What's new

Gladiator: 3-Disc Extended Edition announced for 6/7/05 ! (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

I have to disagree, there are way too many extras from the 2-disc set not being carried over to make this a definitive version. When I think of definitive I think of having every possible extra included that is available and that is not going to happen. The only way to get a definitive version is to own both the 2-disc OOP version and pick this one up.

CraigL

Screenwriter

I have it...and to my eyes it LOOKS better...

But...

Doesn't have the DTS-EX track on it... ;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Which is what every fan of the film should do, if only for the commentary track. And the DTS, too.

CraigL

Screenwriter
There's always hope for another region to get a DTS track on this. ;)

Do we know who the producer is for it? Maybe he posts here?

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika

Nah. There are enough experts in this thread to choke a computer-generated rhino. Like others, I'll just wait for the reviews. ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Almost 3.5 hours behind the scenes on a Ridley Scott epic, and no one is interested. I'd like dts as well, but that would be a bonus. I'm buying this for the extras alone.

It's Ridley ****ing Scott,
Chuck

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Ahh, nice to see you are doing this one Charlie!

I'm now completely sold, you do fabulous work on these DVD's! I'm sure the DD on this well knock our socks off! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
This seems completely worth it for the extras. I bought the Panic Room SE for the commentaries and documentaries (and out of the hope that I'd see the Nicole Kidman footage), but kept the original single disc version because the film presentation was superior, and I'll do the same here.

The feature-length documentary should be amazing, the Black Hawk Down one certainly was. I'd pay the full price just for that disc. In fact, I'll probably never even touch the first disc unless the video quality on the theatrical cut is somehow improved, because I am not a fan of re-edited films. I want to rewatch a film the way I first saw it in a theater, unless it was severly artistically compromised on its release.

That's what I wonder about this whole "extended edition" thing. Was this something Ridley Scott himself actually felt moved to do, or is it just a marketing decision to make the title look more exciting. I've never read him complain about the version that was released in theaters.

Oh and I want to add, in case you see it, thank you Mr. de Lauzirika for producing some of the best DVDs on the market. They are easily the most immersive in the filmmaking process. Too many discs are just loaded with leftover EPK material. I always look forward to your discs and will be buying this one the day it comes out.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
On at least one of the deleted scenes on the first release (where Commodus defaces a statue of his father with a sword) Ridley Scott stated in his commentary over it that he really shouldn't have cut the scene out, because it was good and not all that long.

So we know he was dissatisfied with that particular scene not making it.

I can't remember the commentary from the other cut scenes that well.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Charlie, since you're obviously involved in this new 3-disc "Gladiator" set (one of my favorite guy films, no less!), would you happen to know which deleted scenes have been restored to the film for the extended cut?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

Disagree. Cramming every possible extra doesn't make an edition "definitive," it makes it repetitive. A definitive edition covers all the ground necessary so that all the information that is intended to be revealed is revealed. How many DVDs have been criticized for having commentaries that just regurgitate information from that documentary, or vice versa? Do we really need an HBO promotional piece that reveals nothing and serves only to try and get butts in seats™?

I never picked up the initial release because the movie it self didn't work all that well for me, but between an extended cut and what is sure to be another fascinating de Lauzirika doc, I'll be there for this one.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I'm beginning to think this was an April Fool that somebody let out on April 1st but most places didn't start reporting until a couple of weeks later.

Where's the evidence of this actually happening? It certainly isn't gonna be ready for June 7th!!!

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I was just wondering myself when this is coming out (I don't doubt that it is). It is not up for pre-order anywhere as far as I can tell.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
This silence is starting to worry me, too. It streets in just a little over a month...

This better not get cancelled. Is it common for a major release like this to appear on shelves without a set price or pre-order option only a month before street date?

Johnny G

Supporting Actor

Would you like to lay a bet on that?

Dealer pre-orders for June 7 titles range from April 15 to May 13 depending on the title & studio, DreamWorks are distributed by Universal, who have April 28 as their pre-order date for June 7 titles.

When I said "Where's the evidence of this actually happening?", I meant on that date, as it CLEARLY isn't!!!

Joe:C

Second Unit
I might actually get this. I have been more than happy with my 2-disc release so when I heard about a possible new release I wasn't interested. Seeing the specs though has made want to get this, if just for the documentary alone. I'll probably keep my 2-discer and have that ultimate 5-disc set.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Huh? Obviously, the entire film will have had to have been remixed anyway in order for an "extended cut" to exist as a finished entity, why do you think it would cost some exhorbinate amount of money to run that new mix through a DTS encoder as opposed to a Dolby Digital encoder?

Movies are not "mixed" in DTS or Dolby Digital- those are encoding formats. Movies are mixed in uncompressed discrete multi-channel digital sound. There may have to be some small tweaks done when running those mixed tracks through the Dolby or DTS encoders perhaps, but it certainly won't add some massive amount of money to the budget to run the uncompressed soundtrack through one encoder vs. the other.

Vincent

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
ANY FRESH NEWS ON WHEN THIS MIGHT BE HAPPENING YET?

I'M BEGINNING TO THINK IT'S JUNE 6TH 2006!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks