Gladiator disk won't play all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Harris, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Gary Harris

Gary Harris Stunt Coordinator

Earlier I decided to watch Gladiator. I got this disc when it first came out for Christmas & I've watched it a couple of times before with no problem. About half way through it starts pixelating & the picture & sound cutting in & out for the rest of the movie. This also happened right at the first with the Dreamworks logo right after the audio selection screen. I took the disk out & it has no scratches, just some light cloudy areas. I guess my question is...what do you do when something like this happens? I'm extremely fussy about how I handle & store my DVDs. Is there any way to return it to Dreamworks? This is the first problem I've had with any DVD. Thanks for any help on this.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I assume your laser has o difficulty focusing on layer 2 with any other of your DVD's. It could just be a disk that has gone "bad". I know with the mastering process they can have rejects sometimes, perhaps this one was borderline.

3. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Mine rotted as well. You actually have to contact Universal to get a replacement. I don't have the info, but go to the Digital Bits and go to their contact information section. Ask for somebody that deals with DVD (I forget the guys name). They sent me a replacement pretty quickly after I returned mine.

4. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Mine did the same thing!!
    I ended up trashing it and buying a new one.[​IMG]

5. Gerry A

Gerry A Agent

Yeah, my disc died on me as well, for whatever reason. I can't play Disc 2 anymore. Its only happened with Gladiator and I have a hundred DVDs now, and they all work fine. I bought the disc the very first time it came out and I think we talked about Gladiator discs becoming unplayable some ago here. It's happened to many Gladiator discs. I heard it here and I heard it from many other places.

I emailed Amazon about it and they said that I had bought it too long ago for them to replace it. Well, the problem did occur around 8 months after I first bought it.

I just ended up buying a new one.

6. Gary Harris

Gary Harris Stunt Coordinator

I have e-mailed Universal about this, now we'll see what happens. I'll let you all know. Thanks for the info, Jason.

7. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Gary,

Just so you know (I should have been more specific) I actually called Universal. I don't know how they are about responding to e-mails (I'm sure they get millions of "Why don't you release such and such on DVD?"). The guy I talked to was actually very cool, loved DVD and I wound up BS-ing with him for almost half and hour.