Godfather - missing subtitles? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy Martin, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Folks-
    Well normally I'm not picky about subtitles. I really don't care if they're burnt-in or player generated. But last night I was watching Godfather and there was a scene where I could swear the burnt-in subs were gone.
    It's the famous scene where Michael kills Sollozo and McCluskey in the restaurant. Before Mike slips off to the bathroom to retrieve the gun he and Sollozo have a chat in Italian. I'm pretty certain that they were english subtitles for this part both on my old VHS copies and on the theatrical print I saw about four years ago when it played at my college theater. But the DVD has none. And when I switched on the player-generate english subtitles for the movie there are none. Is my memory faulty here? I'm gonna have to dig out my old VHS copy to check I guess. Incidentally I know that there are no subtitles for the brief conversation after Mike comes out of the bathroom. Instead there's just the sound of a nearby train.
    - Guy

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I remember there NOT being subtitles whenever I've seen that scene, both on VHS and when A&E was doing their Godfather marathon.
    ------------------
    This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

3. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Me agrees with Yohan. Seen it both on TV and VHS and I remember there being no subtitles in that scene.
    ------------------
    A Little Slice of Heaven

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I have always been frustrated that there were no subtitles on that scene. If you've seen a cut that had subtitles for it, I'd love to know where.

5. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I've seen (pre-97 rerelease) theatrical prints, and there's no subs in that scene.
    It's completely intentional and appropriate, as it makes you feel a bit of Michael's frustration (and impatience with himself) at not speaking Italian very well -- in over his head in a world he was born into but has stayed away from. This only adds to the already overwhelming tension in the scene.
    Brilliant stuff.
    Ryan

6. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

What Ryan said. Omitting the subtitles also puts you in the same position as McCluskey, which is a bit spooky.
    I saw the film theatrically when it was first released, and I remember being struck by the absence of subtitles in that scene. Afterward I realized how clever it was to omit them.
    M.

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Mario Puzo's novel translates Sollozzo's dialogue to Michael into English. I believe he's says something about having great respect for his father, but that he's too old fashioned.

9. Brady B

Brady B Auditioning

Yes, there were no subtiltles and you are correct. the translation is just that. Solozzo has much respect for his father- but his thinking,(the word "pense") is old fashioned.-Three years of Italian in school
    Brady

10. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    What I would really like to have the subtitles for is the song that an elderly man sings at the wedding party (I believe Mama Corleone covers the ears of some of the children during the song). I suspect there won't be subtitles, for some reason (I still haven't received my set - from Amazon).
    Is there anyone out there that speaks Italian that would like to post a translation?

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I saw the first film theatrically on Tuesday night and there were no subs in that sequence.

12. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Well I get the bonehead award of the day. I went back and checked my widescreen 25th anniversary VHS edition, and sure enough, no subs. Not satisfied, I dug out my parents truly ancient pan and scan VHS copy from waaay back and guess what? No subs either. Looks like another case of Nic Cage (not) shooting the airbag in the Rock. My bad.
    - Guy

13. Sam_K

Sam_K Stunt Coordinator

I remember seeing subtitles in that scene... probably in the chronological version of the combined films. I remember the dialogue has something to do with Sollozo showing respect for Michael's father....

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

15. Yohan Pamudji

I always enjoyed trying to figure out what Solozzo was saying in that scene, particularly since he was speaking slowly enough for me to pick out individual words. It's amazing how the combination of speculative translation and attention to hand gestures can help you understand what somebody is saying when you don't even understand the language being spoken.
    Now if only I could figure out what that old man was singing about at the wedding party in Godfather I. [​IMG]
    ------------------

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

17. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Yeah, Chris over at DVD Debate said that there was a TV version in the U.S. with subtitles for that scene. I guess it's easier for a TV station to look like they've screwed up so they put them in.

18. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

The only thing missing from this dvd is quality!

19. Yohan Pamudji

Why, if it isn't bill "I'm still pissed these DVD's don't look like my Fifth Element DVD" lopez. Glad to see that you're consistent about your complaining. Thread crapping, anyone?
    Carlo,
    That's EXACTLY what makes me want to know what he's singing about [​IMG] Those hand gestures are, uhm, enlightening.
    ------------------

20. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

$75 bucks is $75 bucks!