What's new

Glare on Tosh xxH81 (1 Viewer)

DanKasun

Auditioning
Hi all-
Wanted to get some feedback on the supposed glare on the Toshiba XXH81 (specifically the 57h81).
I'm really impressed with it right now, but can't test it out in my room where there is a large sliding glass window which might be a bad reflection source. I don't want to but it and then find out that this is going to be a problem... and I also don't want to wait and pay more for the xxHX81 if it doesn't make any significant difference.
So anyway, if you have one of these, can you please let me know how bad/not bad the glare really is. Here's a scale to help:
How would you rate it:
- glare on screen is hardly an issue in most cases
- glare on screen can be a problem in some lighting conditions, but is not a big deal
- glare causes pretty bad problems when there's a lot of ambient light or reflecting light sources, but is fine in low levels
- glare is a big problem, I have (or will) be removing the screen
Feel free to write in your own comments, of course.
Thanks - really appreciate any help.
-Dan

J

John Morris

If glare is at all an issue, I'd just wait a few weeks to look at the 57HX81 sets. They are supposed to only cost around $350 more than the 57H81 sets.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

DanKasun

Auditioning
That's what I'm trying to figure out... IS the glare truly an issue, or is it just something that annoys only absolute purist home theater technophiles.
Just viewing these in showrooms doesn't give me enough time/space to judge myself... hoping that someone who owns one can set me straight.
Thanks!
-Dan

DaveD

Auditioning
Glare IMO is livable. Right now my fiance her friend and baby son are watchint toy story 2 in a brightly day lit family room. Direct on it is only noticable if you look for it. Off axis is pretty bad but as I said all the blinds are open and the sun is shining. We watched Castaway on dvd last night in the dark and this is the best feeling of an actual home theater that I haver ever seen. We sit eyball to screen right at 10.5 feet and with the darness and enveloping sound field we were blown away. I just wish dish would look better. Oops off subject IMO glare not a big deal we had glare on our 27" mits this is just a bigger screen.

Stefan A

Second Unit
There is no question that you will see glare. Especially when the screen is black and/or the TV is off. If you do not have total control of the light, you will get glare. The good news is that the glare can be greatly reduced by taking the front part of the screen off and moving it to the back. There are posts detailing this operation at HT spot. So far, the glare during movies has not made me want to go through the trouble. But, when I listen to music and the TV is off, I can see myself in the screen clearly if lights are on. This is very disconcerting when my shirt is off :) - and could be the one thing that will inspire me to do it. Or maybe just loose weight!!
Stefan Antwarg

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
One of the best things I ever did to my Tosh set was buy some weather striping (used as a spacer) and removed the reflective, I mean protective, screen.
I would do that to any RPTV, if given the option.
[Edited last by Bill Slack on August 20, 2001 at 09:34 PM]

W

Will

But, when I listen to music and the TV is off, I can see myself in the screen clearly if lights are on. This is very disconcerting

But on the other hand, some people enjoy having mirrors
and will actually install them in their living room, dining
room, etc.
Many RPTVs when turned off do look like big mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks