Glass shelf advice wanted.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm getting separates.
    The amplifier weighs 70 lbs.
    According to the Bell'O website, the maximum recommended weight for the tempered glass shelves on my AR-711 stand is 50lbs.[​IMG]
    My current Onkyo 919 receiver weighs over 50lbs and I've had it on a shelf for a couple years, with other components sometimes. I've probably put 55-60lbs on that shelf. [​IMG][​IMG]
    So here's my idea. If you see the AR-711 either on my website or on Bell'O's site, you can see that there are four identically sized tempered glass shelves built in and one large tempered glass "topper" shelf. I'm thinking of going to a local glass shop with the top shelf in hand and asking them to make me a piece of either tempered glass or plexiglass (whichever's cheaper) that will hold 70+lbs. I will then put the amplifier on the top of the system.
    Sound like a good idea? Any hints for dealing with glass shops?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Come to think of it the combined weight of my CLD-99 and Technics DVD-A10 probably exceeds the recommended weight as well!!! [​IMG]

3. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Glass prices vary widely from shop to shop. Do some comparison shopping.

Thicker glass can hold more weight. If it would fit I would try for 3/8" or 1/2" like one would use for a display case.

4. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

hello,

kinda hard to tell from the pic, the thickness of the top shelf, but looks like 1/4"? upgrading to 3/8" glass should be ok. i can tell you that the floor of a 75 gallon aquarium is 48"x18"x3/8" and supports some 75lbs of live rock and about 500lbs of water.

i would go with lexan instead of plexiglas or glass. its more break resistant and is nice and clear. plexi otoh will give a green tint on the edge. lexan would cost more though. one advantage about plexi/lexan is it will bend before it breaks so you can see if its too much load before you have a shattered glass disaster.

another thing to think about is the whole look of the rack itself. ask if the glass shop can give you the rounded finished edge. its no problem with sandpaper on plastic.

5. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

Go with 3/8" tempered glass (or 1/2" to be really safe). Plexi or Lexan will bow over time unless the edges are reinforced (which is why acrylic aquariums have a top plate).

Also, make sure that the glass shop polishes the edges.

6. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure the manufacture of the rack is got a CYA factor figured into there specs.
    I have a friend in the glass industry, I asked him if I could put a 100lbs on a 4' wide piece of 1/4" plate glass and he said it was fine.
    Perhaps the problem with the rack are the supports holding the glass in place (I can't see them very well from the pictures)? In which case thicker glass ain't going to help.
    Brian G.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Brian,

I suspect that you're very close to the truth. My initial plan when I call the glass shops is to ask if a 1/4" thick piece of tempered glass can hold up 70 lbs. As for the mounts, there are small rubber 1"x1" rubber bumpers on the top of each column holding the top shelf. The middle shelves are held up by slots built into the metal columns.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I set it up yesterday. Here's my solution: I removed the bottom shelf and set the amp directly on the metal frame beneath. The feet of the amp fit perfectly on the metal frame. Didn't cost a cent, but I did have to halfway dissassemble the damn rack. [​IMG]
    I called a glass shop and they said that a 1/4" tempered glass shelf should not hold 70lbs. However, I still have my DVD and LD player on one shelf. :b

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    If it is not a necessity to have glass, you can go to places like Luck Stone (www.luckstone.com) and they can cut a piece of granite or marble that will hold weight or as an alternative get an amp stand for the amp and mount if separately.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Phil, Interesting idea, a marble or granite topper for the AR-711 would look sweet.
    BTW, you'll get to see my system again soon. [​IMG] I'm working on another DC area meet.