Give Episode 3 to Fincher!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I was really disappointed by the Episode 2 trailers when they came out. I saw the longest one with Harry Potter, and my jaw just dropped. Hayden Christensen looked achingly bad in the role, and Natalie Portman didn't look all that great either! I'm beginning to think that George Lucas can't direct actors (wink wink!).

I've got a feeling this next ones gonna stink like the first! As far as I can see it, the only way to save the third one, is to give it to David Fincher! Didn't he work on 'Return of the Jedi'? Just a thought!

Also - I've nailed down what really bothered me about Episode 1 - its the fact that you keep hearing about how the citizens of Naboo are dying and suffering, and you don't get to see one stinking non-royal or military resident until the very end of the movie, and even then they're all simple digital crowds. Its like watching a war movie but only seeing the generals discussing the broad outlines of the conflict. Really bad decision/judgement on Lucas's part IMO!

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

3. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Even if Lucas offered the project to Fincher (which he won't), Fincher wouldn't touch it with a 39.5 foot pole.

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Hmm. Giving part 3 of a 20th Century Fox film franchise to Fincher. Yep, thats a recipe for box-office success!

Seriously, I like him as much as the next guy, but I don't think this is ever going to happen. Apart from anything, I'd rather he concentrated on 'Rama' than doing a Star Wars film. I know he was with ILM at the time of RotJ, but thats hardly the best reason. Hell, give it to Joe Johnston if thats the way to do it. Frank Oz is a pretty capable director as well, and he's even acting there.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

And considering that no one has seen Episode II yet, all this talk is a bit premature....unless you fall into the "Lucas is Evil" crowd which would destroy any chance a film of his could ever have at being entertaining in your eyes, site unseen.
    I have for two + years now said that the biggest obstacle that Episode I (and Lucas) had to face was that many Hard Core SW fans were somehow expecting Jesus to step off the screen and kiss them on the forehead...and it didn't happen! I was expecting a Sci-fi film for all ages and that is what I got & I enjoyed it very much, hell Jar-Jar didn't bother me one bit (although the Japanese accented trade federation members still raise an eyebrow on me...I just don't get that one) and I still don't empathize with all these people who bitched & bitched like little kids about him, it's a freakin old fashioned comic relief character, give it a rest.
    But, hey, that is their entitled opinion & on the upcoming films this is mine, I will watch the films AND THEN AND ONLY THEN will I pass judgment.

7. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Although I love Star Wars with all my heart, the prequels do not deserve David Fincher[​IMG]
    Besides, the online petition for Peter Jackson seems to be doing pretty well[​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Yeah, for Episode III, Fincher will cast Brad Pitt as the next Sith apprectice, Darth Durden. He and Anakin get

into a bare-knuckle brawl (no lightsabers) and he throws Anakin down a flight of stairs, which cripples Anakin and necessitates the Darth Vader suit."

Dont forget the subliminal message, single frame of Yodas schlong as Obiwan and Amidala hold hands at the end.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Wait... Was Fincher the one who did Fight Club? If so, he'd be terrible for Star Wars. Joe Johnston would actually be a good choice. He knows how to keep the feeling of another person's franchise good. (Jurassic Park III was decent, and Alien^3 sucked. Though that wasn't really Fincher's fault, nothing on his resume supports a Star Wars mentality.)

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Adam,
    I do believe it is a joke. While Alien3 is as you said, the problem wasn't the direction, but the story. The difference between Fincher and Johnson (or even George) is huge. Fincher is brilliant, by all respects.
    I wouldn't really want anybody but George doing these films. I would rather save David for movies that deserve him[​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

11. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

12. Terrell

Terrell Producer

This thread should be nuked or put in the 100 other Star Wars thread.. This is nothing more than an attempt to whine about Star Wars and slam it. I've got one simple solution Paul, if you hated Episode I, and if you think Episode II will suck, then do us all a favor and spare us the whining and don't go see it. It's as simple as that.

As for Fincher, sorry, he sucks big time. I wouldn't want him within a million miles of Star Wars. This thread is pointless. There are tons of Star Wars threads that you could have put this in and spared us another Star Wars bashing thread.

Sorry Chuck, but Fincher doesn't even come close to deserving the phenomenon that is Star Wars. I can't even begin to fathom how bad a Fincher directed Star Wars movie would be.

13. Rollie

Rollie Stunt Coordinator

14. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Welcome to the Forum, Terrell! [​IMG]

16. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

17. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Since I don't get this thread at all, I'll duck out of here and let you guys continue this constrcutive thread.

Btw Paul, if you read my post I didn't say you hated Star Wars, but you hated Episode I, otherwise you wouldn't claim it stunk. Not that you have to like it. One other consideration. How about seeing Episode II before proclaiming it as a stinker.

18. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

19. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

20. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Point taken. I still fail to see the point here. But your point is taken. But again, if you think it's gonna suck, I go back to my original point. Skip the movie. It just seems to me you've already made up your mind about the movie based on 2 minutes. The same way those that say it's gonna rock have done. But I will say this, I see far more in those trailers that is good than bad. I personally don't se how you can be anything but impressed when watching those trailers. But to each his own.

As to Fincher, Lucas is directing and that's not gonna change. As for Fincher, not impressed by him. I can't think of anyone worse to direct a Star Wars movie than him. If Lucas couldn't direct, the only one I'd want is Spielberg, as he's 5 times the director that Fincher is and he understands Lucas' vision.

As for whether he worked on the original, I don't think so but maybe he did.

Actually, there are two huge ones that can easily be found. But no big deal.