What's new

gluing lego pieces together...possible? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

since i'm officially popular now ( ;) ), santa decided to reward me with one of these...

lego star destroyer

so i was thinking about making it permanent and possibly gluing it together. however, a google search didn't dig up too much info on what type of glue would work. some mentioned the type of cement you use on pvc pipes (diluted), some others mentioned some other chemical-sounding adhesive, etc.

my only fears are twofold.

1. using a cement that is too strong, thereby melting the plastic
2. using a cement which discolors the lego blocks

anyway, just wondering if anyone here had any ideas...

thanks!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I would think any of the CA quick set glues should be fine, they definitely won't damage plastic, and they shouldn't discolor it. Got any old legos? Try gluing a couple together with some krazy glue, if it works out OK head over to a hobby shop and get a big bottle. It's used to glue together RC airplanes, and probably other stuff too.

Plastic cement would do the damage you're worried about, I don't think CA will.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx phillip. good idea on CA (cyano akrolite) (sp?) ... i'll check out my local hobby town as well.

i'm definitely gonna get some old legos and do some testing before i proceed on this one. :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If that's the one that I have, that is one heavy MF!

I was not only going to glue mine together (haven't gotten around to it yet, so I don't know what glue to use), but I wanted to hang it from the ceiling with some picture framing wire.

Since no fingers would touch it after it got hung up, you only need to glue the bottom on. Ok, and all of the little pieces on the sides (have fun!) :)

Gravity will take care of the rest, right?

Glenn

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I saw a show on TV the other day that talked about professional LEGO builders and the folks that work at LEGO headquarters. They make these huge, elaborate LEGO structures and, sure enough, I saw them glue the pieces together while they did it. Truthfully it looked like they just used regular superglue, at least it came in those small, metal tubes. They just put a few drops around the holes on the underside of the pieces and that seemed to work okay. I think if there's any chance of discoloration, it'll be on the inside anyway and won't really matter.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

To be honest, I don't remember

Hot glue would probably work too, but I think it would be too messy, I hate those little strings of glue you always get.

I'd bet anything there's a lego forum somewhere, and this is in their FAQ.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'd probably go with plastic model glue. You used to be able to find it in WalMart, with the toys. Not sure if they still have it. Testors brand, in a red and white metal tube. I wouldn't use the glue pen in this particular instance.

Build sections at a time, gluing them together as you go. As the glue sets overnight, glue sections to each other.

Sounds like a fun project.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Here's a great website for LEGO fanatics out there. It's fascinating to read about the things this guy does.

Freaking awesome LEGO dude's website.

You can click on his FAQ link and note item #3:
"When I do glue a model for a client I use the following glue: Oatey, All Purpose (PVC, CPVC, ABS). It is available at most hardware stores (look in the plumbing section)."

Enjoy browsing his portfolio. He's got lots of pictures of models as he builds them.

-Jason

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
glenn, glad to hear you had fun with yours. any tips? ;)

i've done some more research and it does seem that ca glue may be the best choice. i'm going to stay away from regular model glue as it *dissolves* the plastic pieces - which is not what i want. i need the adhesive to bond (or whatever the term is) instead.

i found this stuff (http://www.miracleglue.com/toys.htm) which supposedly works on legos, but it looks like regular ca glue. so i'm going to my hobbytown to check it out.

jason, i actually ran across the same website in my research. that guy is amazing.

nobody! i'll never give up the title. :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

This type of glue works by melting both sides of the plastic you're gluing, then it hardens and fuses together, he wants to avoid that.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: gotcha!

[edit] - actually i think i read another thread with somebody else tryin' to bite my move. man, the tenacity of some people... :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lego's are fun dome! c'mon...ya know ya wanna build another one.

i just finished building this as well.

it's really more from the bionicle series, but it's still fun to build. and much more durable...this one can actually withstand some bumps 'n' bruises. it's sitting on top of my stereo rack, plus i have a hailfire droid on my sub.

heck, my stereo gear is starting to look more like a lego display case then anything else. it's drivin' my wife crazy! :D

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
ca = cyanoacrylate

Just don't get it on your fingers... nasty stuff to remove.

Best of luck with that Star Destroyer!

Mike

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
ah yes, that was me. i can't win by seniority, so that's out. i'm waiting for you to slip up! as far as my name, i dont consider that capital letters, it's sort of like the 'prince' logo, but i just use more familiar symbols :)

CJ

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ted, ok - for what it is worth. The bags in the boxes never seem to have every part you need for any step, so that means that you've got to unpack it all.

I'd pull out all of the wing-like pieces - left and right, and put them back into two of the cartons. As for the rest, I would not open anything unless it is on top of a large towel or piece of felt. Don't open the small pieces up until you need them. Most of them get used up on step 19, or page 24 if they didn't redo the manual.

Make sure you're not low on Asprin! :)

Glenn

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dunno about aspirin, but i suspect my espresso machine may be gettin' a workout. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks