What's new

Gladiator: Extended Edition (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh yeah, well Titanic sucked! ....oh...sorry, it just seemed to be going there...uh...my apologies. ;)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
True Kevin, so much that there will never be any chance of a sequel. :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:D

...and...and..the ending of A.I. was perfect...and...and..Kubrick truly wanted his films to be only shown in open matte...and..and...the Matrix sequels were every bit as good if not better than the first one...and..and...SACD sounds totally better than DVD-A...and...and...etc. etc.;)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I really dont have time to waste on childish garbage and your the one that started in on the sarcasm. And if I get in a hury and make some spelling mistake I could care less to be honest with you. I am not here at this board to impress anyone, I am hear to find out information and to put my own 2 cnets in. :laugh: And its been hard to read since I lost my glasses so hopefully I will have a new pair soon. Its clear that we will not agree on much so lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

As far as a reprint with a DTS track goes, that cool in my book. But I think its even better that they are adressing the problem that came up with the release. Is there any official release date for the corrected discs?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
OK. I guess we can agree that the endless banter should stop. If I did say something to begin with that was sarcastic or otherwise I apologize since I don't want to start thread bashing.

But to answer your question, no one has commented on any other DVD sites regarding this issue. Where did you hear mention, from the studio or otherwise, that they have addressed the problem or commented on it?

If they do intend to release corrected discs to address the potential flaws then that is fine, but there will not be a new disc with DTS, that I can be sure. It's not like going back and fixing an audio track and not having to alter the rest of the disc. Its been done before and not really out of the studio's way if there is a mistake.

To add a DTS track in the extended cut would mean going back and redoing the entire set and having to move things around, etc, which would be too costly and defeat the entire purpose of issuing the set to begin with if they are just going to redo it. I dont know if this has been done before outside of a re-release (like this set or others, for example), it just seems unlikely.

People who bought the set the first go around would have no problem exchanging potentially defective discs, but to issue a whole new set with a DTS? That would not go over so well.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ok, all "joking around to calm people down" stuff aside, they actually took the time to comment on the whole DTS controversy on the Info track made well before the disc was released....it isn't going to have a DTS track, Period, and they gave their reasons which were good reasons as far as I can see.

Pretty simple and final IMO.

Can't w..we all just get alo.....AWWWW screw it!;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

(looks around) Who...me? Hey I ain't the one who said that bro, Joshb said that.....now just put down the sharp pointy stick and back away from it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would like to apologize for letting things get out of hand. This is not what this site is about and I am sorry. As far as the problem I could have sworn it was this tread hear. Because as soon as I hear about it my room mate walk in the door with the movie and I told him he should take it back and get something else.

I honestly did not read alot of the thread beyond that as I did not want to chance it given that there have been other bad releases other than Gladiator. Have you noticed anything odd about the sound on your copy? Its a great movie with or without the extra footage. I should have a new tv as early as next friday. And Gladiator is one of the movies I am going to watch in the first few days after I bring the tv home.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I personally did not notice the distortion in the Carthage scene, and though my set up is not as impressive as what many here run, I am pretty sure there is now distortion in the dialogue.

I hardly think that it is a huge issue. There have been plenty of releases, even current ones, with some kind of static/distortion. I recall Sin City being one (in the beginning b/n Bruce Willis and Michael Madsen for instance) This was pointed out on this site and several others. I read many of the other sites reviews of the title, and none mentioned this problem. They did lament missing the DTS, but said the DD was still a fine mix.

Maybe it shows up on some systems more clearly rather than others, but unless there was an official announcement or someone contacted the studio about it, I have yet to see an actual recognition by Universla regarding it. If there is a flaw in the mix, it should be brought to there attention and addressed.

This distortion is mentioned in the Battle of Carthage scene, but not so much in others. Even in the opening, which features loud dialogue, no one seemed to notice anything like it. It seems to be confined to just the one scene apparently.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
After all of the yelling that went on about this I rented the disc from Netflix and gave that scene a listen to judge for myself, I heard it pretty damn clearly I have to admit.
I even listened to it on a DVD TV combo in the kitchen and heard it.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I also hear the distortion every time. There is also some in the Tiger scene. Shame as the film and other aspects of the DVD are awesome!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
finally watched this last night.

some of the new scenes are a tad distracting.

there is center channel distortion, but not distracting enough to burn bushes. with the overall soundtrack being noisy, the focus is on the action.

bass is fine.
but dialogue clarity for the most part is lacking, much like any extended cut which needs a different track altogether. The worst offender was DAS BOOT extended (no bass!).

what was the MOST distracting was the distortion in the left surround channel when the mob is chanting LIVE LIVE!

actually, no one has mentioned the EE that is quite evident, but not too distracting.

only reason to buy would be extras I gather...haven't watched yet.

what are the easter eggs and how are they accessed?

Soah

Agent
has anybody tried to contact dreamworks and let them know about this issue? it seems so many DVDs are rushed and sold to the public these days being defective. Star Wars A New Hope, LOTR The Return of the King, Gladiator EE...these all have audio issues

when something like this happens, a studio should issue corrected disk exchanges for those who care. They do not necessarily have to destroy or recall every single copy of a release but they should provided a corrected version to those who request it. i really don't see why such apparent issues never seem to be caught on such popular releases. do the people who put together DVDs even bother to watch them?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks