What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You should check out The Bubble, the "pop out" effect or "forward projection" effect (whichever term you like to use) is OUTSTANDING. There are moments in the film where objects seem to be literally "floating" just a few inches from your eyes. Just Amazing. Better than Avatar, IMHO.

Good suggestions. Additionally...

Cease Fire, 3-D Rarities, A Turtle's Tale, and Imax Under The Sea

All those films offer pop-out moments that are truly spectacular and unless proven otherwise, whose intensity cannot be duplicated on a glasses-free display without eyewear.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The number of people who have never bought a 3D TV because, they are waiting for glasses-free 3D TV, is so small these TV's will never make a profit.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Does respect mean that you should dismiss someone's views as "impossible" and give them a "warning" for saying that you are wrong?
I believe the warning was more for your attitude more than the disagreement about the tech. Just a suggestion, but members here disagree all the time, but disagreements are treated with respect for the most part. His opinion is that the technology for pop out is impossible without glasses. Your response smacked more of, "you're wrong, I'm right, end of discussion".

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I personally haven't formed an opinion, but if I was cornered into giving one, I would lean towards it being very difficult to produce the pop out without glasses. The depth, I believe could probably be done. i would certainly be open to seeing for myself.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Okay, but still, people will always be skeptical until they get a chance to see it for themselves. You speak in absolutes, as if people are not allowed to form opinions. Impossibility exists until it doesn't. Give people some leeway here.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Removed by ownership

Bryan, please report post instead of engaging with people who can't follow our rules.

Everyone else: Same. And understand that while I cannot comment on the status of other users, this particular conversation should be good for at least another week without incident.

/whistlesquietlyandwalksonby....

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Bryan, please report post instead of engaging with people who can't follow our rules.

Everyone else: Same. And understand that while I cannot comment on the status of other users, this particular conversation should be good for at least another week without incident.

/whistlesquietlyandwalksonby....
LOL;)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I have actually never seen the extreme pop out talked about here on 3D Blu ray, even in the paddle ball sequence in “House of Wax”, mind you I only have a 65” Sony LCD tv with active glasses. This has not stopped me from collecting 100s of 3D discs.

I have to admit, there hasn't been as much "in your face" pop-outs as I expected with 3D movies, mostly depth. However, besides the train cow catcher scene in The Polar Express, in The Creature from the Black Lagoon, the scene where they discover the fossilized webbed claw of the Creature, it literally pops out of the screen at you. Also, in Kiss Me Kate, there are a few scenes that pop out at you. There may be other movies that have "pop outs" but I don't own them.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I have to admit, there hasn't been as much "in your face" pop-outs as I expected with 3D movies, mostly depth. However, besides the train cow catcher scene in The Polar Express, in The Creature from the Black Lagoon, the scene where they discover the fossilized webbed claw of the Creature, it literally pops out of the screen at you. Also, in Kiss Me Kate, there are a few scenes that pop out at you. There may be other movies that have "pop outs" but I don't own them.
See my previous post. Find The Bubble

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Star Wars: The Force Awakens has a great shot of a star destroyer popping out so far, it looks like the First Order parked it in my living room.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Also the final shot of Rey offering Luke the lightsaber. I could have reached up and taken it myself.

There are some similar shots in The Last Jedi during the various Rey/Ren scenes, when one reaches out, it's as if they're reaching out to you. I thought it was a very effective touch for putting us between their mental connection.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Good suggestions. Additionally...

Cease Fire, 3-D Rarities, A Turtle's Tale, and Imax Under The Sea

All those films offer pop-out moments that are truly spectacular and unless proven otherwise, whose intensity cannot be duplicated on a glasses-free display without eyewear.

Also, Thunder and the House of Magic (which I just watched again last night... Incredible depth and pop-out moments!) and any of the Final Destination 3D films (if you aren't squeamish).

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I have only seen one autostereoscopic television, and that was ten or more years ago. It was not from Dolby or Ultra-D.

I am not in any position to question the know-how of top engineers at these or other companies.

But I do know that the Soviets had an autostereoscopic projection system as early as the 1940s. Their stereo feature Robinzon Kruzo (1947) was meant to be shown this way. I grant you that their technique was nowhere near as sophisticated as the systems of today, but I can tell you for sure, having seen the film myself, that Robinzon Kruzo makes delightful use of negative parallax throughout. No less a personage than Sergei Eisenstein remarks upon this, in his essay "On Stereocinema" (1946):

"Either the image remains within the boundaries of the ordinary cinema as a kind of flat haut-relief, poised somewhere within the plane of the reflecting screen.

Or the image plunges deep inside the screen, drawing the spectator along into unprecedented depths.

Or, lastly (and this is the most astonishing effect)—the image, palpably three-dimensional, 'tumbles out' of the screen into the auditorium." *​

Arguing from lesser to greater, then, if the Soviets, with their innovative yet primitive scheme, were able to achieve off-the-screen effects that impressed Eisenstein and others, is there serious reason to doubt that something similar could be achieved by the engineers of today?

To come at it another way, the only reason I can conceive to foreclose on the possibility of negative parallax in a modern-day autostereoscopic system is that the designers simply do not wish to cope with twice as much parallax in a stereo effigy (i.e., the full sum of positive parallax + the full sum of negative parallax = ~twice as much parallax as positive alone). There is no inherent reason why negative parallax per se cannot be experienced in an autostereoscopic system.

As for whether or not a protruding image could "touch you on the nose," that will be owing to factors like screen size, proximity to the screen, and the amount of negative parallax in the image.

* Translation by Sergey Levchin

Last edited:

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Immersion is the key word...nose to screen!!! :)

You've got that right Sparky!!
We sit 12 feet exactly from our screen which is 144X60. Using Dolby 3D glasses the screen is "almost" too wide (@2:35) but we love it. I find myself moving my head a little left and right to follow some of the action.

ScottPlant

Auditioning
Assuming Ultra-D works as well as some here have described, one negative about it, unless I'm mistaken, is that it sounds like it would not be applicable to projector technology. It works only with direct-view displays, so immersion, like those of us with large wide screens are so fond of, might not be practical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks