What's new

Glee Season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Watched this as I figured it'd be the tribute episode. Kept watching though. This show has gotten so darn BAD!! Has it always been like that? I watched the first season pretty regularly and liked it. But maybe only for the novelty of it? Just bad...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
All I can reasonably expect from this show is one or two good numbers. The rest of the show is just stuff happening just to happen (eg, Kitty is now inexplicably going out with Artie). Every now and then someone actually delivers some good dialog. Just don't watch in expectation of it. This show started going downhill on the backend of season one. The first half of season one (which was the original order and self-contained) is still awesome.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Try as I might, I can't warm to the new McKinley kids, especially Kitty whom I have loathed since her introduction. There are so many "mean girl" characters on this show, some old and some young but all written with the same voice (see my upcoming review of the fourth season box set once it arrives), and it gets boring REALLY fast. Yes, Kitty and Artie was simply nothing I could get interested in. The show has just run out of gas.

I did feel "Yesterday" was an unofficial Cory tribute. Others are correct: the tribute episode is in two weeks.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Hanson said:
All I can reasonably expect from this show is one or two good numbers. The rest of the show is just stuff happening just to happen (eg, Kitty is now inexplicably going out with Artie). Every now and then someone actually delivers some good dialog. Just don't watch in expectation of it. This show started going downhill on the backend of season one. The first half of season one (which was the original order and self-contained) is still awesome.
Generally, the only thing of interest is the New York scenes for me. The rest is just done and overcooked. Last week's assignment ... early Beatles' songs but put a fresh spin on them. What a laugh ... what we got were largely vanilla renditions. Shark you've made your jump.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Missed about the first 15 seconds, assumed it was "In Memory..." and thought it was pretty lame. Glad they're doing a true tribute in episode three.

Overall it wasn't a great episode. Never cared for the Beatles and they were about 15 years before my "discovery" of music and artists I liked or didn't. They never quite made it into my playlist.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dear lord, the series introduced tonight yet another "mean girl," yep, another Cheerio mini-Sue-in-training, and she's to be a recurring character. The show is completely running on fumes (the homage to Carrie completely bereft of imagination).

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Really loved tonight's episode. Felt like classic Glee to me, and you can't go wrong with a Beatles soundtrack. The student nurse looked a lot of Amy Adams, and that is a good thing.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I thought she was attractive, but I couldn't fully commit because she looked so much like Scott Wolf from Party of Five.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Glee tribute episode.

Some good songs.

But OMG was the acting bad. This was the most ham-handed over the top thing I think I've seen on television. It makes me seriously wonder how much these people really cared for the kid, because the emotions seemed SOOO stilted and forced. There were a few decent performances, but a ton of bad ones.. wow

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I actually thought it was the other way around. Most of the dramatic scenes were terrific. In fact, the only scenes that didn't work for me were the Puckerman/Coach scenes (and that was more because of the clunky dialogue).I thought it was a terrific episode, with a lot of well-chosen songs.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I mentioned earlier how it's been since Midway through season one since I watched this show. Cory was a bc boy. he was a local success sorry. He died six blocks from my office in Vancouver. I rooted for the guy. Our city held a very moving tribute for his life after his passing. His family was very grateful. I was curious what the show might do to pay tribute, as I know he was dating one of the actors. Matt hit the nail on the head. The emotion was forced and the acting and dialog were both poor throughout. The songs were horribly auto tuned versions which ruined a couple of favourites of mine, as usual. I'm sure the show has changed a lot since I last watched it (the principal is the janitor? - spoiler alert!) but I will not talk about that here. I know it was made "for the fans", but it felt like they were using his passing as creative content and to generate ratings. I wasn't a fan of it at all. ...until the last scene, which left me bawling for about 15 seconds. Well done!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found it a decent tribute to the character's impact on the other characters, and the music was fine. I found the Chris Colfer-Mike O'Malley-Romy Rosemont scene the best in the hour. Mr. Shue's breakdown at the end, however, seemed very predictable and didn't affect me the way I expected it would.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hanson said:
This really sums things up for me. I just haven't deleted the "record series" notation from my DVR yet. Although my wife and I have discussed it a number of times...

In fact, the writing to last night's Cory tribute was so bad we just spent the show (while doing some computer work) repeating back all the inane, hackneyed lines and were having a pretty good laugh. Monteith's passing is a tragedy. And I bet the cast really had a difficult time in shooting those scenes. But, my word, what a horrible set of transition material to get from musical number to musical number.

It might have been very moving if the writers had taken Finn's jacket and had it passed from friend to friend as they were featured in this week's show (much like when Kurt put it around Santana (who gets more smoking hot in each episode in which she appears).

This show could really be awesome if it wasn't so cartoonish.

If anyone here has missed it, I really urge you to check out Matt Hough's review of the recent release of Glee: Season 4 on disc. He really hits the nail on the head (as usual) in terms of what the show has evolved into.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely loved the first season through Regionals. I thought the remainder of the first season was deeply flawed but winning. Season two I mostly watched for the music. Season three so thoroughly alienated me that I haven't looked back since.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having attended 2 memorial services in September, the subject of death hits me a little harder than usual, and I forgave the clunky writing and found the intent of the scenes to be a fitting send-off for the character, and for the actor, whose absence will leave a void in many of the cast members' lives. I found the singing performances to be heartfelt, and produced some tears from me as well.

And then I found out another person I knew lost her life last night driving home, and as the unfortunate victim of someone passing another vehicle uphill on a 2-lane road and was hit head-on by the person doing the illegal passing (uphill) on the road. She leaves behind a 2-year old son. Life is short, make what you can out of it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Matt Hough said:
I found it a decent tribute to the character's impact on the other characters, and the music was fine. I found the Chris Colfer-Mike O'Malley-Romy Rosemont scene the best in the hour. Mr. Shue's breakdown at the end, however, seemed very predictable and didn't affect me the way I expected it would.
I foundt he O'Malley scenes worked as well, a bit hammy but OK.. but every scene with Puck, the Coach and Sue were bad. I mean, beyond bad. They came across as punchy filler that felt like a afternoon school special.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks