so you can get the bonus 5th disc. If you're somewhere in the middle, and would like to save some money it would be better to buy the single disc releases IMO. Although I bought the set and haven't regretted it any.

5. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    The only thing that stopped me from buying the set is that I really disliked the Godfather Part III. The transfers for Part I and II are the same, and they will include the same directors commentary. Therefore, I'm going with the single disc releases. I think Casey said it best though, depends on how much you like the films.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'd say it's worth it. When I found it out these were to be released individually, I did two things: (1) checked out the bonus disc; and (2) watched Godfather III (for the last time). The bonus disc had some decent stuff, but nothing as great as the commentary tracks, and Godfather III was even worse than the last time I watched it. It really and truly is awful.

So, I sold the boxset. I haven't missed it for a second, and I got one of the worst movies I've ever owned off the shelf for good.

7. WillG

WillG Producer

If you have a Costco near you, you might be able to find the set selling for a little over 40 bucks (They have it at the one near me, but it is in a different region than where you are). Not bad if you consider what it sold for when it was first released. Many people don't like the idea of having to buy Godfather III but at least the commentary track on it is very good. On the bonus disc, you get a lot of the deleted footage that wound up in "The Godfather Saga" which is something many people like. There is documentary material as well. I recommend the set unless you are really just not interested at all about having Godfather III and the bonus disc.

8. andrew markworthy

You don't want Godfather II?

Godfather III is only bad because of the comparisons made with I and II. There's still a lot of good stuff in it, and you can always fast-forward through Sophia's scenes (it's what I always do).

9. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'm not much of a fan of Part III but even so the Box is the way to go. The bonus disc is excellent & well worth it. [​IMG]

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I bought the set 18 months ago @ rockbottom price and is worth it

[​IMG]

11. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

When the single disc went on sale, I opted to look for sales on the boxset instead.

Got one retail for $49, which is bit more than I wanted to pay...

But I've seen many used sets on sale for the same price and more (today for $64), so I don't feel too bad.

12. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Hell, I don't even think Sofia's that bad. She's not good, but she's not calling attention to herself. She doesn't have much to do anyway. III isn't a great Godfather movie, but it's very much a WAY above average Crime flick.

It's always seemed to me that shitting on Sofia was more a mandatory thing, like joking about Ishtar

13. Ricard Casselha

Ricard Casselha Stunt Coordinator

I'd go for the set. You'll get a ton of great bonus features that isn't avalible anywhere else. But that's me, I always want a complete collection if there's any sequels.

14. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I have absolutely no idea how any fan of the Godfather films could have waited this long to get the DVD. I got the set when it came out in October of 2001. The 3rd movie isn't a BAD film, it just looks bad compared to the first 2.

15. Rod

Rod Agent

I never thought Godfather III was a bad movie. I thought Santino was a bad Don, rest in peace. Sophia Coppola, embarassing as she was in a couple of scenes ("No, Dad!"), although okay in others, is the least of the movie's problems. More serious than her inclusion was the omission of Robert Duvall. The movie needed a stronger male link to the past generation and without it had to rely too much on the new (although handsomely tanned) face of George Hamilton. It also placed Michael's Corleone's sister in the ackward role of having to order Vincent to "strike back." Since when did Connie get involved in stuff like that?

All that aside, still the biggest problem was Al Pacino. He just wasn't Michael Corleone. Even 25 years later it wasn't him. Don't get me wrong - Pacino's acting was fine, outstanding in fact. He just played the part of someone else. Someone with some bad hair.

On the plus side, Part III tells a great story, as good as either of its predecesors. The helicopter hit was well executed, the confession in the garden was telling and the opera finale was on par with the baptism sequence from Part I. And I never saw a guy get killed with his own glasses before!

All in all, a pretty good movie. It's just that, "It was not what I wanted!"

-Rod

16. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Even if you love II and III, it may be cheaper to buy them separately given that I is only $10. The bonus disk is nothing special. The commentaries are special and you can get them either way.

-Reagan

17. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    I say go for the set. I've got it & I've always been very pleased with it. Even if you don't like III the commentary by Coppola is well worth it. Also the bonus disc has some great stuff & a few great easter eggs. III's really not that bad. Doesn't have the punch that Pt. I did but I've always thought it was at least as good as II. Personally, I think II is overpraised. Sorry, but anyone who thinks that it's better than Pt I is way wrong. The scenes with Vito's ascent to power are great but the rest of the film is just Michael brooding over his own solitude. Here's my brief opinion.

18. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

You're forgetting that when the set first came out, it couldn't be found for less than $70-75 (IIRC). $25 is a lot to pay for a film that you're never going to watch more than once.

19. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

Get the set.

20. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

Circuit City is making me an offer I am not sure if I can refuse.....[​IMG]

They have The Godfather for $7.50 this week....

I haven't seen the movie in a long, long time....and now that my HT is pretty well setup, I am starting to fill up my library....hence, the reason I haven't picked them up yet.

Best Buy has the set for $49.99 this week as well. However, it seems hard to pass up The Godfather for less than $8.00.....

decisions, decisions.....