What's new

GODFATHER review up on DVDFile (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You really can't compare one transfer to another with films this old.
Has ANYONE noticed that my biggest criticism relates to the problems seen/heard in Godfather III? Can ANYONE explain why that movie should look/sound as relatively bad as it does? Again, I'd have a lot more confidence that Godfather and II look/sound their best if III wasn't as messy as it is. When I see an 11-year-old flick that looks/sounds like that, I develop doubts that the older flicks were done as well as possible...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
What I don't understand is that regardless of the state of the original negative, couldn't they have done digital cleanup ala North by Northwest to eliminate scratches, etc.? I know this adds to the cost, but the Godfather series is without a doubt one of the jewels in Paramount's catalog. It's worthy of the treatment if anything is.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the elements for these films have been restored?
------------------
-Dwayne

Terry H

Second Unit
What I don't understand is that regardless of the state of the original negative, couldn't they have done digital cleanup ala North by Northwest to eliminate scratches, etc.? I know this adds to the cost, but the Godfather series is without a doubt one of the jewels in Paramount's catalog. It's worthy of the treatment if anything is.

I have exactly the same question. I thought nearly anything was possible with the digital methods available.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that the DVD transfer for GF was done by American Zoetrope, not Paramount. One of the things that was an eye-opener when we visited Paramount last May was how expensive restorations are, let alone just cleaning up films and transferring them to DVD.
I don't know how much money Zoetrope had to sink into this thing, but maybe the fact that they are a smaller company played a part in limiting what they could and could not do with these films as far as restoration goes. Paramount had said that washing the film and other techniques only goes so far to remove dirt and specks. Sometimes they've had to pay people to go through with Q-tips and magnifying glasses to remove as many specks as they could from a film. That's an enormous process.
Just things to keep in mind.

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Thanks for chipping in Carlo. I think we need another HTF tour of the restoration/preservation vaults so a few more people can understand how complex and painstaking this is. It will have to wait a while till the political situation calms down.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree wholeheartedly (and would love to be part of the tour again!).
I am all for improving DVD product. But sometimes people just want "everything done perfectly, according to my specs, and dirt cheap, and I want it released now" and that's just now how it works.
I think people need to understand there are limitations to what can and can't be done, and that varies from title to title. Even movies shot at the SAME TIME on the SAME FILM STOCK can vary widely. One may have been preserved in a cool vault while another may have rotted in a warehouse that had a leaky roof. One may have been shot on film stock that got passed Quality Control at Kodak but shouldn't have. There's a million things that can go wrong. But most people see the lucky ones: the new interpositive (I think it was) that was discovered for Citizen Kane. The digital cleanup (hence no true restoration) for North by Northwest. People take for granted what Harris and Katz did for Vertigo, the millions of dollars and hours spent on that project, thinking it should be done for every film.
Bottom line: Coppola was heavily involved with this transfer. Yet he is not made out of money, and he doesn't have infinite resources and power. I'm sure he did the best he could on these films. He wasn't in a rush to get them out. But at a certain point, you do as much as you can, and you can do no more, whether it's because of lack of funds, or technology, or whatever.
I'm happy these films are on DVD and I'm sure they'll surpass every previous version of GF available on Home Video.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I got to watching The Godfather last night and was pleasantly surprised given the slight negativity among the reviewers. Defintely a few classes below the restoration effort done to the SUPERMAN DVD. However, even with the noticable amount of grain it was emminently watchable.
The worst parts were definitely the DARK SCENES (most noticably the hospital scene). The worst example was a 2nd unit shot of New York City in the evening - I thought it was a washed out picture of the "Missile Command" video game.
Sound wasn't too bad. At least the dialogue was easy to hear. There were some uncharacteristic moments where bass was enhanced, and moments where the music score may have been redone. But, they did not distract from the movie.
ELbert

ChristopherS

Second Unit
This is one of my "must have" purchases so I am wondering how so many people already have the collection. I must be shopping at the wrong stores.
Chris

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Received my copy of THE GODFATHER the other day.
I may have a posted review here by the end of the day.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, how is everyone getting these discs already? i can understand some of you that write reviews getting advance copies, but what about the folks that are saying you have already bought the package in stories?
I AM TOTALLY JEALOUS!!! i can't wait till next tuesday (although i guess i have no choice really!)
peace!

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
quote: Can ANYONE explain why that movie (III) should look/sound as relatively bad as it does? Again, I'd have a lot more confidence that Godfather and II look/sound their best if III wasn't as messy as it is. When I see an 11-year-old flick that looks/sounds like that, I develop doubts that the older flicks were done as well as possible...[/quote]
Even in the 80's, many films suffered from poor film stock, so that is a possibility. And then there are questions of artistic intent. For example, I think Unforgiven on DVD looks horrendous compared to the much older The Outlaw Josey Wales, but many have explained that Eastwood wanted a darker look for Unforgiven.
------------------
Home Theater Pictures
[Edited last by Brian Perry on October 04, 2001 at 10:08 AM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
yeah, how is everyone getting these discs already? i can understand some of you that write reviews getting advance copies, but what about the folks that are saying you have already bought the package in stories?
Here in NYC, there's one chain (and no, it's not Circuit City) that routinely breaks street dates. I know from another HTFer that one of their stores had The Godfather set out almost a week ago. The one near me put it out today -- and pretty brazenly at that. They even had the cardboard standup display set up next to the register (though all the disc sets were securely behind the counter -- some things about New York haven't changed :)).
M.

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
sweet! you guys rock!!
monday is a holiday for me and i would LOVE to have that set going into the three-day weekend. oh well, i'll just sit around and think about watching it...
i'm so pathetic!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks