Glengarry Glen Ross, Vincent & Theo R2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickL, Jan 10, 2002.

1. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Hi all multi-regioners! Many thanks for the informative posts here - I got most of the answers I needed by searching past posts.

While I wait for my 996 to arrive, I've been buying discs...most have already been mentioned here. However I couldn't find any comments on "Glengarry Glen Ross" or "Vincent & Theo" which are both issued by an outfit called Carlton, in R2, and available at blackstar. Can anyone vouch for the quality of these?

Thanks

2. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,

I don't own either of these titles, but Glengarry Glen Ross is one of my all time favorite movies. Unfortunately, I believe the R2 version has gotten some fairly bad reviews. If memory serves, the disc is pan and scam and has little to nothing in the way of extras. Of course, this is the kind of movie where transfer quality, audio quality, etc. might not be quite as important, but I'm waiting for something better. This movie deserves it.

Neil

3. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Thanks, Neil. I had noticed that "GGR" was 4:3, but in my enthusiasm I was hoping it was open-matte, the lesser of the two evils. I think I'll also wait out a better release but I have a feeling it could be a long while. Whoever holds the rights to release this in R1 probably has no clue that they have it or how wanted it is!

As for "Vincent & Theo" it's another title that I fear may fall through the cracks in R1. My impression was that MGM held the rights, because this was a Hemdale title, but I was recently told that this may not apply here because of the particular history of the title, which originated on European television. I'm gonna have to chance this one.

4. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    The R2 Glengary Glen Ross is 4x3 pan & scan and the picture quality is appalling. My off-air VHS recording is sharper!

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Whats particularly galling is that the channel FilmFour in the UK keep broadcasting the film in anamorphic 2.35:1, so its not like a widescreen master doesn't exist. It looks rather nicer on my anamorphic VHS than it does on the DVD...

6. Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt Stunt Coordinator

Totally agree I got the Glen Garry Glen ross dvd for my birthday last summer and it is horendous I can't even watch but it does make an atractive door stop.