Godfather III with bonus worth getting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

I have a chance to buy Godfather I and II separately. I really did not like the 3rd but I need to get it if I want the bonus disc. Is the bonus disc worth it?

2. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

I think you should go with the 3rd film and bonus disc option. I have the complete set and the bonus disc is a must.

3. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    If you don't get the bonus disc, you'll miss out on the Easter Egg where the Sopranos are trying to watch a bootleg of The Godfather DVD and can't get the player to work. Funny stuff.

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Wow, a whole Soprano episode on the bonus? That's great. The price is not bad too $36 for all 3 previously viewed.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I would recommend the complete trilogy just to get the extras disc. As far as Godfather III, while it wasn't a "bad" movie, I don't know when I'll ever watch it again. I've watched Godfather I & II already twice each since I bought the set. I like them better each time. [​IMG]

7. Rain

Rain Producer

Of course it's just IMHO, but I think The Godfather Part III is a MUCH better movie than it's reputation around here might suggest.

8. Ed Francisco

Ed Francisco Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Rain. GF3 was certainly a good ending to the saga of Michael Corleone... it brought some sense of closure to the series. It certainly isn't as good as GF1 and 2, but it had it's own good merits and highlights.

9. Tom Czr

Tom Czr Agent

What Godfather III?

There is no Godfather III

KEEP SAYING IT!!!!!!

10. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Even though the Godfather Part III sucks ass, it's still a part of the trilogy, so I would recommend owning it.

11. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with some previous posters, GF3 wasn't that bad. If you went into the movie thinking that it was going to be as good as 1 or 2, of course you would be disappointed. But that doesn't make it a bad movie, just not as good as the others. I liked the ending, it showed the final end of someone who had to live with his criminal choices throughout his life.

12. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux

13. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

If the last five minutes of the film don't get you choked up... geez I don't know then.

Yes the film is a bit on the "too heavy for its own good" side, but it is absolutely mesmerizing whenever Pacino is onscreen.

His confessional and the ending are the two most important reasons to own this film.

14. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    I watched these again this weekend. First time in a long while, and maybe the first time ever for all three in succession. Number 3 is a pretty good movie, and works very well when seen in a viewing binge as part of the continuing saga. Coppola was clever enough to splice in clips from the earlier films, reinforcing the continuity, and as is pointed out in the documentary, rarely do actors, writers, and director have the opportunity to revisit their characters twenty years later. The actual aging of the cast creates a realism missing in most sagas.

The story is involving. Perhaps the financial swindling in the Vatican, set against papal assasinations, Sicilian clan warfare, and mobs in New Jersey just isn't sexy enough for the casual viewer.

(Are there any HTF guidelines about sig photos that require viewers to look up the subject's nose?)