Glare questions with RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tom Rags, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Hello all! I have yet to make the plunge into HDTV, and I would really like to get away with spending as little as possible ($1200 or less). Size is not a huge issue for me, and there are a few inexpensive 30" widescreen sets that are quite affordable. However, I often see very good deals on HD RPTVs in the 47" range, and I am wondering if I will be able to get away with it or not. My couch is positioned directly in front of my main living room window, and the TV is adjacent (so that the window is facing the TV). Some light bleeds through my closed blinds. Is it possible to do a RPTV, or will my glare just be too great for it to be a good picture?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm somewhat of a newbie to a good television as I have spent most of my time and efforts into sound.

2. John S

John S Producer

Glare is mostly caused by the Protective screen covers most manufactures include now with their sets.

Once taken out, it eliminates the problem entirely as far as my experiences have went.

Many people take them out, for this very reason.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    When I had my 46" Mits the protective screen came off and made a huge improvement with regards to glare. What I found strange, it was not clear, it had a slight purple tint to it...odd indeed. PQ improves when that thing is removed.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. Tom Rags

Ron-P...good to see you man. I haven't been hanging around HTF as much as I used to, and it's good to see a familiar face. I've always said that your signature will make me an alcoholic yet: I never hesitate wanting to crack one open when I see your sig [​IMG] If you remember, I even started a thread about it a few years ago [​IMG]

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    [​IMG] I do remember...You been busy or what? Last time I saw a post from you it was in my "The Passion" movie thread I started quite awhile back.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Protective Screen?
    Does Sony KPWS510 come with that too? Is the screen something like a protective flim that comes on cellphone display screen? Is that something that can be removed? Or are you guys refering to a screen like the Sony 600 series where an extra glass that hangs outside the monitor and gives a look like a lcd ;-)

7. John S

John S Producer

Extra glass but when included it really doesn't set on the outside of the set, just in between the Lenticular and the outside.

8. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

So how do I know whether my WS510 Sony has it or not? Does manual say that anywhere? Is it good/easy to remove by myself or do I need an expert for that?
    Would I lose my warranty if I remove it( Igot the extended warranty from BB) [​IMG]

9. John S

John S Producer

Do you have the set?? It is obvious if it has one.

10. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Yes I have been watching it for the last three weeks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03005

This is the link from BB website for the TV.

In the specs in the website it says,
    57" 16:9 widescreen BrightView high-contrast, fine-pitch protective screen. Is this what you guys are refering to, that can be removed?

11. John S

John S Producer

Yep. The fine pitch protective screen....

You generally just have to get the top of the set off, and it pulls right out.

12. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

is it Good to do that? Will the PQ improve or does it just look good without the protective screen? I guess it would be as easy to put it back if I need to and finally does it void my warranty! uff! too many questions John [​IMG]

13. Matt_JP

Matt_JP Auditioning

I just took the screen off on my WS550 (similar to 510) to clean the fresnel lens but I left the protective screen on because A)I have small children and B) I find glare to not be a major issue, even with the TV in a room with several windows. The TV is perfectly watchable with a lot of light coming in and I can always close the blinds and turn off the lights if I want to elimintae glare completely.

The take the screen off, the steps are:
    1. Open the back panel
    2. Locate the flash focus wiring harness, which comes from the screen and runs into the lower compartment of the TV. Unplug the wiring harness and remove it from any ties that are holding it down in the cabinet - it's going to come off with the screen.
    3. Remove the screws on either side that hold the speaker grill/control panel on. There were six on mine, three on each side.
    4. Give the lower edge of the speaker grill a good tug to pop it out of the fasteners that are holding it in and carefully lift it up and away from the TV.
    5. Disconnect the wires that attach the front panel eletronics to the TV.
    6. Set the front panel aside.
    7. Remove all of the screws that hold the screen on. There were about a dozen on the back of mine, and 8-10 more on the bottom front. Have a helper hold on to the bezel as you remove the last few screws to keep the screen from falling out.
    8. Carefully, with a helper, pull the bezel/screen away from the TV and lay it front-side-down on a soft surface. I used the inside of a sleeping bag.
    9. The screen stack is held to the bezel by several brackets and even more screws. Remove all of the screws, except those holding the flash focus sensors on. Be careful not to scratch the screen with your screwdriver or dropped screws.
    10. Carefully remove the metal bracket pieces. You may have to unclip some of the flash focus wires to get enough slack, but you shouldn't need to remove the wires or sensors.
    11. Remove the screen stack, again with a helper, and set it down on another piece of sleeping bag.
    12. Remove the black tape holding the three screen elements together. Save the tape.

At this point you can remove the glare screen completely or place it at the back of the stack. Which you do is up to you. If you remove it completely, you may need to add something under the brackets to make up for the difference in screen thickness. My brackets were not very tight against the screen, so I don't think the screen would be supported very well with the glare screen removed without adding a shim of some sort.
    Reverse the steps to put it back together.

PLEASE NOTE: This is how I took my screen apart. Mine may not be constructed exactly the same as yours. Don't do this if you aren't confident of your abilities and willing to accept the consequences of your attempt to modify the TV. I only did this because my child had managed to get cleaning fluid inside the screen and this was the only way for me to get to it to clean it up. I consider myself very handy and I don't hesitate to rip apart just about anything in the house or driveway, but this job scared me to death. If you damage your screen, it may cost several hundred dollars to replace. You have been warned. [​IMG]

14. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

ha ha!! Man I went totally silent after reading your post. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

The Syracuse contingent is back! How are you Tom? Monday night 2/2!

I have a similar set up to yours in that my couch faces two large windows on either side of my Mits 55" RPTV. During the day, I have massive amounts of ambient light coming through the windows. The situation is worsened by the reflections off of the 40x60 glass framed picture behind the couch.

Recently Gregg Loewen calibrated my set and convinced me to get rid of the protective "anti"-glare screen. Even with a 3 year-old I gave in. Not only is the color improved due to the fact that the protective screen is actually tinted, but the reflections caused by the light are gone. So happy not seeing my ugly mug in the screen any longer.

[​IMG]

Go Huskies!

Ralph

16. Tom Rags

Ralphie "No one at UConn qualifies to graduate" Summa! How ya been man? I am so excited for the Big Monday matchup. Do you know if the game will be simulcast on ESPN HD?

I ended up opting against the RPTV (I would have gotten a small 42") since I realized that I was kidding myself and that my living room was barely big enough for the crappy 27" I had anyway [​IMG] I ended up purchasing a Zenith highdef C27V36 (27 inch, $600 on sale) and have been very happy with the purchase. This TV has a stellar picture and is loaded for a set its size and cost (DVI input, 2 component inputs, Faroudja DCDi line doubler, etc).

If only the cable company were not on HD box backorders! I am hoping to be hooked up in HD by the Big Monday game on 2/2.

17. Ralph Summa

Oh Tom, you're killing me! Not only do you Orange-People steal all our in-state football players, but you have to send them back to CT without an education! You'll like this quote!

"Half of the 2003 tournament's "Sweet Sixteen" field has a graduation rate of 38 percent or less; while the eventual champion Syracuse University holds the lowest commencement rate of any of the Final Four teams: A subpar 25 percent."

:b

No HD for us. The Indiana-Illinois game on Tuesday 2/3 is getting the truck. Can you beleive it? Pre-Season # 1 vs the 2003 NCAA champ and they pick Indiana-Illinois? Poor choice!

18. Tom Rags

Ralph, NCAA graduation rate is an off-topic discussion for another day, but the numbers that they use are completely phony and fictitous. If a player transfers or goes pro early (to make millions of dollars), they count against the graduation rate. SU's lone senior last year, Kueth Duany, graduated. The statistic is extremely misleading.

Anyhow, sorry for the off-topic rant! Now back to your regularly scheduled thread regarding RPTV glare!

19. Ralph Summa

I know it's a farce. Calhoun is the biggest opponent of the formula used. Also if you have a player that transfers TO your school and graduates, it does not count in your favor.

And as you said, Now back to the thread: Looks like no regular season Syracuse games are scheduled to be shown in HD, although the Big East Championship will be! Here's theHD schedule.

Good luck on Monday night! I'm still trying to weasle myself into a ticket!