What's new

Godfather DVD: Sensormatic vs. Checkpoint? (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
That just refers to the security device inside. There should be no difference in content.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Denward, let me explain in a bit more detail.
Whether you go into a mall retail store like Sam Goody or Babbage's, or a stand-alone store like Best Buy or Wal-Mart, you tend to walk between these security thingies that detect it when people are shoplifting, right?
There have been 3 major companies that build these things: Sensormatic, Checkpoint, and Knogo. I think Knogo's gone out of business or been absorbed or something, I don't hear about them anymore.
In most cases, the store has to take the merchandise and put a tag of their own on each item that will be detected if the item "walks out" without being paid for (when you pay for an item, the clerk is supposed to deactivate or remove the tag on the item).
Sometimes the tag is rather obvious, sometimes they disguise it or incorporate it into something else. For instance, Circuit City's price tags are also Checkpoint security tags. :)
When the DVD market came along, retailers prompted the studios to include the security tags INSIDE the product at the factory. It costs only pennies more, which is naturally passed on to consumers.
eek.gif

So, generally, retailers have choice of buying stock that is pre-tagged with "Sensormatic" or "Checkpoint" tags inside the case. The vast majority of stores use Sensormatic, by the way. Also, they CAN often choose "no tag" stock, which has nothing pre-tagged inside. I don't think it saves them any money, but it might.
wink.gif

I hope this helps you understand the whole thing. Cheers,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Denward

Supporting Actor
Thanks David. Learn something new everyday. Although as Mark Twain said, "The more I learn, the less I know."
------------------

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
An interesting tidbit of info is that most Snappers (at least most of the ones Ive taken apart) have a Sensormatic tag underneath the black plastic tray. If you open up the back of the Snapper case by unhooking the top and bottom and sliding the artwork out, you'll see the tag in there. Interestingly enough, most online e-tailers send DVDs with the tags still in them. I guess they're worried about employee theft! :)

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
And imagine my horror when one of those sticky magnetic bastages was glued DIRECTLY TO my "The Game" DVD.
At least it was stuck to the pan and scan side. I knew I would never watch that side anyway.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've had several of those bastards stuck directly to the discs. I guess you see more of that when you buy more than the average number of DVD's, as I do. However, I can't say I've EVER had one stuck to the disc - to my recollection - when it was any sort of double-sided disc! I guess soap and water will clean off the residue enough to play. If not, a definate exchange!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I am anxiously awaiting the day that the different HTF factions develop in support of Sensormatic versus Checkpoint and we see quotes such as:
  • How can we convince Paramount to give us Sensormatic!
  • When a disc has both Checkpoint and Sensormatic, how come my store security gear does not automatically default to Checkpoint?
  • Sensormatic rulz!
  • Dude! Checkpoint rokz my ballz!!!
  • Luca$h & $tealberg have a controlling interest in Sensormatic and Columbia/Sony will only use it on their films
It seems inevitable.
wink.gif

Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
How can we convince Paramount to give us Sensormatic!
When a disc has both Checkpoint and Sensormatic, how come my store security gear does not automatically default to Checkpoint?
Sensormatic rulz!
Dude! Checkpoint rokz my ballz!!!
Luca$h & $tealberg have a controlling interest in Sensormatic and Columbia/Sony will only use it on their films
laugh.gif
ROTFLMAO
laugh.gif

[Edited last by Dave Beebe on November 13, 2001 at 05:35 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks