What's new

godfather 2/lotr EE space issues? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
The Godfather Part II is on 2 discs because Paramount decided to do so. Probably because they felt that it would be the safest way to compress/encode the film on DVD
in the press release for the dvd set, i remember paramount saying they split up gf2 because they wanted to keep the high video and dd5.1 quality, and have a commentary. seems like the video would only compress so much then.

CJ

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Why would you bother having another DD 5.1 track? Subtitles are provided in other languages
A music score-only and a sound effects only track were considered but dropped due to the space issue. If I could get a score only track by halving the bitrate for the FOTR commentaries, it'd be well worth it.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
I would of also liked the music only track. I dont care much for effects tracks, but music only tracks are awesome, especially with the music made for FOTR.

l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Another thing to keep in mind, somebody mentioned that GFII uses 3 layers (only one on the second disc). I'm pretty sure FoTR EE uses 4 layers, hence the room for additional soundtracks. There's a big difference between 18GB and 9GB, so just because GF II doesn't need quite as much space as FoTR EE doesn't mean it can get by in one-half the space (which is what would be required to fit it on one disc).

Also, the extra soundtracks are a bit of a red herring, because even DD5.1 or half-rate DTS take up a small amount of bandwidth compared to the movie itself. DD5.1 = 448kbs, while the video will use 10-15 times that much bandwidth on average. So just because FoTR has a few more soundtracks (many of which are mono commentaries) doesn't necessarily mean much when comparing total space needed between the two movies.

Personally, I would like to see higher bitrates used for all movies, with more long movies split across 2 discs. I'd much rather have to get up once to change discs if that's what it takes to get optimal video quality. Besides, who can watch a 3-4 hour movie without needing to get up at least once for a bathroom break or to get a drink or something.

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Can I just say I like the side splits on Fellowship, Godfather 2 and for that matter Lawrence of Arabia.

It brings a real theatrical experience into the home, especially as lawrence and Godfather 2 had these breaks on there original run.

Warner also did a similar thing with My Fair Lady, although you didnt have to change disc.

Lance UK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks