Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin

Gladiator UHD Review
gladiator_feat-1024x576.jpg

The third disc format may be the charm for Ridley Scott’s Gladiator, finally looking and sounding better than ever with minimal digital manipulation on 4K UHD Blu-ray.

[review]

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the Blu-ray included with this set was the later remastered edition, not the first one that was an edge-enhanced mess?

Vincent

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I thought that the Blu-ray included with this set was the later remastered edition, not the first one that was an edge-enhanced mess?

Vincent
First and foremost, this is a review of the 4K UHD Blu-ray. Secondly, the "corrected" Blu-ray included in this set still has issues and looks more like video than film.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Really? I thought you were boycotting Mel Gibson movies.

I'm against hiring for NEW Mel movies. You can't bury the past. You can prevent him from profiting in the future.

Same thing with SOTS and other movies where cultures and tradition change. Understand they were products of their time. Don't make the same mistakes again today tho.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
First and foremost, this is a review of the 4K UHD Blu-ray. Secondly, the "corrected" Blu-ray included in this set still has issues and looks more like video than film.

Well, excuse me. I don't think my post was out of order or deserving of this snarky response. The original Blu-ray was known for heavy edge-enhancement and looking extremely digital, whereas the re-release didn't suffer from those issues. Your review indicated that the Blu-ray included in this set is the original Blu-ray and not the reissued version.

Vincent

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Redeemed my Digital Copy just now at ParamountMovies.com:

Vudu: UHD with HDR10 and DD+ 5.1 audio
FandangoNow: UHD with HDR10 and DD+ 5.1 audio

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well, excuse me. I don't think my post was out of order or deserving of this snarky response. The original Blu-ray was known for heavy edge-enhancement and looking extremely digital, whereas the re-release didn't suffer from those issues. Your review indicated that the Blu-ray included in this set is the original Blu-ray and not the reissued version.

Vincent
Sorry if that came off snarky. I meant to add a second quoted post to my response.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm against hiring for NEW Mel movies. You can't bury the past. You can prevent him from profiting in the future.

Same thing with SOTS and other movies where cultures and tradition change. Understand they were products of their time. Don't make the same mistakes again today tho.

You misspelled "HOTS"! :D

PP46HA4.jpg

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent

I appreciate your sentiment Sam, but don't quite follow the logic. What of the dirty old men of cinema, all of whose – or nearly all – work is in the past? Should Bill Cosby, Woody Allen, Dustin Hoffman, et al, be let off the hook? Regardless, when you buy a Mel Gibson movie, whether old or new, he still reaps the profits from it.

Note that I'm not passing judgement on which individuals anyone should choose to boycott or not; you just had me puzzled, that's all.

PS: what's SOTS? For that matter, what's HOTS?!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Note that I'm not passing judgement on which individuals anyone should choose to boycott or not; you just had me puzzled, that's all.

I can't do anything about the sunk costs of those creations, and have formed impressions good and bad of them already. I can separate the art from the accused. Those creations are collaborations of hundreds or thousands of people, who should not be penalized because of the bad actions of a person they likely had no reason to suspect at the time of creation.

But I am wholly opposed to wiping Mel's, Bill's and Harvey's slate clean and encouraging collaboration with them on future projects.

It may not be what others would choose, but that is my code currently at least!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Got this UHD today and am really impressed. The enhanced UHD color-space and HDR make a *HUGE* difference with GLADIATOR beyond the increased resolution. I don't know if I've seen another "vintage" film-based production that has had this much of an improvement in those areas compared to this.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks