Glory Days anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Catherall, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I caught the season opener last night just by chance. I had no idea this was coming, so I had no preconceived ideas about what it was. In a nutshell...I think it was a weak show. I'm not really looking forward to any future episodes.
    Spoilers follow...
    The main character, the "novelist" (was his name Mike?) was very inconsistent. Most likely because of the way he was written. One minute he's a cool, level headed mystery...the next he's an over zealous consperacy theorist.
    I would love to move to Glory...all the women there are HOT! Even the older women look good. Wow!
    Now what was up with that coroner? She had a cadaver garden but not even a locked gate? What kind of security is that? There's no way she couldn't rule out possible tampering when performing her studies. Also, if I were a kid there I'd be stealing bodies. [​IMG] She also seems to be a little too giddy about people dying because they have a doner card. She'd be a suspect in the next murder in my book. But she is quite a dish.
    Then the sheriff just seemed a little too concerned about being labeled "gay." He's definitely a closet case.
    The kid sister was a bad actress, IMO. All her lines were delivered too rapidly...as if she had been practicing them for hours. Then there was that desk lamp she was carrying with the elastic cord. [​IMG] She walks about 20 feet away until the cord draws taught (almost unplugging), then takes a couple more steps (although the cord is already stretched to the max) before it finally unplugs.
    I had the murderer pegged from the very beginning. How could our "novelist" not have seen who did it? He'd have to have tunnel vision. And the crowd wasn't that thick. Then when "ferry guy's" ex-wife was in the police station it was pretty apparent that she was in on it. No grief whatsoever. Even if she didn't love him any more he was still her son's father. She didn't show an ounce of remorse...how could they not see that?
    That poor waitress at the diner...how many hours a day does she work?
    And don't even get me started on the novelist's mother...what a nutcase.
    Bad show...I won't be tuning in again.
    Did anybody else see it? What were your thoughts?

2. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Well, I'm not usually one to use phrases like "sucked balls" or "profuse vomiting" but...

Bland writing, horrid acting, and Williamson ripping of dialogue directly from his own movies.

Plus, I didn't necessarily think the mom was guilty because she didn't show remorse. I just figured that she, like everyone else on the show, couldn't emote worth a darn. Even the son, who witnessed his dad's death, seemed only slightly flustered.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I wondered where Eddie Cahill wind up after leaving Friends, he played "Tag" last season as Rachel's male assistant that she had the hots for?
    I liked it when he got "inked" by his mom.
    Theresa Russell has got the strangest speech pattern, it's a bit drowsy, and sex-inducing. [​IMG]
    Wasn't too keen on the cast, the younger kid sister was cute, but the rest of the women were average.
    I can't seeing this show lasting to be picke

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Didn't watch the show, but I've read a bit about it.
    One reason for the character to be inconsistent is that the show changed direction. Originally more of a Dawson's redux; now a Scream-meets-Dawnsons.
    As for the women being average, is that average for The WB, or average average [​IMG]
    //Ken

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I think Patrick has just been looking at too many really hot women to think they're just average. [​IMG]
    The good looking women are the only thing this show has going for it.

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

It was bad. I groaned at the line the sherrif says in the diner.
    It was right out of Scream 2. I would probably give it about **1/2 out of *****. (movies are ****) [​IMG]
    I'll tune in next week but if I'm not seeing anything good, I'm tuning out. Mid-Season replacements can end up good (Buffy) or terrible....

7. Jose C

Jose C Extra

It was pretty lame overall, for all the hype I'd heard about it. Weak acting and even weaker writing and directing. The only reason to keep watching is the cadaver-loving coroner, but even that's a stretch. IMHO, I'd have to say that Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams have the market on good writing and good productions for the new "teen-to-early 30-something" TV.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Ahhh, Gilmore Girls [​IMG]
    Love that show. Now that's some good TV.