What's new

Goatees: the new Mullet (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to start a thread called Lamb Chops: the new Goatee.

For myself...if I have more than 3 days growth, I have to wear a beardnet for work...so I usually stay beard-free. But, every once in awhile, I'll leave the goatee grow for a week or so and then shave it off. I'm not so much a fan of the full-blown goatee...but when it's not much more than stubble, it's got that rugged, Malboro Man look. Well, that's what I've convinced myself, anyways.

Bruce

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The new mullet is that spikey, textured thing you see adorining the heads of boy-bands.

Mullets never looked anything but bad. Goatees (specifically Van Dykes) can look good.

And hey - Robert De Niro wears one in 'Heat' so nerrrr!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Goatee hating swines! :D ;)

I have one, I like it. As with most guy's I guess, I hate to shave my upper lip, so I keep a moustach, and I really hate shaving my chin, hence the goatee.

It's nowhere near as extreme as that pic though. Mine looks just like Edward Norton's goatee in American History X. I try to keep it simplistic and minimal, but still plainly visible.

Besides, I think the ladies like it. :D

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Mine looks pretty much like the picture above. I'm a Van Dyke in a "Van Dyke". Had it since I messed up my beard in '93. The only thing my wife and I argue about is the length. She wants it super long, and I like to keep it short for the office. I don't wear it to look cool. It covers up a lot. My left ear is peirced three times, but I don't wear anything in it. I'm sorry, the "guy" earing is just silly IMO.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I've had a van dyke/goatee for almost 3 years now. Yeah, it's trendy and popular but so what? Personally, I think mustaches (without other facial hair) look silly on nearly every man (we won't even get into women with mustaches :eek: ). A hundred years ago or whatever, most men had beards or long sideburns. I don't get too upset knowing that my facial hair is there because of trends.

Well to me a clean-shaven face is the default manner in which a man should look
I find this interesting. It's really a matter of subjective tastes. Gary thinks guys look better clean-shaven (and I agree that SOME men do). I think mustaches look silly. But it's all subjective. Moses was not given an 11th Commandment about how thou shalt keep thy face! :D

For the record, I have neither a weak nor a double chin. Before I had the goatee, I would grow a beard 2-3 times a year, usually between October and April. I simply HATE shaving (see this thread) but I also hate the work in keeping up a full beard, so a goatee or van dyke or whatever is sort of a happy medium. My wife prefers me clean shaven, so again, the goatee is a compromise.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'm with Garrett way up above - I also wear a goatee because I hate my chin. Actually, it's that I don't have a chin. The goatee gives me an image of rugged masculinity :)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Gotta agree with Garrett.

I also will tell Gary Dee that it seems like most of his "comments and observations" are completely intended to tick people off, and saying "I don't mean to offend" is garbage. If you are being offensive, you likely know it.

John Watson

Screenwriter
After awhile, ya stop caring. I have a full beard (tho its rather thin) now, ‘cause it saves so much time (just trim it every week or so).

I say good on ya, for all the guys with mullets, ponytails, brushcuts, mutton chops, handlebars, etc. Either because they're grooving in a time warp, or ‘cause they say - I don't follow the conformist trends.

(Technical point - facial hair would be the Default setting, everything else is a Customized setting.)

As for clothes today? : that's worth thousands of threads (hehe) :D

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I prefer the clean shaven look simply because I find the 2-3 weeks of growing a beard to be more annoying and uncomfortable than shaving.

Most of my friends (30-somethings) have goatees. They all grew them around the same time in the 90's and still have them. I occasionally goof of them about their matching goatees. I agree with the original poster that they have sort of run their course...

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hmmm. I've had a Van Dyke from time-to-time, but 90% of the time I have a full "Riker-esque" beard, as a couple of my buddies call it. Not sure if that style has a real description or name. :)

I first grew the beard while I was in the Navy. I got tired of my instructors and superiors asking if I'd shaven that morning. (Fast growing facial hair!) I've been sportin' one ever since. I hate shaving, so it's great. Just keep it nicely trimmed.

I shave it off from time-to-time, just for a break, but then my wife complains and I grow it right back again. :)

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I grew out my goatee for a Halloween costume back in '95 and decided I liked it. Within a year all of my friends had one too. I agree with it getting a little out of hand, though. Last month I was in one of said friend's weddings, and between the groom and the four groomsmen, ONE did not have a goatee.

Since growing it out, I have shaved it a handful of times (all for different Halloween costumes, I think), and frankly, I think I look better with it. The other issue, of course, is that I met my wife post facial hair, and she prefers me with it. I'm not opposed to the full beard, it's just that the right side of my face is a little patchy compared to the left when I let it grow, so it looks kind of silly.

Bill Wise

Agent
I'm with Garrett, also. With a Van Dyke, at least it looks like I HAVE a chin. Plus, I've had mine since '91 so I don't feel like I'm following any trend. Neither my wife nor any of my kids has ever seen me without one. As for the short haircut, I shave my head because, well... my hair's all falling out anyway. ;-) Just finishing what Mother Nature started. Interesting how that started happening just after I got married. In fact, both my wife's brothers are bald, too. Do I see a pettern developing here? Hmmmm.....

Bill

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
This whole thread is pissing me off, because I'm 24, and it has become very apparent that I will never be able to grow any facial hair without looking like a total idiot. :frowning: I'm just not a hairy person.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I had a goatee/Van Dyke for a couple years ('94-'95), then lost it for 4 years in the Army, then have had it again the past 3. I like the way it looks on me and I think my upper lip is too thin, so it helps conceal it.

I agree that it makes shaving easier and I'm not much for following trends. It doesn't look good on everyone, but I like it and so does my wife. I usually grow a full beard (neatly trimmed) during the winter months.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I usually grow a full beard (neatly trimmed) during the winter months.
Same here... Spring time trim down to the goat.

I guess if you think the goat needs to go the way of the mullet then dont grow one and cruise the high school in your '82 camero with a bald head and face :D lol j/k ;)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Gary, you're dead on, IMO. :D

And just like with mullets, a lot of the athletes have them. :)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I've had a goatee (no mustache) for about 10 years. I have it because I (and my wife) like it. I really don't care about style or trying to look cool. I don't need to impress anyone. I shaved mine off once 7 years ago when I got married (because my Mom wanted me to) and I hated how I looked without it. I don't like full beards or mustaches so the goatee fits me perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks