Gladiator--Deleted scenes in TV version?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CraigL, Nov 7, 2002.

1. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Hey all,
    Did anyone catch the two part Gladiator that just aired on ABC (I believe)?? They were promoting that fact that it had extra/deleted scenes and I was wondering if there were any that weren't included in the tv version.
    Hope this is the right forum...didn't know if it should be in movies, dvd or tv! [​IMG]

2. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Well, you might be in a little bit of a Catch-22 ... those that have the deleted scenes on the DVD are unlikely to watch a bunch of commercials on broadcast TV to be able to answer your question.

I do know that there were many deleted scenes not used in the movie. It is very, very unlikely that all of the deleted scenes were on the network broadcast. Some (not all) of the deleted scenes were deleted for a reason ... they stunk or do not promote the story effectively.

3. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    In one of ABC's ads for Gladiator, I saw a clip from the scene where Commodus takes a sword to the bust of his father, so I guess that one was probably in there. And in Ridley Scott's commentary on the DVD, he says he regretted cutting that scene. Not sure what else was in there, though; I only watched a little bit of it. Hard to watch something like Gladiator on network TV when your DVD of it is sitting right there on the shelf. [​IMG]

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Something that peeved me was that the deleted scenes (though fullscreen) look better in the TV version than they do on the DVD.

5. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Well,

Maybe it's because "Gladiator" was shot in Super 35, which would mean quite a bit more picture information than the scope theatrical print.

6. Anthony_D

Anthony_D Stunt Coordinator

All of the scenes were on the dvd...I taped the two parts that ran on television hoping that the footage was something different than was contained on the dvd.