Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Girls Trip Blu-ray Review
girltriptop-1024x540.jpg

Besides the missing apostrophe in its title, Malcolm D. Lee’s Girls Trip is also missing originality, wit, and class. In their place are predictability, trash talk, and raunch.

[review]

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yup, I agree. This movie got lots of good reviews and I can't figure out why - there's barely a clever, funny moment in the whole thing...

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
I thought it was hilarious, tons of laughs. WAY funnier than The Hangover. Not the most original thing in the world, but originality isn't a huge factor when it comes to comedy. It's all about the execution.

This movie got lots of good reviews and I can't figure out why

LOL, I love this. Do you suspect a conspiracy? Maybe it's just not your cup of tea?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It isn't genius or particularly inventive. Girls Trip, for me, was just fun. I laughed. I might have had a heart string or two pulled. But I enjoyed the heck out of it. So did the multi-cultural group we went with (guys and ladies, ages and orientations). Everyone left with a smile on their faces.

Sometimes that's more than enough. (That's all to say I have no interest in owning the movie. I don't think it would have any replay value for me.)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
LOL, I love this. Do you suspect a conspiracy? Maybe it's just not your cup of tea?

There are many movies that aren't "my cup of tea" whose appeal/quality I still get - this isn't one of them.

It's just another cheap, crass comedy without any obvious creativity or cleverness...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I said elsewhere I enjoyed this far more than the reviewer. I thought a few of the bits were clever, in that I hadn't seen them delivered in that way before; the zip line and the breakfast sequence may have been crass to some, but I thought it was a good play on situations that would only apply to an all woman cast that just worked. Haddish sold both extremely well.

Still, to me, the scene that gets me every time is Haddish eyes as she bolts across the hotel lobby for a bottle.

This summer saw two films come out on similar topics: this and "Rough Night" and this film is superior in every single way; funny where it needed to be, and yet had enough of a heart I cared about the characters. Was an instant buy here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This summer saw two films come out on similar topics: this and "Rough Night" and this film is superior in every single way; funny where it needed to be, and yet had enough of a heart I cared about the characters. Was an instant buy here.
Guess which one made $115M while the other did just $22M domestic box office? It looks like more people agrees with your opinion.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I take this movie as a good time movie. Some great laughs, nothing to really think about, just some good raunchy fun.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Matt Hough

Girls Trip Blu-ray Review
girltriptop-1024x540.jpg

Besides the missing apostrophe in its title, Malcolm D. Lee’s Girls Trip is also missing originality, wit, and class. In their place are predictability, trash talk, and raunch.

[review]
I know it's beside the point, but I don't think the missing apostrophe is an error, in this case. If it were about a single girl on a trip, then yes, an apostrophe would be required.

More to the point is while I have no particular interest in viewing this film, I also say why should all of the raunchy comedies be male centric? This isn't meant as a criticism, but as an observation.

One's mileage (Including mine!) may vary!

CHEERS! :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
What you're describing, Tony, is singular possessive (e.g. Girl's Trip) which would have been proper for one girl on a road trip, but for multiple girls, it should have been Girls' Trip, the plural possessive of girls. Thus my comment about the missing apostrophe.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
What you're describing, Tony, is singular possessive (e.g. Girl's Trip) which would have been proper for one girl on a road trip, but for multiple girls, it should have been Girls' Trip, the plural possessive of girls. Thus my comment about the missing apostrophe.
The use of the outside apostrophe has always been a source of confusion for me.

Also, these days, deliberately misspelled comedy titles (As if the misspelling somehow makes the film funnier!) aren't exactly uncommon. Take DUMB AND DUMBER TO (2014) for instance. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I saw this at a pre-release screening with a recruited audience that (logically) was overwhelmingly female, and being Toronto, was extremely diverse. Since the screening was at 4pm in the afternoon, the auditorium was only about 1/3 full, but those who were there absolutely screamed with laughter so hard you would have sworn the auditorium was full.

Boys, to paraphrase Dr. Frank N. Furter ; '"They didn't make it FOR YOU !"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I know it's beside the point, but I don't think the missing apostrophe is an error, in this case. If it were about a single girl on a trip, then yes, an apostrophe would be required.

More to the point is while I have no particular interest in viewing this film, I also say why should all of the raunchy comedies be male centric? This isn't meant as a criticism, but as an observation.

One's mileage (Including mine!) may vary!

Raunchy female-centered comedies aren't that much of a novelty anymore, IMO. "Bridesmaids" was such a big hit that inspired plenty of imitators, and both "Bad Moms" and "Girls Trip" did well enough to ensure the genre will persist...

dorianB

Auditioning
The use of the outside apostrophe has always been a source of confusion for me.

Also, these days, deliberately misspelled comedy titles (As if the misspelling somehow makes the film funnier!) aren't exactly uncommon. Take DUMB AND DUMBER TO (2014) for instance. :rolleyes:

One could argue that it is correct and as intended if the title is subject-verb rather than subject-possessive noun; something they do rather than something that’s theirs. Boys chill and girls trip, as in “Girl, you trippin’?” In that sense, Girls Don’t Behave Entirely Rationally isn’t quite as catchy a title.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks