What's new

Glow on Sony 32" TV... (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I'm really not sure what to call it, but its on a KV32FS100, and occurs when I'm watching movies with 16:9 squeeze on. If there's a bright scene in the movie, or in a particular shot, the brightness on the screen causes the area in the black bars to turn greyish (not the whole area, just causes a sort of glow in that part of the screen adjacent to where the brightness is...if the brightness is almost totally white, the glow area extends about 3 inches out and is a medium shade of grey). It is HORRIBLY distracting and was wondering if there was a way to get rid of it. Thanks.

(If needbe, I'll take a picture, I know this description of it probably sucks, but I'm hoping someone recognizes the problem even with the terrible description I've given)

Jason8

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I have a 27" wega and use the 16:9 compression mode for DVD viewing. I think I know what you are talking about, it's like the area where the picture was before it is compressed, is not totally black, right? I found that turning the Brightness control down, maybe 5 notches below halfway, gets rid of it. Also, are you using component video connections? If you are get a decent cable. I bought a cheap acoustic research cable, and it could not hold black levels very well; i could never get the right balance between picture and brightness settings. I got the Monster 3 component video cable (i know, i know), and it really helped this problem, it's really a high quality cable. Or if you want cheaper, try bluejeanscable.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
*putting on his flame suit*

Monster THX-Ultra 1000 Component Video is what I'm using...dealer pricing though through connections ;)

I'll try making video adjustments, although the TV is set to the AVIA disc, so I don't see how that could cause a problem...I don't want to really alter the picture that much.

Jason8

Agent
Real Name
Jason
16:9 compression mode is sweet, but it looks like it is not perfect. Oh,and I guess you already know about this. I also went into into the factory menus, and turned down the Red Push abit as detailed at that website. Another thing that helps, turning off all the lights when watching in 16:9 enhanced mode. In the darkness, the dark grey areas disappear.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You are probably seeing the effects of stray light reflecting about within the glass panel of the screen. This is one reason why some folks make curtains or mattes to cover the unused parts of the screen to match the aspect ratio of the movie.

I would expect that in a really dark room, this bleeding of light would be more noticeable. But when the room is really dark, the correct contrast setting will be lower and lowering the contrast will reduce the bleeding. Calibrating the TV for a darkened room also prolongs the life of the TV and makes it unnecessary to have back lighting to reduce eye strain.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks