What's new

Give me your inputs on this setup (1 Viewer)

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently found out about this forum last week or so. Let me tell you my story. I own a Bose lifestyle 12. After accidently running across this forum, I found out the truth about Bose. A very big disappointment to me. Now that I've learned the truth. I can't live a lie with Bose. Going to get rid of it on Ebay. You guys won't blame me for being a Bose victim I hope. Ever since then I've been searching for a new setup. Got some recommendations for Paradigm, so I've been reading a lot of reviews about their products, they have good reviews just don't know how dependable. Anyway, this is what I'm planning to get.

CENTER - CINEMA CC
FRONT L/R - PHANTOMS
SURROUNDS - CINEMA 90
SUB - PDR-10

Since I'm getting rid of the Bose, I won't have a receiver unit, so for receiver I picked out Marantz SR-7200.

Just to let you guys know, I was really stupid to neglect auditioning any of these new items I bouht. I know I know, really dumb.

Basically, I just wanna run these by you guys and I would appreciate any pros/cons.

I'm a big boy now, don't want to be caught with HTIB's.

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
i think any paradigm speaker will sound better then a bose cube.

paradigm seems to be popular among the forum members here, i think Canadian audio companies in general manufacture excellent speakers.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Dave when you've gotten the setup please let me know how it works - I am looking at a similar setup myself (smaller, Atoms as fronts - LOVE them! - and Cinema 70s for rears) and wondering if they (can) match?

thanks & good luck with your setup.

I'm in the midst of trying to dissuade a friend who's fallen in love with the little black Acoustimass cubes.. *sigh*

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
dave,

im in a similar situation as you, except im still in the process of building my speakers.

these are my fronts omni60
omni 60

this is my center

center

and i have two sawm40 subs

i will be buying the rears next week (my monetary funds are limited :frowning: )

the rears will be a pair of omni 50 speakers,

once i get all my speakers, ill save up for my receiver.

these speakers sound awesome, you forget that there are even speakers in the room

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
where do you folks purchase paradigm?
i am looking for monitor 7. and i can't see them on internet.

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, I have the 7200. It has some quirks, but the sound is fantastic. It's warmer character will probably be a great compliment to the Paradigm sound.

Good Luck!

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
Feisal, I will try to keep you posted with my new setup. I hope my Phantoms in the mains will not outperform other speakers.

Chun, I found a specialty store in the area by using Paradigm online's store locator. You can check it out.

Leon, in regards to the quirks, what kind of problem are you having. A member told me SR-7200 ended up being a bad unit due to the fact that it was unable to produce the intended current by Marantz rating.

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
The early 7200's had difficulty running video through the unit. Mine was supposedly fixed, but I think the picture through it is noisy. I run direct to the TV, so it is not really an issue for me.

The two quirks that annoy me most are:
- when hitting pause or when tracks change, there is about a 1/2 second delay. I can live with it, but...

- When using the preamp outs to go to an external amp, there is a click that happens with the delay above.

However, I still think it sounds better than any receiver I've heard for less than $1000.

The later 7200's may have had these issues addressed, so you may want to experiment at your dealer. If the unit sounds right to you, then you should be very happy with it.

Leon

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to learn about this. My Marantz along with my speakers are coming this wednesday. My Bose is already all packed up and ready to go.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Dave, that setup looks pretty good, but I'd consider going all performance line. The center speaker is probably the most important to HT, so I would buy at least the CC-170.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Justin thanks for that note to dave I will consider the CC 170s as well

Chun if im not mistaken, Paradigm do not allow web retails (I could be wrong tho)

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are right, consider the CC-170 bought. As a matter of fact, I'm going all performance line, replacing cinema 90 with titans for surround series.

Question, do you guys think a PDR-10 will handle a room 12x18 or do I need to go one step up?

DerrikW

Stunt Coordinator
no paradigm does not sell over the internet. And the setup you are looking to get will send even the lifestyle 50 running with it's tail between it's legs.

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
I've been trying to research on the prices for the Phantoms v2. I bought a pair of used ones through Ebay for $290 including shipping. But it is somewhat damaged with dents and 2in chip on the corner edge and side panel is loose. Basically, I want to buy a new pair and need to know the price range it is goin for. Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks