God Bless Arnold Schwarzenegger

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronP, Jan 26, 2002.

1. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

Arnie always has been, and always will be my favorite actor, and I hope he his new movie Collateral Damage is the first in a long line of new successes and causes a career rebirth for Arnie.

A list of the Arnie movies that I grew up with, and still think rule!

Conan the Barbarian

Terminator

Commando

Predator

The Running Man

Total Recall

T2

These are the great Arnie movies, one or two scenes are all it takes to make Commando great (the saw blade that cuts the guys head in half anyone), and the rest of these movies are great all around.

Arnie has made many other entertaining, but not great movies,

Conan the Destroyer

Raw Deal

Twins

True Lies

Kindergarten Cop

End of Days

The 6th Day (is anyone else still freaked that Robert Duvall was in it?)

Erasor

End of Days

And of course, Arnie has made some duds, and when Arnie makes a DUD, he does it with style. All of his bad movies are HORRIBLY BAD! hehe there's no marginal movies here. At least when he bombs, he does it right.

Junior

Batman and Robin

Jingle all the Way

Red Sonjia

Luckily the duds are only a few. Let's give a big Cheer to Arnold on his future movie success, hopefully T3 will rule, I think that Crusades movie if it ever gets made will rule, and GOD ONLY HOPES that King Conan will be made.

I feel that Arnie lost track when his movies went from being R rated down to PG-13's and lower. PG-13 is the bane of all human existance, and I'm glad to know that Collateral Damage is rated R!

CHEERS ARNOLD!

2. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

The trailer for Collateral Damage looks like he is getting back to his roots. The wife and I can't wait to see it.

3. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Long live Ahnuld!!! Hes the man!

4. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

Unfortunately, it looks as if there may be a chance of Collateral Damage going straight to video here in the UK... there is a rumoured DVD release date for April. I'm certainly hoping it's not true, otherwise I think Warner must be over-reacting to recent events - after all, it's getting released in America, which was where the tragedies occurred...

5. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Aaron, Where do you put The Last Action Hero?

6. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

ugh, I had my memory erased after I saw Last Action Hero, thanks for bringing it back. I put it in the bottom section.

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Despite being the prototypical "action icon", I've always had a soft spot for Arnie. Probably because he's a great example of an American success story, or maybe because he just seems like an amiable fellow. I've always enjoyed his work enough to forgive the handful of AWFUL flicks he's been in.
    Movie fans like larger-than-life heroes, and Arnie's been just that for almost 20 years now. He's not likely to ever win an Oscar, but that's OK. He's just a big lug you'd like to hang out with, and he's an easy hero to root for!
    Here's hoping that Collateral Damage and T3 are both added to the "Good List" of Arnie Flicks!
    He'll be back...

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

9. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

Pumping Iron I saw on TV and thought was OK, but I think of it as more of a documentary. And I have never seen Herc in NY except for the footage they showed on like A&E Biography.

DYK that Arnold was a tank driver in the Austrian army? Kinda cool. I prefer when action actors have some real military experience, though I can forgive Sly and The Duke.

As for Arnold's acting, as long as they keep him controlled and not to go out on too much of a limb, he's fine, but when they give him too much stuff (End of Days, 6th Day) he starts to look a little shaky. The stuff where he was talking to himself in 6th Day was REALLY bad. hehe

10. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I was prepared not to flame you until I saw your sig. You call Arnold an "actor" [​IMG]? [​IMG] There's no accounting for taste [​IMG] [​IMG]. I love Arnold movies, but calling him an actor is amusing.
    -Tom

11. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Arnie is no less an actor than are Freddie Prinze Jr. and any one of a thousand talentless performers.

To say that Arnold has improved his skills over the years is a mammoth understatement.

12. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

If you want to contend that Arnie isn't an actor, you'll have to name me someone who could have pulled off T2 better than him. Good luck [​IMG]

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Aaron:
    Pumping Iron is indeed more of a documentary. HiNY is a laughable movie, featuring "Arnold Strong" who has been dubbed with an purely American voice. That's a pity, I would have liked an Austrian sounding Greek semi-god. It's on DVD (!) and you need it to complete your collection.
    Arnold is an actor alright, and he's at his best when they have a funny, noisy character next to him (see: Commando, Twins). Or else, if he's perfectly cast (T and T2, Conan, Predator). Also, the director of the movie should be brilliant.
    Cees

14. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

15. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Some may hate Junior but I think he did a heckuva good job acting in that one.

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm a huge fan of most of Arnold's movies, but this thread reminds me of Peter O'Toole's line in My Favorite Year:

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Actor, movie star, not-an-actor...

Does it really matter what he is?

Cees

18. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You need to see My Favorite Year, Cees. The line is a joke, and the plot developments that follow make very much the same point you just did.

M.

19. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Yes, I agree. At thirty years old, I still have a soft spot for Arnold and I still go see his newest action movie on opening night. I'm looking forward to Collateral Damage.

I think Arnold has definitely held up much better over time as an action hero than Stallone has. Stallone is toast.

Of course, my favorite action hero is Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones, followed closely by Bruce Willis' wonderful wisecracking John McClane.

Regards,

Dan

20. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

jingle all the way was awesome!