1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Order Gladiator (2000) (4k UHD Steelbook) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    91V-AKUceHL._SX522_.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Celebrate the Anniversaries of Two Best Picture Academy Award® Winners with Limited Edition 4K Blu-ray™ Steelbooks

BRAVEHEART

GLADIATOR

Critically Acclaimed Epics Arrive May 5, 2020

The exhilarating, triumphant, and award-winning masterpieces BRAVEHEART and GLADIATOR will arrive in Limited Edition 4K Blu-ray Steelbooks on May 5, 2020 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2020, BRAVEHEART won five Academy Awards®, including Best Picture. The richly detailed saga of power, passion, and the fight for freedom stars Mel Gibson (who also took home the Oscar® for Best Director) as William Wallace, a bold Scotsman who rallies his countrymen to liberation from oppressive English rule. The 4K Steelbook includes access to a digital copy of the film and previously released commentary by Mel Gibson on both the 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray presentations, along with more than two hours of previously released bonus content, including interactive timelines, a making-of documentary, multiple behind-the-scenes featurettes, and more.

Originally released on May 5, 2000, director Ridley Scott’s GLADIATOR celebrates its 20th anniversary. Also a winner of five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, the film is an unparalleled combination of vivid action and extraordinary storytelling. Russell Crowe won the Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role for his portrayal of a Roman general who is betrayed by a corrupt prince (Joaquin Phoenix) and comes to Rome as a gladiator to seek revenge. The 4K Steelbook includes access to a digital copy of the film and both theatrical and extended versions of the feature on 4K Ultra HD, along with two separate commentaries. The two Blu-ray Discs included in the set boast over four hours of previously released bonus content, including commentaries on both versions of the film, a comprehensive documentary about the making of the movie, featurettes, deleted scenes, and more.

3. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Considering the relatively small number of catalogue titles available in 4K, am I the only one who thinks this is incredibly idiotic, not to mention insulting to those of us who supported the first 4K releases ?

4. Message #4 of 10 Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    While I can't understand how and why any studio decides on 4K UHD releases of classic titles, how is this insulting? PHE is trying to make money, period. Obviously they think that this steelbook will generate revenue for them. They don't owe the people who purchased the initial 4K release anything. I own the "regular" release and don't feel insulted in any way. If it was important to me and I wanted the steelbook, I'd buy it and sell the other copy I have.

B-ROLL and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  5. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    While it’s not insulting to me, it is annoying because they refuse to release other Best Pictures and nominees like ORDINARY PEOPLE, CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD, SHINE, Etc. They are just rereleasing product... how much do they expect to gain from a different case?

If they released NEW material, I think they’d make a lot more $$$ than from a steel book.

dpippel likes this.
  6. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Is the only difference in content, the steelbook?

7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    More than likely it's just the original release wrapped in metal instead of plastic. You're paying for the steelbook and artwork.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

I am not trying to be insulting, but this horse has been beaten to death.

We have all come to the conclusion that Paramount decided not to release their prized catalog of the 70s and 80s titles to Blu-ray.

They have also decided not to license to boutique labels.

This has been the situation for years and we pretty much understand why this is happening due to the climate of the purchasing market on older releases.

There is possibly a light at the end of the tunnel for Paramount. I have heard rumblings from within that could mean a positive future for fans of these titles. However, nothing is definitive and it could mean that the studio is going to continue releasing HD products to digital-only. I know at least one of those titles listed above is available HD via digital.

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    FWIW, I have the UHD of Braveheart, and it looks incredible. As far as movies like Ordinary People, it would never warrant a 4K release. The image quality simply isn't there. I did buy it on iTunes in HD for $5 on sale. I'm perfectly happy with that. That's about all we can expect, and about all that's needed.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Same here. I bought "Ordinary People" and "Children of a Lesser God" on HD digital from iTunes. Paramount has been upgrading some of their titles digitally on such services.