What's new

Gladiator: 3-Disc Extended Edition announced for 6/7/05 ! (1 Viewer)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
This just in from OFFICIAL sources:

GLADIATOR: EXTENDED EDITION
3-DISC SET

Featuring "all-new, widescreen extended version of the film including 17 minutes of additional scenes" AND the original theatrical cut on the first disc!!! No director's commentary is availible :frowning: but there is a trivia track.

The two seconds discs will be packed with extras:

DISC TWO: "Behind the Scenes"
DISC THREE: "Image and Design"

Too many extras to list! (There is an "abandoned sequences" featurette on disc three that sounds cool.)

Also included is a booklet that looks attractive, but the advertisement doesn't mention exactly what it is.

The packaging is NICE, with an very classy cover image that doesn't duplicate the theatrical poster or previous DVD release. I prefer it, honestly. The case is a black digipack, with a sandy-colored inset movie still for cover art. Sweeeet.

The extended cut, to repeat, is 2hrs. 51min. minutes long and UNRATED.

The price is listed as TBA.

EDIT: If I sound a bit like a press release, it's because I love this movie so much that I'm pretty much repeating the the advertisement I saw without much loss of hyperbole. This looks like a great DVD release and I am definately down for a pre-order.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
Here are all the details:

DISC ONE: EXTENDED FEATURE FILM
All-new, widescreen extended version of the film, including 17 minutes of additional footage.
Original theatrical version
Introduction to extended edition by Director Ridley Scott
"Are You Not Entertained?" Trivia track, including historical references and production details
Deleted Footage Marker. Guide to help indentify the newly restored footage.

DISC TWO: BEHIND THE SCENES
"Strength and Honor: Creating the World of Gladiator" Extended-length (200 mins) documentary features never-before-seen footage.
"Tale of the Scribes": Crafting the story
"The Tools of War": Weapons and vehicles
"Attire of the Realm": Costume Design
"The Heat of Battle": 3 Production Journal Featurettes
"Resurrecting Proximo": Digitally salvaged scenes with actor Oliver Reed after his untimely passing
"The Glore of Rome": Oscar-winning Visual Effects
"Echoes in Eternity": The film's release and global impact

DISC THREE: IMAGE AND DESIGN

Production Design Primer and Gallery
Storyboard Demonstrations and Comparisons
Abandoned Sequences
Ridleygrams: Ridley Scott's own sketches
Costume Design Gallery
Photo Galleries
Deleted Scenes
Letters From the Front: Authentic memos on the challenges of production
Commodus Screen Test (Joaquin Phoenix)
Visual Effects Explorations
An Evening with Russell Crowe
And Much More!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Sounds like an interesting new version! I'm wondering if the extra footage are the same deleted scenes that were included in the deleted scenes section on the original disc, or if they are sampled from that section.

A shame that Scott's original audio commentary is not present on the new set, nor are the Treasure Trove music video (the 7-minute collage of outtakes set to music), the documentary on the life of the gladiator, Spencer Clark's on-set diary, or even the fun "Gladiator"-themed teaser for "Chicken Run". I definitely plan on keeping the original 2-disc release, though I'd like to know which deleted scenes are going to be included in the new extended cut.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sounds cool. I doubt I'll pick it up since I already own the first release, but I'd love to at least check it out.

Anyone have pics of that artwork described in the first post?

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
So can anyone do a comparison of what is included/excluded compared to the earlier 2-disc set?

WOW, JUST SAW ON THE DIGITAL BITS, NO DTS TRACK!!! Definitely a no sale for me knowing that.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Sounds like a great release. Very little, if anything, carried over from the original OOP two-disc. Seems like that is now somehwhat of a collector's item (definitely keeping it even if I decide to upgrade :) ). Looks like a great feature set! Wonder if they will bring back the DTS track.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
No DTS? That cannot be right. This movie is DTS. I will for sure pick it up...even without DTS. This is just in time for HBO's Rome series.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Since commentary and other extras aren't being carried over, as well as the 6.1 DTS track, I'm definitely keeping the first version, and getting this one as well. Gotta love Ridley!

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
The Digital Bits has some interesting things to say about the accuracy of the announced specs over in their Rumor Mill. And although they don't mention a release date, I am 100% confident of the June 7th timeframe, based on my publicity material.

As for the DTS track: I don't own the previous (and great) Gladiator release, so I would gladly trade DTS for the prospect of getting the theatrical cut included in the package and the reduced price due to three discs instead of four. The old audio track was, I agree, fan-freaking-tastic... but the content itself is more important to me than the presentation. It's a shame, but I'm not about to skip a great release because the audio is merely great instead of fantastic.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Sheesh.

Some people need to get a grip. If the PICTURE is better, there's lots of extras, and if the DD track sounds awesome you STILL wouldn't get it?

Daniel-M

Second Unit
screw extras and commentary, i want DTS.
I think i am going to wait until i can get this on a HD-format

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, screw the extras on this set... There's nothing wrong with the previous release. ;)
I'll wait for a DTS version of the Extended Cut without the extras.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So we lose the DTS 6.1 track and Ridley Scott commentary.

The "HBO First Look" making-of gets dropped.

The Learning Channel's "The Bloodsport Of A Gladiator" gets dropped.

The 25 minutes of deleted scenes with director's commentary gets dropped?

The 7 minute montage of additional unused footage assumably gets dropped.

The interview with Hans Zimmer on scoring the film, dropped.

The production diary by Spencer Treat Clark gets dropped.

The slide show, concept art, storyboards and photo gallleries all get dropped.

Why not just make it an extended director's cut and drop the original theatrical cut altogether?

I hate having two of the exact same movies on DVD sitting on my shelf, it just feels silly. Unless there's a significant improvement on the transfer or the extended footgae, I'll likely pass on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks