"Girls Club" cancelled after only 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig_T, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Craig_T

According to the NY Times, Fox television network has cancelled David E. Kelley's new series "Girls Club." All 6 people that watched it must be crushed...

2. ThomasC

yay! it seemed like crap from the first to the last commercial...[​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

4. Jason Seaver

Ouch. It looks like neither of Fox's "blind buys" - neither "girls club" or "Firefly" had a pilot before Fox gave them 13-episode orders - is paying off. Not what they need at all.

Now, if Fox is clever - "Firefly" moves to Monday, and a "24" rebroadcast takes its spot on Friday.

5. MickeS

I haven't watched it, but does anyone else think that Fox are just way too quick to pull the plug on their shows?

/Mike

6. Brad Porter

I guess I can delete both of those unwatched episodes from my TiVo. My only hope is that somehow this move speeds the return of Andy Richter.

Brad

7. Jason Seaver

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The problem with Girls Club was how trite the writing was. DEK went for the "easy/cheesy" sexual harrassment angle for one girl, the impetuous/"speaks before she thinks"/get the firm in the trouble angle for another girl, and the "no filtering/no social graces" angle for the other girl.

9. MikeAlletto

Plus the 3 girls all acted like they were 12 years old and needed baby sitters while at work. Good looks will not carry a show this bad. It has got to be the worst show I've ever seen.

10. Rich Malloy

11. Jason Seaver

Nah... Brilliant is "CBS moves 'The Amazing Race' to Sunday at 8pm". This is merely clever. [​IMG]

12. Lew Crippen

Anybody else think that Kelly is in a spin loop?

His shows, normally show early promise and then deteriorate, as he either loses interest, concentrates on a new project, or the need to provide ever increasing levels of shock or fantasy drags everything down.

This time, there was zero promise from the beginning.

And I agree with all of the ‘trite’ and ‘bad writing’ comments.

13. Joel Mack

While the show was not great, I did enjoy looking at Gretchen Mol and Chyler Leigh...

Oh well...

14. Rich Malloy

I don't know, Lew. It's probably just a subjective "one man's treasure" sorta thing, but I've had a viscerally negative reaction to every single one of Kelley's shows from the very first episodes, going back to "Picket Fences". I don't think they degenerate - I think they suck right off the bat. Perhaps audiences simply wise-up or get sick of the coy fakery and bogus sentiment. Or perhaps they begin to resent having someone fumbling about their hot buttons like some hamfisted adolescent feel-up. Or maybe even we easy-going Americans, generally tolerant of the most dumbed-down pop culture entertainment, will finally turn it off if we feel it takes itself just a tad too seriously. And Kelley's shows, generally pretexts for sensationalizing whatever lame-o issues are currently being trotted out on the talk show circuit and in the supermarket rags, do have that annoying "tsk-tsk" pretense of being above the mire they wallow in.

15. Lew Crippen

Don’t hold back, Rich. What do you really think? [​IMG]
    Can’t say that I’m in disagreement, although I would not be quite so harsh on some of his series early shows. I do think that you nailed it on his issues being the ones of the moment, mostly ones without any substance.

16. MickeS

I've never watched more than a few minutes of any of his shows, but I liked what little I saw of "Ally McBeal". Of course, that just HAPPENED to be the scene where Ally is kissing Lucy Liu's character. [​IMG]
    /Mike

17. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Lead Actor

David Scarpa
    I Agree Rich I never saw why Hollywood Fawned over this Guy,Pretentious sums up what I felt about everyone of his shows. You Nailed it.

18. Thomas H G

The good news is that apparently this slot will be filled with reruns of 24. Yippe

19. Holadem

[​IMG]
    Isn't the Practice one of David E Kelley's shows? It is a damn fine show IMO, the only I faithfully watched until Smallville. I don't know what else he created but I am also far from being a TV guru.
    --
    Holadem

20. JonZ

DAMN!!!
    I LOVE Kathleen Robertson and was happy I'd be able to look at her every week.