What's new

gluing lego pieces together...possible? (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
If you do get CA glue on your hands, remove it with nail polish remover. Works every time.

This thread is making me want to buy LEGOs.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

damn, that's a lot easier than prying your fingers apart and trying to cut the glue joint between them with an xacto knife without cutting yourself

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I've done the bowls, but with this many pieces, you're talking about coffee cans and small pots! :)

DO NOT try and do that in one day. I dig the caffine rush too, but - well, you'll find out.

Glenn

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lol. due in part to my part-time gig at bb, part of my night-owl tendencies, etc.

glenn, i definitely don't plan on doing this in a day. although it's gonna kill me, i may actually wait until i move (i might be moving in a few months). i would *hate* to put this together only to have it bust during the move.

but seeing that big box just sitting there on the floor, calling me ... it's killin' me i tell ya! :)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Ahh, the Star Destroyer. I bought that last summer and spent a good 2 days working on it. It is probably the most boring Lego build that I've ever done, but it is by far the coolest when complete.

However, I wouldn't glue any pieces together because there is a better way to build the inside frame on the Star Destroyer. The frame of the ISD will start to creep after about a month and there will be a noticable bend at the top of the ship because nothing is there to support it.

However, if you flip the bottom frame over and build the two frames together it is much stronger. There are pages on the internet detailed the exact details. I would build it to the instructions and then later find what modifications need to be made.

http://www.fbtb.net/ is a good site.

Plus gluing Lego's together will kill the resale, and what if you mess up?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx joe for the link. i tried to search it for info on the star destroyer, but couldn't find any. can you provide a specific url? (if not, no biggie.) thanks also for the info about the frame-support problem as well. i'll take a look (when the time comes) and possibly do some mods myself.

i don't really plan on reselling it - at least i don't think so. but..as for the screwing up part...well i'm certainly not prone to that! :D

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
If the glue melts part of the model tell people it was from battle damage (damn those tie-fighters).:emoji_thumbsup:

I had a friend who used to build the WW2 models and part of the hobby was to incorporate a "wear-n-tear" look to it. I remember the first time I walked in on this he taking a soldering iron to a finished product and shocked me. What freaked me out is that he'd build intricate diorama and then trash it after a week. I was amazed that for some in the hobby this was common and had one of his works for about a 3 year stint until a former girlfriend trashed it at the time (needed a space for one of her things at the time). For some it's about the building of it and not the maintaining or keep it. Good luck with your glue quest.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hmm, i didnt notice that there are other "all lower case" people besides myself.
"Member Since:
December 2nd, 1999"

i never could stick with a lego project. i was too frustrated from the pieces coming apart too much.
i wonder why i never just glued them togther.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ACK! i've been preceded by almost two years.

ugh...don't let the secret out tony. i'll pay whatever you want!

the shame...the horror...the utter disgrace and desparity.... :frowning:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i thought about that mark...couldn't decide if i wanted to keep the caps in there...decided it would "offset" my lower-case typing. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks