What's new

Gladiator: 3-Disc Extended Edition announced for 6/7/05 ! (1 Viewer)

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Wow just caught this thread;

include me with :thumbsdown: for no DTS...that sucks. On my system DD and DTS are like night and day, there is WAY more detail with DTS.

Looks like this will be a renter for me...if the DD holds up possibly a double dip, but whoever decided to leave out DTS should be strung up and SHOT. Nobody would care if you had two discs for the movie...who cares if after 2 hours you have to get up and change a disc! I use to do it 4 times with a LD, and it's a good excuse to visit the can and refill the popcorn anyways!

Again, no DTS :thumbsdown: booooooo

RickHeart

Agent
All this talk about "definitive" editions is funny. I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a "definitive" edition to anything as far a this kind of media goes. I think it's more or less just construct of collectors in order to convince themselves that they have something lasting, that won't be supplanted (i.e. that they won't have to buy again). Really, what does that mean, the statement that this IS the DEFINITIVE edition? I'd be skeptical if a producer or director said that about a DVD, much less a consumer.

When the HD version of Gladiator is released, then that will be definitive, until, of course, HD-3D, then the HD-Virtual, culminating in the HD-Holodeck "Put you in the Arena" edition.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika

I think it would be more helpful to string up and shoot people who think that DVDs have an unlimited amount of disc space. But that's just me. :)

Also, to everyone else, remember, this hasn't even been officially announced. Whatever specs you've heard are not final and there is no announced release date yet.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal

Does anyone actually care that there is a movie in this set? Or a very extensive set of extras? Or that the specs are hardly official and nothing solid has been announced?

If you want DTS, hold on to what you already have, you won't lose anything.

I think this argument has been brought up numerous times with past DVD releases. I remember the same argument when the 3-Disc Black Hawk Down came out, and that was still one of the best produced DVDs ever, and is still a benchmark to be surpassed.

Would people have still purchased the extended LOTR sets if they did not include DTS?

You must also remember that some people do not have DTS capabilities, so including the track could mean sacrificing extras or the extended cut that some people may want to see, and could care less about how the audio is presented.

I know alot of people got into Home Theater in the first place because of the Gladiator set when it came out in 2000, which following the Matrix made people get dvd players, surround sound systems, and start to realize what the future was for the format. The DTS track was reference for the time, and is still considered a great track, but I know for a fact that not everyone's system is the same, nor do people hear the same way. What may be a better DTS track to one person may be a lesser track to someone else. I'm sure they considered the loss of the DTS track, but thought it was better to regain something more significant, which was both cuts of the film (if that is going to be so) as well as the extended cut.

I think people are too hasty to jump on the DTS bandwagon, and overemphasize this type of soundtrack. It's a constant argument on here that sometimes gets out of hand because people think that the lack of DTS is the end of the world and they will not buy the set. If DTS is the only reason why you would not buy it, then more power to you because you are clearly interested in the soundtrack than the rest of the package, which pretty much defeats even producing this extensive 3-disc set, since its major selling point for many will be the extensive extras/docs, as well as the extended cut.

This set is clearly meant for enthusiasts and collectors, and I for one will not miss DTS not being present, since I am excited that it seems to be a very comprehensive set.

I doubt we will see it on June 7th as was previously mentioned. If anything, we will learn what the specs are around that time. I would expect it sometime in October to coincide with the DVD release of Ridley's Kingdom of Heaven. If it was going to be June, we would have known well ahead of time what was coming out to allow more time for arguments and conjecture about what should have and should't have been included.

I think the horse has been beaten quite enough on this issue, and the debate about DTS or lack thereof should be quieted or discontinued and the discussion should be about what this set is meant to be about, which is the extended cut and the extras. The DTS issue should be irrelevant because it is not the selling point here, no matter how much people want to believe it is.

My $.02, and then some............

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
That is EXACTLY what I'll be doing. To me an audio commentary is the most important extra. It is the deal maker to me. I won't rebuy a DVD that has eliminated a commentary, no matter what other extras have been added.

And why pick on my post? :frowning: There were other persons also expressing a lack of support for a DTS-less DVD.

With the Studios constantly redoing their DVDs if I wait a year or two maybe they will put out a 4 or 5 disc set WITH DTS & the commentary back! ;)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams

But the 2-disc LOTR never had a DTS track so if the 4-disc sets would have been released without one it would not have been a feature that was dropped, which is the case with Gladiator. I'm to the point were I don't care about extras any more (have been for years). The movie presentation is #1 in my book and this new release is a step backwards compared to the original release w/o DTS. The movie is what counts not the extras, I'll stick with my original copy until an HD version comes out. No DTS=No Sale

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I apologize for the post, I wasn't picking on you personally but rather trying to make a point that the lack of DTS isn't the end of the world. I was just using yours as an example, so no hurt feelings I hope......:)

I think even Charlie has heard enough and wondering if this set should even see the light of day:)

True that the LOTR 2-disc didn't have DTS the first time around, but if it didn't have it in the re-release it wasn't something that was dropped, just not included. I can only imagine the horror had this been the case.........

You cannot say that the major selling point of the extended LOTR sets was DTS at all. It was certainly the longer cuts of each film and the extensive supplemental material. Isn't that the case here?

I agree that a commentary is an important extra because to just get some actors and directors to sit down and talk about their film for 2 hours is a challenge due to scheduling or lack of interest. It's great to see Ridley take such an interest in the DVD process.

I agree that the film is the most important feature on a DVD release, period. You can't have the DVD without the film, and the best quality should always be considered. This, for me, doesn't have to be DTS always, but still a good soundtrack to benefit the film's sound design and good picture to do justice to the cinematography and director's vision. The DVD doesn't need DTS to make it a better set, although I do agree it does help in some cases.

Presentation is important to me, but DTS does not make the sale. I would rather get my money's worth in terms of an overall presentation (A/V and supplements) than "sacrifice many for the sake of a few." Believe it or not, I can still listen to Dolby Digital tracks when I watch a film, not just DTS alone. :)

I don't agree that not buying a reissued DVD because of lack of commentary. While some commentaries are good, I would certainly rebuy (if it is warranted) if the commentary falls short of expectations, or what should be expected. If the film is 2 hours and the commentary is full of pauses or irrelevant information, then why waste the time or money. Some commentaries are worth the price of purchase alone (Ridley's come to mind, as do several John Carpenter/Kurt Russell commentaries, for example). To me some just have to be significant or worthwhile to warrant listening to them more than once. I for one don't have alot of time on my hands to listen to just a commentary when a film is at least 2 hours long, so I usually watch the film first, and then maybe later sample some of the film makers thoughts throughout the movie.

I guess part of what makes the whole hearsay/conjecture of what may or may not be included is all part of the fun, and its alot like Christmas trying to guess whats inside the package when we can't see it.

I guess I just enjoy having my money's worth when it comes to buying DVDs, and would like as much a comprehensive DVD set as I can get.

I for one treasure such sets as the BHD 3-disc (I actually own the R3 4-Disc set) as well as such sets as Hellboy: Director's Cut, Alien Quadrilogy, and Battle of Algiers: CC just to name a few. To me, they are as close to DVD perfection as you can get, and a fine example of what can and should be done with the format. I think its important to give some films, even regardless of stature, a certain level of treatment to give us more background into the film making process and what it takes to make a big budget film. I just think the time and effort put into the film should be reflected as much as possible in the DVD releases if said film warrants such an effort. Some films may not receive the box office reception or critical accolades, but that doesn't mean the DVD release cannot be extensive.

Some re-releases are simply marketing ploys to sell the actor/directors new film or ignite interest in a older release, but some are put out after being announced with their lesser counterpart. Such was the case with Hellboy and Panic Room, and now with more recent films like Kingdom of Heaven and Sin City. I certainly am all for this method, or just releasing a bare bones set and its extensive counterpart simultaneously.

It does hurt the consumer (and the collector) when the re-release is unexpected or even unneeded. I don't think a re-issue of Gladiator is a bad idea at all. I think the set was done to the best of its ability back in 2000 and offered as much supplements and A/V quality as possible. This newer release when it comes out is more of an alternative to that first set, and doesn't have to be for everyone. Although many of us love the film (myself included) and would welcome a re-release given what the tentative specs are.

If the set even includes some of whats being discussed, it would be a great release and a frontrunner for the best DVD of the year. Some films need a newer or extended cut, and Gladiator, while still a great film, could use some added material to help strengthen the story and add to the character development.

Heck, even I give up..................... :D

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
99% of the time it is to me also. I take it as a given that most every Studio will put out as good a presentation as possible. If not, I'll find out about an inferior presentation through a review & not buy it the DVD. And I'll stay with an alternate video version, assuming one is available. But there are those rare times when I'll buy a DVD of less than wonderful presentation (Always it is a non R1 DVD) because it is not available in R1 & I REALLY want it.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I only disagree with you in terms of the DVD taking a step backward in terms of the quality of extras. Bear in mind that nothing is official, so we may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg.

If what the tentative specs are in this case, how can it be taking a step backward as far as extras? There was mention of a 200+ minute documentary, with never before seen footage. Has this even been done before? This alone would rival anything a studio has put out for any ten of its DVD titles combined. Even from the rumored specs, the volume of the possible supplements is pretty overwhelming, and I for one appreciate it being a title such as Gladiator.

I think we are forgetting one important thing, and that is that this set is even being created. Many of us could just stick with our regular Gladiator DVDs and be satisfied. I would never have thought an extended version of this film would ever come out. Add to that an extensive documentary and additional supplements. I cannot imagine how people could overlook the amount of work and effort that must have been put forth for such a set. But it seems all people are talking about is the lack of DTS or commentary.

DTS takes up a great amount of disc space, and in order to preserve the picture quality and the runtime of the film, something has to be given up. Sure, we can say drop this or drop that, but thats not the issue in this case. This is meant to be an extended and comprehensive edition of the film, and dropping DTS by no means lowers the quality. It raises it considerably by allowing for supplemental material to be added and raises the quality of the DVD's overall presentation. DTS is only a soundtrack. There is still Dolby Digital 5.1, and we have a great track in the EX one that was on the original 2-disc Gladiator.

I realize that I have been giving the DTS crowd a difficult time. I just think that a more important issue is being forgotten here, and that is that people such as Charlie de Lauzirika put the effort and time into these releases as they do. Where would the format be today without their contributions? I think many have taken the interest they have in the DVD industry because of their contributions and efforts in producing such high quality sets, so let's not forget who is making this release (along with past and future DVDs) possible.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
@JoshB

No it is not irrelevant, because that kind of extra is important for some people including me.
The new Apollo 13 set has the same problem, better picture, same extras and no DTS. Why should I sacrifice again a considerable amount of money for a product that is not really better in those parts that are important to me.
I agree that 2 DVDs full of extras are nice, but the movie and its technical specs comes first.
And if you refer to Black Hawk Down, then you're right when we talk about the american 3-disk set (which was the first of its kind). So as a DTS addict, I bought the German standart edtion, then the 3-disk US and finally the 3-disk Japan edition with DTS :)
So, only time will tell what's gonna to happen and what will be worth to buy.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

Good work, guys. :frowning: Seriously, what a way to kill a fun event. Sound is the last thing on my list. The film itself comes first -- that's why I own a copy of Blade Runner on DVD. And that's why I check the pre-order charts every day hoping this new Gladiator DVD gets announced. I'm sorry to lose the commentary, but I am brilliantly happy that I'll be able to see an extended version of one of my absolute favorite films.

I have absolutely no complaints.

This DVD is being produced for people who want it; I want it. If you don't want it, please stop posting negative comments. If sound were so important, then wouldn't Pearl Harbor be a better purchase than Seven Samurai? I mean, it's the different between DTS ES 6.1 and monoaural sound, for crying out loud. Well, it doesn't stop Seven Samurai from being one of my favorite DVDs. The package is just... well... packaging.

Mr. Lauzirika, I hope your comment doesn't mean what I think it means. Regardless of what a few naysayers may think, I've yet to see an ill-produced DVD with your name on it -- in fact, I've yet to see a less than great DVD produced by you. And when you combine that with the fact that Ridley Scott is one of the my favorite directors -- I don't think a single negative thing in the world can be said about that. This DVD will rock my world. Heck, the first disc alone is going to rock my world. You've got my $39.99 or whatever the price will be right this moment. Cheers.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
@Elijah Sullivan

What's your point here ?
Your opinion the only one that matters ? Everyone has a different view of things. Where's the problem to spread the movie upon two disks in the way of the LOTR SEE's and make everyone happy ? I'm no naysayer, in fact I'm a big pillar of the collection comunity with now more than 1800 DVDs ;)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Opi: Another disc means more money -- and it's a little late in the process, I think, for them to alter their authoring plans so much. Where I come from, you don't tell someone to spend more money producing a product that they aren't obligated to make in the first place. It's rude. I didn't mean to come across self-righteously, but I truly think that the DTS comments of a few weeks ago and the fourth-disc assertions are unfair things to ask.

This is, after all, not a double-dip, since it's been five years since the original disc, you can't really call this a money-making scheme. This disc is for the fans, and it offers a new cut of the movie that nobody ever asked for. This is, essentially, a gift to the fans. Remember what they say about never looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I find it funny how critical this thread is of this title because we are "losing" the commentary and DTS on this release, a release of adifferent cut of the movie which means that the commentary and DTS tracks don't currently exist! Would you prefer that they recycle the old commentary and leave it filled with gaps? Do you think that maye Scott is happy with the previous commentary, and the the 200 min documentary covers everything he has to say about the film and the new cut? HAve we heard what the DD track for this sounds like, and know for fact that it is not as good as the current DTS? Is it really a givin that the DTS track is guaranteed to be better if it is created? Does you current 2 disc set with DTS and commentary no longer exist when this hots the shelves?

As was previous posted, the team of Ridley Scott and Charlie de Lauzirika have put out some steller sets, from the amazing BHD, to the more stream line "Matchstick Men". I can't wait to get my hands on this! I'm guessing that Charlie is probably doing "Kingdom Of Heaven" as well, which could explain why this is probably a down the road release.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
You're all entitled to your opinions. Thats without any question. But the same is true for me and the other fans of DTS audio tracks. Can't I comment on something that is made for me - the buying customer ? Haven't I written that I bought 3 different editions of BHD, each for its own reasons. I never said DOUBLE DIP, in reality I welcome every excuse to buy my beloved movies again. I truely enjoyed the documenteries on the BHD and especially the history documentaries on the Pearl Harbour 4-disk sets. Friends, be happy that you don't long for those nasty noisy DTS tracks as much as me. That will save you some money and a lot of disappointments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks