What's new

Godfather DVD - any plans for solo releases? (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
IMO, the Godfather and the Godfather 2 are the two best american films of the past 50 years, so i'd love to have them on DVD. But i resent being forced to buy the terrible Godfather 3 to get them.
Does anyone know if there are any plans for a later separate release, kind of like Disney did with Toy Story and Toy Story 2? Of course, this criticism doesn't apply to Disney, since TS and TS2 were both great films...
------------------
History can be cruel in its brevity of words

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Never say never. :)
The initial plan is to release the set only. But you know that eventually Paramount will release them as standalone. I mean, wherever there's money to be made, right? They won't have to remaster them or anything, just repackage the existing discs.
But be prepared to wait, Paramount historically doesn't move too swiftly on the DVD front...

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
You can always look at this way: $75 for two of the greatest movies ever made, plus the supplemental discs. :) If you are a serious fan of the films, buy them and enjoy them now. There are outlets to sell them if/when the time comes that The Godfather DVDs are available individually.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
It was a smart move on Paramount's part to release these movies only as a box-set (this isn't a criticism - after all they are in the business to make money). Anyone who is on the fence about buying the set (including myself) can use Tom's logic and convince themselves they are getting a good deal. But $75 is far more than the $40-$50 I would normally pay for two movies on DVD (even if they happen to be the greatest movies of all time). Of course if and when the movies become available separately (I think they eventually will), the extras that are currently on the 5th disc will not be included. So, that's a good reason to pick up the box set instead of waiting for the solo releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.