Godfather DVD (sticky tape)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkBurton, Oct 9, 2001.

1. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

Does anyone know how to get the sticky tape off of the back of the Godfather box? There is a piece of paper with the specs attached to the back of the box (sort of like the Men In Black Limited Edition set). Anyway, I took off the paper, but there is sticky residue left behind. Yuck.

2. Dedrick

Dedrick Agent

I don't have the set yet but I assume it's the same stuff that was on the Simpsons and MIB cases, what works for me is to let it dry for a day after you take the paper off and then it rubs off pretty easy.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Keep your flippers off my stache.
    [Edited last by Dedrick on October 09, 2001 at 10:35 AM]

3. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

Actually Paramount's Wayne's World set had a different kind of sticky stuff, and you can still see where it was even after it was removed.

4. Brian_Linnen

Brian_Linnen Stunt Coordinator

yeah, just rub it off with your thumb - i had no problem getting it off and it didn't leave any marks or discoloration.
    what a great looking set!!

5. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

One of the best ways to get tape residue off of plastics (dvd cases, computers, etc) is with, believe it or not, orange air freshner. The citrus eats right through it. The kind I have used in the past is in a small white metal can with some oranges on it. Just spray some on and rub it off with a paper towel.

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I guess I'm lucky. Mine came with the stickers on the outside of the plastic shrink wrap, no residue to deal with.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

7. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I was going to post the exact same question. Yeah, mine left the sticky residue behind. I will let it dry like someone suggested and try to rub it off. I wish they had just lightly affixed the piece of paper like on the Lawrence of Arabia set.
    Update: I was able to remove the glue residue without leaving any marks behind by rubbing it off carefully with my thumb.
    [Edited last by Deepak Shenoy on October 09, 2001 at 08:38 PM]

8. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

How about using a hair dryer to dry the glue? Would that hurt the paper/cardboard packaging?
    ------------------
    This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

9. Tyler Ruggeri

Tyler Ruggeri Stunt Coordinator

Well, color me stupid. I was able to get the sticker off but it left the residue intact. I used warm water and got most of the sticky stuff off but I ended up inadvertantly rubbing off a bit of the black box. There's now a few small white specks where the glue used to be. Ick. I obviously wouldn't have done it if I knew this would happen but who'd have thought the case would be so fragile and easy to rub off? Please tell me I'm not the only one who did this.
    Tyler Ruggeri

10. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

My “sticky stuff” came right off after about 2-minutes of careful rubbing with a dry finger.
    Looks good as new.
    Shawn S

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I was a tad annoyed by the almost "tape" like glue. I used Goo-Gone, and it all came off pretty easily
    Jeff Kleist

12. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    I just put a little lighter fluid on the glue, let it dissolve, and rubbed it off with a paper towel or two. It didn't hurt the box at all...
    doug
    ------------------
    "How can it be the same movie if they've changed my character from a
    tightly-wound convenience-store clerk to a jittery Eskimo
    firefighter?... uh huh... uh huh... uh huh. Well, that's actually a
    pretty good explanation..."
    --James Woods, on The Simpsons

13. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Tyler,
    I did the same thing you did, now that side of the box looks a bit aged.
    ------------------

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Goo gone is the wonder solvent, but I didn't use it because I was afraid it'd eat through the box.
    What I did was peel the sticker off, and like 90% of the sticky stuff came with it. Using the stuff that was on the back of the sticker, I dabbed it against the place on the box with sticky residue and pulled it off quickly. I repeated this process a few times and most of the remnants came off. I used the finger rub method to get the last traces off the box.