What's new

Gladiator on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Basically, for anything that's repeated or redundant between the 2000 Signature Series and the 2005 Extended Edition, we just went with the better presentation. Case in point, there's no need to bring back the poorly laid-out storyboard galleries from the 2000 release when we have the far superior and complete storyboard galleries from the 2005 release.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Outstanding. It's hard to believe that I've held off on buying the EE since high def media hit the market in 2006, knowing that someday Maximus would reach one of the formats. I've already now listed my SS for sale--it's so wonderful to know that I can hopefully look forward to delving into hours worth of supplemental material on the BD without missing anything from and thereby needing to hang onto or Netflix the DVD(s). :emoji_thumbsup:

If you have any sway in these regards, it sure would be wonderful if Fox behaved similarly on other Ridley titles they own rights to (Thelma and Louise; Alien). Here's also hoping this sets a precedent for Par to abide on other BDs of terrific DW DVDs such as Almost Famous.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
One of my personal favourite features from the original 2-disc set was the easter egg with the Chicken Run trailer parodying Gladiator.
I'd love to see that included.

CTgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dara
I guess a girl misses a lot when she is not around here for a long time. :eek:

Thanks for the information, everyone. You guys are always a wonderful resource around here.

Hi Charlie, I hope all is well with you. Thanks so much for giving us some information on the Blu-Ray disc. As one who owns a DVD and VHS copy of the original film (which I love) and a DVD of the Extended Edition (which is great and I thought was very well put together), I can't wait to see what the Blu Ray version has on it. It sounds like it will be awesome.

I am glad you are involved with the DVD, again. I wasn't so sure when I started this thread if you were or not. I don't think anyone could have done as good a job as you have in producing the DVD of this film. "Gladiator" deserves the ultimate treatment it is getting and it's nice to see that you are the one doing it.

How is everything going? Have you been in England with Ridley working on his Robin Hood film? If you have, I hope that is going well.

Warmest Regards,

Dara

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Hi Dara,

First, my apologies for not responding to your earlier posts. I read them and wanted to respond but had to bite my tongue (or typing fingers) mostly due to contractual confidentiality, which is something I take seriously even if others don't.

And yes, I've been to England for "Robin Hood," though not nearly as much as I would like. I currently have a brutal but very exciting slate of work between now and late 2010 that's been keeping me Stateside, for the most part. But what I've seen in Sherwood Forest has been very impressive. I think you'll be pleased.

Nice running into you again!

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I'm executive producing the content on "Pelham." But I've got about nine or so other titles to get through between now and the end of 2010, so that's the least of my very fortunate worries.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Charlie, what does this mean for those who own both the Signature Selection and Extended Edition DVD's?

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Well, unless you're an extreme completist, you can probably sell them both off immediately. I would unscientifically estimate that over 99% of all previously-released material from both the Signature Selection and Extended Edition is being carried over to the new Sapphire set, with nearly five hours of new content that wasn't included in either of those earlier editions.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Another question. Since the BRADE RUNNAH (You know what this is.) HDDVD had a booklet, will the GLADIATOR Blu-ray have one? Since both Signature Selection and Extended Edition releases contain them. I'm also guessing both deescs will be BD-50's.:crazy:

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Charlie:

Jus' wanna be sure of another fave's inclusion: Might we be getting a new image montage set to score? Love those. Or at least inclusion of "The Treasure Chest" from the Signature Selection?

-p
Edited by Paul.S - 8/16/2009 at 06:40 am GMT

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Ray: Not sure about the booklet situation. Haven't seen the packaging yet.

Paul: Have no fear, The Treasure Chest is back.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Charles de Lauzirika

I'm executive producing the content on "Pelham." But I've got about nine or so other titles to get through between now and the end of 2010, so that's the least of my very fortunate worries.
Well I for one am very glad your busy.
Did you work on Spy Game ?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Charles de Lauzirika

Ray: Not sure about the booklet situation. Haven't seen the packaging yet.

Paul: Have no fear, The Treasure Chest is back.
It's okay Charlie, I'm still going to keep both the Signature Selection and Extended Editions anyway. I do have multiple releases for certain films in my collection. i.e. Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des Loups) being in order of purchase are the 3-Disc Canadian Collector's Edition, UK HDDVD and the 2-Disc US Director's Cut. The aforementioned I'll purchase again on Blu-ray and still keep all previous editions. I also have multpile releases of LEON, The Frighteners, ALIEN, Kingdom of Heaven (No idea why I haven't gotten around to watching either cut...), Police Story Trilogy and I guess that's it.
I take it the packaging will just be a 2-disc Blu-ray case with either disc on the insides? Why not have them use a page and also have a thick booklet? The booklet was great for the BRADE RUNNAH HDDVD (which I own/bought except I received the briefcase DVD set for XMAS a couple years ago). Speaking of BRADE RUNNAH, will there ever be a special offer for a sixth disc? Pertaining the concept artwork and more. I was only slightly let down the mutli-disc set never touched upon the 1997 Westwood PC game, OF WHICH I'm still attempting to gain all endings since having purchased in 2000.
You're one of my most favourite DVD producers and all of the supplemental materials you've produced thus far of which I've watched are damn well made. Here's hoping I'll meet you sometime and yeah I also wish I were a DVD producer too.

CTgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dara
Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the response, so quickly. This time, I am the one who took longer to get back here to see your response. Thank you for the update on what you have been doing. Even from the little I have read about Robin Hood, it sounds like it is going to be a must see. I have seen some pictures which look fantastic. I think this will be one to put on my movie viewing list when it is released.

I am glad you bit your tongue and kept your contractual confidentality. That says a lot about your integrity. I am glad you shared what you were able to, with all of us. It's great to see how busy and in demand you are. I wish you continued success with everything.

A question or two....Included in the 5 addition hours of content will there be any more deleted scenes besides the ones in the Treasure Chest or the scenes that were in the Extended Edition?

Does Lauzirika Motion Picture Company have a website, somewhere? I know I looked for a site long time ago (I remember you mentioning when you were going to start your own company several years back) and I found one that said "coming soon" and it still says that, even now. I hope you would consider creating a website to showcase your work.

Thank you again for the response. It was nice running into you, too. It's always great to reconnect with old friends (well young, old friends) from other forums. I don't like to lose those connections and you were one who was always kind and willing to answer all of our questions. You were a great part of the former Gladiator board that we had! I appreciate you for that.

Warmest Regards Again,

Dara

Edited by CTgirl - 7/12/2009 at 12:51 am GMT
Edited by CTgirl - 7/12/2009 at 12:54 am GMT
Edited by CTgirl - 7/12/2009 at 12:56 am GMT
Edited by CTgirl - 7/12/2009 at 12:59 am GMT
Edited by CTgirl - 7/12/2009 at 01:00 am GMT
Edited by CTgirl - 7/12/2009 at 01:17 am GMT

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Hi Dara,

We pretty much milked the Deleted Scenes Cow bone dry last time. So no, don't expect anything in the way of new deleted scenes. Just lots of new historical and production perspectives.

As for my company website, every couple of years, my crew and I make a feeble attempt to get something going, but we're so busy with work that we can never follow through. Even if we hire an outside designer, we still need to feed that person content for the site, and given our production slate, getting a website up and running always gets bumped to the bottom of the priority list. But I know, it's something I have to get done at some point, sooner rather than later.

CTgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dara
Hi Charlie,

Thanks so much for the reply. I figured there probably were no more deleted scenes, but I just thought I would ask. The scenes that were added to the EE are fabulous. They make an already great film that much better. I can't wait to see the film again on Blu-Ray.

I sure hope you will do a website, when you can. But, I realize you have a lot of time restraints working against you...priorities, priorities.

A few more questions I forgot to ask:

I read that you are going to be directing a film soon. Is this correct? Can you tell us what it is about? I know your main focus is DVD production (which is a huge task in itself...but we as consumers love and appreciate the work that you do!), but, would you like to make feature films in the future (if I missed something and you have not already)?

Thanks again, Charlie. Sorry for all the questions. I guess inquiring minds want to know.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I've been threatening to direct my first feature for several years now. But if all continues to go well, we start shooting in early or mid-September. It's based on a screenplay I purchased last year and then rewrote myself. I don't really want to discuss it too much before we start shooting, and of course by then, I'll be so immersed in actually making it that I won't have time to talk about it until it's done.

To be honest, all I've ever wanted to do was make my own feature films. I accidentally fell into this DVD producing gig and it just happened to pay the bills the last ten years. It's been a very rewarding and educational diversion, no doubt, but it's not really the career I wanted to end up with. Fortunately, I already have some pretty big DVD projects lined up once I finish shooting, so at least I'll have the old job to fall back on for a while.
Edited by Charles de Lauzirika - 7/13/2009 at 06:33 am GMT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks