What's new

(Global) Appreciation of Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Having family abroad (especially in the orient) we often talk about movies coming from Asia to the US and becoming successful.

But, when we talk about American Movies going abroad, "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" gets brought up consistently. I've been told it still plays in some theaters in China & Japan, (with some nice digital photos to back it up) and that the soundtrack over there is wildly popular.

I admit, I really liked this film when it first came out, but it seems to me to be one of those films that build a life for itself after its initial release. On first viewing, if someone would have told me "this will be huge in China" I don't think I would have believed it :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I can't speak to the global aspect, but this certainly built it's fire with me after the initial release. I thought it was okay and enjoyable, but nothing special. After buying the DVD (mainly for the music), I absolutely fell head-over-heels with this film, as did a friend of mine who initially had the same reaction to the film as I did. It is now tied with Fargo as our favorite Coen Bros. film. Every viewing has made me love this film more and more.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
That's similiar to myself. First time I saw it, I thought it was pretty good. The second time was totally different. Absolutely loved the movie! I would rank this one third after Miller's Crossing and Fargo.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I liked this film the first time I saw it.

I smile thru the entire thing when I watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks