Giving my 2-week notice today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Handy, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

I am so stressed out right now. I have never had to give notice before, but I just got an offer from a company that I really can't refuse.
    I feel bad because the current job has so many great people and I fell like I am betraying them by leaving. I gotta tell you, though, that the 75 mile commute each way has really gotten to me over the past 16 months. This new job is 12 miles away, much closer [​IMG]
    Any words of advice for what to say and how to say it? Thanks!
    Jason

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

You just said it. You love the people, but the commute is killing you. From what I see, it will save you two hours a day for other things.

By the way, that you obviously care for your workplace now will be taken very positively, imho.

3. Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor Stunt Coordinator

I happened to give notice at my last job on the day when my boss came down to my cube and asked when a good time would be for my annual performance evaluation. I said that actually, it wasn't going to be necessary...

Don't worry about people questioning your loyalty or anything. They'll understand that you have to do what's best for you and for your career and family.

4. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am going to be having a talk with both of my bosses (at the same time...yikes!) in the next 10 minutes or so. I'll write back to vent my tension after it is all over.

Jason

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Don't burn any bridges. Just be honest and professional about it. Don't say/write anything that would make them think less of you.

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

As the old saying goes, make your last day your best day.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

8. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Well, I did it. Both bosses are sad to see me go, and told me that if the new job doesn't work out then I can always come back.

Basically I did just what everybody said: I was honest. They understood this was the right decision for me and my family and wished me the best of luck. I got all worked up for nothing. I love all the people at this place and will be sad to say goodbye, but I also have to think about the big picture.

Thanks for all the support today - it gave me strength.

Jason

9. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Glad it worked out for you Jason.

Good Luck with your new job.

Brian

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I hated my last boss and received a sadistic pleasure breaking the news to her about my leaving.
    Hmmm.. sure is nice outside today.. today might be a good day to quit without notice. [​IMG]

11. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

> I feel bad because the current job has so many great people and I fell like I am betraying them by leaving.
    I doubt they would feel that way if they were laying you off or canning you.

12. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

13. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Well, the real kicker is that I will probably have to do real work in this new job so I may be around a lot less starting in a couple weeks. Double-edged sword, I know...
    Jason
    P.S. Thanks again everybody, I appreciate all your input, and satire [​IMG]