Gladiator packaging

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Oct 22, 2001.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I have seen some reference here to how Gladiator, a 2-disc set, comes in a slim case (single-disc-sized case) with a flap inside to hold the second disc. Presumably, this is something like the case from the SW TPM DVD.
    But my Gladiator comes in a regular single-disc case with Disc 1 being held by the case, and Disc 2 is inside a black paper sleeve with a clear plastic round window. The sleeve lays inside the case free, unattached to anything.
    If memory serves, I bought Gladiator within a few days of its release. What is the reason for the style of packaging that I have, and how common is it?
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join the JJR512.com [email protected] Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

2. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Do you mean a cd jewel case? Where did you get this?

3. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

No, not a jewel case, just a paper sleeve. CD-ROMs sometimes come in these types of sleeves inside the box package. It's just a paper envelope. Usually they are white, but this one is black. There are four major variations of the paper sleeve disc holder: with flap/no window, with flap/with window, without flap/no window, and without flap/with window. This version is the with flap/with window variety. The window is a circular hole cut in one side of the sleeve, covered on the inside by a clear plastic sheet, so that you can see the label of the disc.
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join the JJR512.com [email protected] Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Here's what I think:
    Either this is a bootleg, or someone opened the shrinkwrap and swapped the case. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
    MY TOP 20 OF 2001

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I bought it from Electronics Boutique. It would seem unlikely that it's a bootleg.
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    is it the "signature edition"? mine is and has the plastic "flap" attached to the case.
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

7. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

It says "Signature Selection" near the top of the front, just under the DD and DTS blurbs. The UPC is 67068-72042.
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]

8. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I seem to remember reading a few posts about this back when "Gladiator" was first release. If memory serves, DreamWorks wasn't able to get enough double-disc cases to fulfill demand on the first pressing, so some had the second disc in an envelope.

9. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

JustinR,
    Good to hear from another Owings Mills resident on HTF! Are you living anywhere near New Town?
    Back on topic: My copy is the Signature Edition with the plastic flap attached to the case.
    If your case bothers you, you could try exchanging it at EB??? Maybe they'll accept the argument that you received a substandard case and will resolve your problem for you. Just a thought...
    ------------------
    Scott

10. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Hello, Scott-C! I live in older Owings Mills, off Reisterstown Rd. Morningside Heights is the neighborhood...not anywhere near as nice as New Town, my fiance and I are just getting started in life away from home. [​IMG]
    The case doesn't really bother me; I was just curious to know what the deal was.
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]

11. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Ken Seeber is correct. When Dreamworks was pressing this disc there was so much demand for it that they could not get enough of those cases and had to start putting the 2nd disc in a plastic sleeve.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Non related, but the Final Fantasy case is also a slim dual DVD case like Gladiator except the first disk ends up on the left of the case and the second disk ends up on the right side. In other versions, the first disk ends up on top of the second disk and both disks get released when you press on disk one.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

13. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

JustinR,
    That's not too far away from my house, on the other side of new Town (Lyons Gate). When I moved to Baltimore in 1997, I looked at Morningside Heights - that's a nice area and very convenient! You're very close to the (relatively) new Tweeter - quick access to HT toys!
    It's interesting how many different types of packaging there are. I almost wouldn't mind if they'd pick a few and make them standards (as long as the snapper died a quick death). The Gladiator packaging is pretty nice, except I'm always concerned about damaging disc 1 when I remove it from the flap (the center circle you press can be pretty tight sometimes; also, there's not a lot of room to grab the disc along the edge without getting fingerprints on it - yes, I'm anal-retentive that way!).
    ------------------
    Scott

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I know what you mean about damaging disk one. Forgot to mention that this other case I saw (Final Fantasy) has the same push button on disk one and two.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

15. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I remember when Gladiator came out, there was such a huge demand that they couldn't keep up with double amaray cases so some came with the sleeve.
    Its not bootleg so you have nothing to worry about, its just unfortunately though that you got the one with the sleeve.

16. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Scott-C, yep, the Tweeter is right up the street. When you said new, did you mean new under the Tweeter name? It used to be Bryn Mawr, but was that pretty new, too? We've only been living here since the end of March. (On a side note, we moved in one week after another resident was killed in her apartment during a break-in/attack by a former boyfriend.)
    All the Gladiator packages I've seen are the same thickness as a standard single-disc case. Now is the flap inside the case exactly the same as the flap inside the SW:TPM case, or is it different somehow?
    Is it possible to get an empty case of the style that Gladiator is supposed to be?
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]

17. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

JustinR,
    The Bryn Mawr itself is pretty new (relatively speaking) in that I believe it only opened about 1.5 years ago (seems new to me). And, I believe it just completed its name change (to Tweeter) earlier this year. That entire shopping complex was renovated just prior to the Tweeter opening. I visit Tweeter to look but rarely to buy because I find their prices to be ridiculously high (but that's a topic for another thread).
    Stay safe in your apt. complex! I'm not sure how familiar you are with the area, but feel free to email me if you need any suggestions on places to eat, things to do, etc.
    I'm not sure if it's possible to purchase a Gladiator-style case but it might be (I've never looked into it). I know there are some members of HTF who replace their snapper cases and may know if you could buy one somewhere.
    ------------------
    Scott

18. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

JustinR,
    Check out this thread - it points out a place to buy slimline double disc cases. This might be helpful to you.
    ------------------
    Scott