What's new

Godfather III -- Director's Cut? (1 Viewer)

Is The Godfather III in the DVD set the director's cut (which has been the standard on previous home video editions)? I know all of the other cut footage can be found on the extra disc in the set, but how is GF III presented? More specifically, what is the running time of GF III? Thanks in advance.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This isn't a definitive answer, I'll check when I get home. But my understanding is that the GFIII Director's Cut is the cut FFC meant to be seen. Unlike The Saga/Epic/Trilogy format which was re-edited to be completely chronological (thus mixing parts I and II together), GF3's additional scenes don't do that.
But again, I'll check when I get home.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
It's 170 minutes which means it's the director's cut. The theatrical cut was approximately 162 minutes.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
What exactly was added? I've never been able to find a definitive resource. Unfortunately, I didn't see it in the theaters because at that point I hadn't seen the other two films.
By the way, The Godfather Part III is an excellent bookend to the trilogy and wrongly maligned. It is a fine film. Not as good as the first two, but it is a great film.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
I haven't watched it in a long time but among the extra footage is a couple of appearances of John Savage, as the late Tom Hagan's son. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think he was in the theatrical cut.
All in all, the extra eight minutes makes no differance to the quality of the film in the end.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I think there was at least one scene between Sofia Coppola & Al Pacino that was added or extended, but I may be wrong.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Guiltfather III? Wrongly Maligned?
The film is watchable but the casting is so horrible. (I'm not only talking about the dreadful Corleone children) George Hamilton???
I like Garcia but he about as much of an italian as Jennifer Lopez was in Wedding Planner.
Doug

bill lopez

Second Unit
Sofia was fine, she played a virginal good girl daughter.
The editing looks like their were scenes missing.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The GFIII director's cut also extends the scene with Michael in the hospital after Vincent hits Joey in Little Italy. It's a better scene in the longer version.
The supplemental DVD contains only one additional scene for the third film: a longer version of the scene between Michael and the archbishop where they strike the deal for Immobiliare. It was originally intended to serve as the film's opening.
M.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Doug,
If it makes you feel any better, GIII's Joe Mantengna has played (badly) a Hispanic on a few occasions, including the Stuart Gordon adaptation of Ray Bradbury's "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" (sadly not on DVD)!

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I wasn't too thrilled with Mantengna(sp) either. (I like his mob work on The Simpsons much better!).
I think the casting (as far as Italian actors go) on The Sopranos (and the first 2 GF) are perfect.
I also think Sofia being too virginal was another problem. This role was going to go to Wynona Ryder(IIRC) and would have been much sexier. The role would have been more interesting with a slight bad streak. I knew this was the director's daughter and she wouldn't be portrayed any other way. And Part II really brought out the psychological problems that the son was just starting to go through and GFIII just swept this under the carpet.
I remember one of the drafts having Micheal's son vs. the Vincent character for control of the family. A much more interesting take then the guilt fest we ended up with.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks