What's new

Go Tell the Spartans AR? (1 Viewer)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Didn't find anything regarding this via the Search.

Picked up 'Go Tell the Spartans'. HBO put it out. The back of the case says 4x3 and it is indeed full screen. Is this OAR for this film? IMDB doesn't say.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Ah, so it is 1.33:1, Mark? Damn. No online reviews, so I was confused. Good old HTF - though it is bad news! HBO are notoriously hit or miss when it comes to OAR, anamorphic, progressive transfering/encoding. The film was Avco-Embassy, so its a shame that it didn't fall into MGM's hands.

Other than the ratio, how is the transfer, Mark?

Cheers.

walter o

Supporting Actor
The OAR should have been 1:85. Odd HBO would release theatrical features like this and FLASHPOINT fullframe on DVD, but their TV movies they have been releasing it 1:85 DVD. DVD is full frame, sadly. If the HBO rights do expire, more likely it will go back to American Cinema (who was originally MarVista), as this was a similar deal with their GOOD GUYS WEAR BLACK.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Avco-Embassy owned the theatrical rights only, and I think those rights may have expired by now. (I don't think Studio Canal, which inherited Embassy's holdings, currently owns it.) The film's production company sold the theatrical and video rights to separate distributors when the original deals were made in 1977/1978. I think HBO owns the video rights in perpetuity.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What a drag. I am on a Burt Lancaster kick at the moment and I have wanted to see this film for years. Burt put up $150,000 of his own money to complete the film, which had a difficult production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks