Glass and hinges

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianF, Dec 15, 2002.

1. BrianF

BrianF Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for glass and hinges like what is used on entertainment centers. I want to use some for glass doors when I build a new entertainment center and equipment rack. Does anyone know where I can find these items?

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Do a search on "glass hinges" and you should get a couple hundred hits. It seems like the last ones I used were from Outwater Plastics, but I didn't see them in their on line catalog. I noticed that Rockler has them in chrome, brass, and black. Come to think of it, I believe Home Depot carries these now... or was it Ace?
    One word of caution, these type of hinges work well on tall narrow panels, like doors for an equipment rack. They don't do well the other way, i.e. 24" wide by 18" tall. I did some custom frameless glass doors in kitchen cabinets and had to use special hinges that require holes machined into the glass.

3. Troy_j

Troy_j Agent

Just for debate....why not check with a local reputable glass company and see if they have hinges for non-hole applications, and if they can cut the glass, drill the holes and provide or install the hinges. Just a suggestion. BTW O love glass fronts, even mirrored would be cool... ( you got it right-no kids)

4. BrianF

BrianF Stunt Coordinator

Thanks.

Those hinges at Rockler are exactly what I wanted. I also have a Home Depot and Ace near me so I can check those places out also.

I'll have to see if there are any local glass companies that can set everything up for me. That would be nice.

Thanks again.