Gladiator + Amplifier experiment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by adamb, Jan 2, 2002.

1. adamb

adamb Auditioning

Hello all

I have a Yamaha AX1 (I think it's called an RX-V1 yourside) that has just come back from repair (faulty rear left speaker, very quiet) and now feel "something is missing" from the sound. I've calibarated all speakers using a SPL meter and Avia.

Does anyone have two minutes to spare me and put in a copy of Gladiator and wait until the main menu pops up. Now, once the main menu has come up (where you can select chapters etc) the background music ONLY comes out of the centre speaker (very, very faintly from the left and right). My AX1 tells me it's Dolby Pro Logic. When I then go into the film (Dolby Digital) the music soundtrack seems a bit detached but the sound effects are superb.

I've got a feeling the main music in films is missing slightly (especially the intro to Toy Story 2) which I used to demo all the time. Now it just seems to have lost all punch and drive.

I've checked the speaker settings (small large etc) and made sure it's not on midnight setting etc. I've even tried flipping the impedence switch!

So, if you could do this experiment for me and post your results (what amp you have and what speakers output the music from the menu option in Gladiator) I will collate all the results and compare. I currently have the amp back at my dealer, and I've just been told that Yamaha can't find any fault at all. I'm hoping this quick poll will help me.

Many thanks in advance

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I have the RX-V1 and Gladiator too and will check this out for you later... since everyone else in the house is asleep right now.

BUT, my impressions have been.... most menus are in pro logic or less and the center channel is very strong during the sequence. I have found that the RX-V1 dsps handle different mixes very differently from what it replaced in my system... the 2095 Yam. I usually used spectacle dsp on the 2095 whereas now I use more of them and find more differences in the RX-V1.

I just wish that if a dvd is DD or DTS, that menus etc would be the same... I find it very distracting sometimes. I will be back later with my view on Gladiator.....

3. adamb

adamb Auditioning

DonnyD

Looking forward to your post, thanks mate.

I am trying to asses what the problem is with my Yamaha. Before I sent it away it sounded fantastic to me. But since it has returned (albeit fixed from the original fault) the overall sound has definately altered.

There are certain demo scenes (intro to Toy Story 2, etc) that I used to play all the time, and now when the music stirs up it seems very muted. There is definately music coming out, but it is understated compared to the sound effects. It's very hard to explain, and even harder to prove if Yamaha say nothing is wrong with the amp, but sometimes you have to just trust your own ears, and you know if something is right or wrong.

I have set all speakers to the same setting (large) and made sure all are set to the same db output via Avia and a SPL. When I do a test tone all channels are outputting the same db. I have the amp on auto detect, so it starts up in Pro Logic as default and switches to DD or DTS perfectly everytime.

Thanks again in advance

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Just finished some evaluations and will try to relate what I experienced with Gladiator and Toy Story 2. Mind you, this is certainly the views of a layman (lol) and I haven't actually listened to either for a while.

For reference, I started the demos with speakers set to large and switched to small for a second time around. (I have a SVS that usually does all the LFE work.)

In went Gladiator..... selected dts-es..... had V1 on DTS enhanced....

I put the dial on -40 and let her rip. On the lead in and the dts demo, I got spl reading of above 90db. Then when the menu came on, the music was indeed very muted and registered about 60-65.... almost entirely coming from the center.... almost imperceptable from the mains or elsewhere. I continued on to the "release Hell" scene where, as you said, the effects are great and whizzing all around you. As the battle waned and the score began, again, it was subdued but climbed in intensity as the battle fell off. Went through the same again with the DSP mode DTS Spectacle engaged.... of course the imaging widened and was fuller but the score did as before.... muted kinda yet climbed at the end of the battle.

Did all this again with speakers set to small. This is usually the way I run them....at least since I got the SVS. I have large, clean and strong mains but I feel I get a cleaner image with them set to small. Pretty much the same responses.

In went Toy Story 2: WOWSER... damn SVS blew me off the couch! I had kinda forgot about that one....

The effects kinda overwhelm the score somewhat but it was still there. Took no db readings other than the intro hit about 120db I think !!! I did run a test tone and made sure all was working. I just calibrated last week due to some speaker moving I had done. I do tend to run my rears about +3 db hot....like a lot of surround action.

Don't know if this is of any help or not. Sounds like I kinda confirmed what you may be experiencing. I know this is a dumb question, but have you made sure all your speakers are in phase?

Hope you get it figured out. If the AX is the UK equivalent to the V1, those suckers have a lot of stuff in them to mess with. I switched to the V1 back in the summer after having a 2095 Yam for about 2 years. The 2095 was great but I find the V1 more dramatic. Don't you just hate having to move the damn thing?!!!!

Good luck and let me know if I can be of more help....

5. adamb

adamb Auditioning

DonnyD
    WOW! What can I say??!?! A fantastic post that had REALLY helped me out[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    VERY interested to hear that the menu music from Gladiator ONLY comes out the centre (very, very faint from L+R). I was sure it came out the L+R but looks like I may be wrong.
    This is basically what I'm trying to prove to myself, that the PRO LOGIC menu music comes through the centre only. Hopefully this is the start of some excellent responses.
    In Gladiator, Toy Story 2 and Phantom Menace the music just seems so lacklustre, as I said before the effects are superb, perhaps almost drowning out the mains.
    Good shout about the speakers being in-phase, I've checked that out (positive to positive etc) and all seems right.
    Spoke to Yamaha yesterday, they asked if I was plugging the mains into the front effects, but gladly I hadn't made that mistake.
    Now I'm interested even more to see if it's just the Yamaha that produces the menu music in Gladiator throught the centre speaker. On my Sherwood amp it comes out just L+R !!!
    Once again thanks........it will be very interesting to see the results of other people's amps
    ADAM