What's new

Gladiator Blu-ray - release date 09/01/2009 - Read before buying! (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Has Paramount ever done a recall/disc-swap for something like this?

Anyway, like I mentioned before, I'll just chalk this up as one less BD title to buy and $ saved (for other more worthy titles). I just hope that Forrest Gump doesn't also have this problem as well.

_Man_

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
I won't be buying this release either and ended up canceling my pre-order. I hope the studio does the right thing and remasters because as it stands now, it's an absolute mess.

Christian P

Stunt Coordinator
I was really looking forward to seeing the extended cut, as I skipped the DVD waiting for the inevitable Blu-Ray release.
Even so, I cancelled my preorder because I don't want to support such practices. Thanks to everybody for pointing out the issue. This is why I come here! :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Edwin-S /forum/thread/292119/gladiator-blu-ray-release-date-09-01-2009-do-not-buy/30#post_3600564
If the Blu-ray looks better then the DVD, I'm sold, even if it's got imperfections, or minor issues. Plus, the HD video makes up only half the package, the lossless audio is the other half. That should sound far superior then the DVDs track.

But like I stated earlier, a rental is in order, then I'll decide. But minor issues like with the spears don't bother me. In fact, if I'd not read this thread I'm willing to bet I'd never even noticed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
with those ridiculous clean-up mistakes I don't think the blu-ray looks better.
at least on dvd everything that was meant to be seen is still there.

I guess I could close my eyes and just listen to the movie.

Maybe we should only be required to pay half price/

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
You've compared the Blu to the DVD? How does the rest of it look compared?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The way I see, it, top notch audio can never make up for a poor picture. A movie is fundamentally that--moving pictures, and that should ALWAYS be done right first and foremost. The best you can say about well done audio in a case like this is "well, they got something right", which isn't much praise at all when you think about it.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I can't imagine Ridley Scott will stand for this... he really is a crazy perfectionist. I hope he throws a fit and gets an all out replacement program going.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully one of the Hollywood insiders that frequents this forum(or the other forum that can't be mentioned here) will bring this to Mr. Scott's attention so he can take the appropriate measures. Fingers crossed.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Best Buy, if you buy both you save $10. So, $22.95 for Braveheart and $12.95 for Gladiator, even if Gladiator has some minor issues, it will be better then the DVD. Can't beat that!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat190500050009&type=category

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Somehow Ron, I don't think you'd be talking quite the same way if Gladiator had superb 1080p picture quality and DTS audio, even though that also would be an improvement over the DVD. :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
You are right Robert. To me, audio is almost more important. The impact audio has in the HT setting is almost more impressive then a less then perfect 1080p image. But that's just me.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Ron-P

You are right Robert. To me, audio is almost more important. The impact audio has in the HT setting is almost more impressive then a less then perfect 1080p image. But that's just me.
I take it you didn't take into account all the special features were all ported over from both Signature Selection and Extended Edition releases? I forgot, you usually throw out those extras discs. Bet you spent a bundle on Superbit DVD's.

I for one will be posting in the Charlie de Lauzirika part of the forum about this, will be purchasing the title so the studio does know there is enough interest for this, leaving it sealed, contacting studio support to voice my displeasure and wait for an eventual replacement program.
Thank my gut instinct for not selling either the Signature Selection or Extended Edition DVD releases. I did sell my 2-Disc SDVD of BRAVEHEART and Forrest Gump though. Will be taking advantage of the Best Buy deal, using goo gone for the labels/stickers, opening BRAVEHEART but not GLADIATOR.
I wonder why Universal just didn't use the master from the 2005 release instead of the older 2000 one? Should've also been held off to be released next year to coincide with the 10th Anniversary so Ridley could've had the time to supervise the transfer. Yeah Ridley Scott is gonna have an apeshit fieldday.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I will be passing on this one. Will just have to continue to make use of the most recent special edition. All things considered, looks decent enough with an upconverting DVD player.

I think one of the link had an address to Ridley Scott's production company. I think The Digital Bits has some addresses as well. Maybe a snail-mail letter or two is in order...

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Just about wherever you see a Blu-Ray demo in any store what is the majority of clips they are showing? Animation, particularly digital animation like that in a Pixar film. While it almost always looks impressive, what it is doing is creating a viewing expectation which will only accept picture quality that is as "pure" as that of digital animation, i.e. not "film," but an artificially etched ideal of reality. The goal seems to be to make everything appear as though it were an animated world where all imperfections are just a mouse click away.

As a result, many people only care about seeing the bright shiny gloss on their new Plasma sets. A projectionist friend of mine, who should certainly know better, exclaimed after viewing his first Blu-Ray movie, "It's incredible, it looks like LIVE TV!" So there you go. No one wants to watch PATTON with George C. Scott's natural complexion when you can see him look like an HD news anchorman or an airbrushed to the point of looking like the aliens from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS magazine cover model.

Welcome to the future where if it can't be nipped, tucked, erased and polished, nobody is interested. We have met Anne Francis in THE TWILIGHT ZONE and she is us.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I can't really agree with you on that, Point-Blank. I see a lot of good work being done, as much if not more than the bad work. In fact, I'm starting to think the DNR/EE problems we're running into aren't the fault of the "live TV" crowd as much as they are of the DVD mindset of the studios, at least with catalog titles.

Thing is, it seems to me that a lot of the problem transfers we're seeing for catalog titles come from a period before HD caught on, or at least before consumer-level HD discs started to make news. A good example of this is Gladiator compared to Braveheart. If what I'm reading from others is correct, the transfer for the former was made in 2000, when even if done in "hi-def" was still reviewed and tweaked for DVD. However the transfer for Braveheart seems to be much more recent (sometime in 2007) and is beautiful. I've seen a number of catalog Blu-rays that are stunning, and most of them were confirmed, or nearly so, as mastered and/or transferred fairly recently (e.g., the last 5 years or so). This list includes the aforementioned Braveheart (as well as the extended footage from Gladiator), all 3 Godfather films, Dr. Strangelove, Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, many of the Bond films, and the recent Ray Harryhausen reissues. Even films with that were remastered recently with controversial changes--The French Connection, Halloween, or Ghostbusters--seem relatively free of DNR or EE. Hell, even The Texas Chainsaw Massacre doesn't look bad for how it was shot. Meanwhile, films that we know have older transfers, such as Terminator 2, Evil Dead 2, and of course Gladiator get the same thing DVD got, except now we can see the problems that DVD couldn't.

Obviously, I could be wrong, but to me eyes (pun not intended) there seems to be a definite trend. There are a couple wild cards, too. No one seems to be able to discern what happened with the Star Trek films, not the least of which why they vary in quality from damn good to Clayface. And I'd be interested to find out why Patton and The Longest Day turned out poorly, yet Battle For Britain and A Bridge Too Far managed to look fine, when all 4 were released on the exact same day. I don't know if the first two were old transfers and the second two more recent, but I wouldn't be surprised. Now, this doesn't explain the trend on some of the more recent films, although as I said before, I think the good transfers outweigh the bad for them, too. Perhaps Robert, Charlie de Laurizka, or some of the other insiders have more to say.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

You've compared the Blu to the DVD? How does the rest of it look compared?
I'm watching right now.

Best Buy, if you buy both you save $10. So, $22.95 for Braveheart and $12.95 for Gladiator, even if Gladiator has some minor issues, it will be better then the DVD. Can't beat that!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat190500050009&type=category
this blu-ray does not have minor issues, and you can beat that with a blu-ray that is true quality and not just half quality(sound).

The audio is fine on this but all you do is hear it, people still will be looking at the video which is subpar.

besides all the missing arrows and fireballs, there is excessive dnr, ringing and what looks like oversharpening added to the image.
If I take my glasses off I hardly notice any of this.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Jesse, I hope you're right in all that you say and I certainly would like to share your optimism. I just wonder how much of a minority we who post in such forums are when compared to the PS3 consumers the studios seem to be catering to and coveting. When I see dreck like LEATHERHEADS on Blu, yet an established, consistently in-demand classic like THE GREAT ESCAPE is nowhere in sight, I begin to think that the last thing studios or viewers are concerned with is a more film like image in HD.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

Jesse, I hope you're right in all that you say and I certainly would like to share your optimism. I just wonder how much of a minority we who post in such forums are when compared to the PS3 consumers the studios seem to be catering to and coveting. When I see dreck like LEATHERHEADS on Blu, yet an established, consistently in-demand classic like THE GREAT ESCAPE is nowhere in sight, I begin to think that the last thing studios or viewers are concerned with is a more film like image in HD.
We're the minority for sure. When Ghostbusters came out I saw many complaints about how grainy the transfer is and how it should have been "remastered" to remove that grain. I tried to explain why a film from 1984 with heavy optical effect usage would look grainy and included links to discussions here but they mostly fell on deaf ears. If it doesn't look like a brand new movie or tv show then its "wrong". On the other hand there's the people who don't care about any problems like those on Gladiator and think that just because its on blu-ray it must be perfect.

I try to do my best to inform people but I don't argue with them any more. Most either don't care or don't listen and nothing I can say or show them is going to help so why bother?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks