Glass shelves on audio rack

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charbel, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Charbel

Charbel Agent

Anybody here have audio racks with glass shelves that are putting MORE WEIGHT on them than they should? Have you had any problems? I`ve got a Bello... w/glass shelves that says it holds 50 pounds. I`m not sure what my receiver weighs but I`m getting an amp I think like 85 to 90 pounds what do you think? Anyone have this setup that`s still uncracked?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Hopefully the glass is tempered, which it usually is for furniture, so the likelihood of it breaking from weight alone is slim.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on July 27, 2001 at 03:12 PM]

3. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

They are in fact tempered. I have a Bello and the bottom 2 shelves were cracked from the store I got it at and I needed to re-order them and found that they are indeed tempered.

4. Charbel

Charbel Agent

Does "tempered" mean they will not shatter? or does it mean I can put an 85pound amp on the glass and not worry? lol I`m sure I`ll worry either way. Anybody have something that heavy on glass. Specs say holds 50 pounds, so... maybe I`ll just put it on the floor. Since the amp was going on the first shelf anyway. anybody?

5. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Tempered glass is glass that has been heat-treated. This process causes the glass to shatter into very small pieces instead of large, sharp ones if it is broken.
    I also have a Bello rack. If you are talking about the same sort of 1/4 inch tempered glass shelves that I have, I would not recommend exceeding the maximum weight rating by as much as you are talking about. 10 or 15 pounds more, maybe.

6. Charbel

Charbel Agent

OK that`s what I wanted to hear. (or NOT hear) So I will DEFINATELY put it on the floor. HHMMM, now MY onkyo 787 receiver... Is that too heavy? I`ll check thier website for those specs. Thank you everyone! great place to get info and discuss anything AV related. gotta love it!
    PS of course it`s the MEMBERS that make the forum as well as the forum itself.

7. Mr. Brian

Mr. Brian Stunt Coordinator

I have a Bello rack with glass shelves, and I hold my Denon 5800 on it with no problem at all. It weighs over 60 pounds too. Just to be safe though, I keep it on the lowest shelf.
    Hope this helps,
    Brian
    ------------------

8. Charbel

Charbel Agent

Thanks Brian, I just checked my Onkyo weight and it`s only 36 pounds.So the 50 pound glass limit is safe as for my receiver. Since you`re familiar with the rack , I`ll explain- I will just take out the first glass shelf on the bottom of the rack and put the new amp on the floor, it will look like its on the shelf.