What's new

Ginger Snaps 2 DVD (1 Viewer)

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

I finally got my order placed at Videoflicks.com. Thanks though. :)

Check out this page. It lists the Canadian disc as having

• Widescreen format
• Additonal French dub and French subtitles
• 5.1 dolby digital
• Director commentary
• deleted scenes
• cast audition tapes
• “Making-of” Vignettes including “Make-up,” “Stunts” and Creature Creation
• storyboards
• original screenplay

I think it's fairly safe to assume the Canadian disc is the one to get. For one, you're getting much superior cover art, plus it's most definitely going to include a 16:9 enhanced widescreen (1.85:1) transfer, and more than likely it will include all of the extras from the US Lions Gate release, and probably more. If the US Lions Gate disc has commentary and the Canadian disc does not, I'll eat my hat.

Fred Galpern

Agent
I picked up the US release last night. Overall, not as good nor as original as the first film. The actress that plays B is great and worth the cost of admission (OK, dvd). The new characters are about the same as the supporting cast from the first flick. If you are buying this to see lots of Ginger, stop, she's hardly in it.

The transfer is average, as is the sound, although the beast does have a great low end. The extras are shoddy at best. The commentary is labeled "Production Commentary" but does include the director. I listened to the first 15 minutes or so and was impressed. The comments are all relevant not the fluff we've been getting on many recent H'wood releases.

I'm curious to hear what the Canadian release actually includes. I got scammed last time, with Ginger Snaps. You'd think I would have learned my lesson! Much like B, I am an addict, can't control myself, especially when I come upon forbidden fruit, like a pre-release dvd :)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I just received the Canadian version in the mail and I can confirm that the back of the thing does list Director's Commentary. I haven't opened it yet, so I'll check later.

On the back, it says:

Image Ratio: 16/9 1.78
English 5.1 and 2.0
French 5.1 and 2.0
TV-Spots
Deleted Scenes
Auditions
Storyboards
Behind the Scenes
Trailer (English and French)
Ginger Snaps 3 Teaser
Director's Commentary
Ghost's Comic Book Art
Brigitte's Journal
Storyboards (again? :confused: )

One minor complaint though, the title on the spine is printed backwards...like some French titles do.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the update, Tom! Looking forward to when we'll have a solid comparison between the U.S. and Canadian releases, so that I can finally go ahead and order mine! ;) Can't wait to see it.

- Bob P.

At the London Canadian film festival we got to have a Q & A session with director Brett Sullivan after the screening and I was able to ask him about the commentary track on the upcoming DVD - he said that he was quite satisfied with the experience of doing the commentary and that they didn't hold back at all, also the director of the original speaks on the track too - that should be interesting ... also he said the DVD looks much better than the theatrical prints because it's exactly like what he saw in the monitors when they were editing it (not so black in those dark scenes?) There was no mention of the cast being involved with the commentary which I would've enjoyed... glad to hear there's a sneak peek of Ginger Snaps Back!! It'll be yet another good Tuesday for DVDs!! - Brett assumed that the American/Canadian DVD's would be about the same - but he said that's all out of his hands?

They've already got some ideas for a 'Ghost/Bridget' sequel so if Seville or Lion's Gate want to throw them some money to do it - they're all game for it!!

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
So has anybody confirmed whether the US and Canaidan releases are identical yet? I've been looking but haven't found the answer yet.

Gregory

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I finally found a review of the US Lions Gate disc.

Go here

Plus, the Canadian disc has some awesome cover art. It's very much superior to the US Lions Gate cover art.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Well, I got tired of the suspense so I just ordered the canadian version from amazon.ca. The price difference between the US and Canadian version was only a few bucks so why not... :)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Just a note for those who received the cover with the inverted title on the spine, just email [email protected] and they'll most likely tell you to send yours back for a new cover.

They told me to send it to:

Seville Pictures
147 St-Paul Ouest
2nd Floor
Att: Christian
Montreal, QC
H2Y 1Z5

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Cool. Thanks for the head's up Tom. Have you opened your DVD yet to tell us whether the specs are correct? :D

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Tom, do you send just the case back, or the entire package? Also, does it matter if its been opened? Thanks in advance.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
What exactly is this "inverted" spine lettering? I haven't received my copy yet, but the copies I saw in the stores (I was kinda surprised how well-distributed the DVD is) looked fine to me. Does "inverted" mean that the lettering is from spine bottom to top? IIRC that's how it was...frankly, if that's the problem, it does seem rather picky, and I'm surprised they'd reprint it.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

They didn't say, all they said is to ship it to them... I just sent the whole thing. I don't think it matters if it's been opened, but I would just email them anyways.

and Craig, yeah, it's just like the French titles on Alliance dvds. Yes, I'm being picky :b

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
This might sound kinda silly, but...could someone tell me what movie trailers are on the Canadian DVD?

Thanks.

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone else noticed slight pixellation on the canadian disc at approx. 01:03:47? There few other instances as well but don’t remember the exact times: once in the opening credits and the second time when Brigitte escapes through the furnace
. The pixellation is ever so slight and doesn’t seem to be generated by playback problems (no freezing or sound problems). It looks as if it is in the transfer...

Also, is the layer change at 01:11:00 since that is when the image freezes for about half a second?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, on my Canadian DVD there are only trailers for the sequel itself and the upcoming Ginger Snaps III.

Mikko, I noticed a small and quick pixellation during the scene where Ghost is showing Brigitte her comics in the attic.
That's the only scene on mine that had it though, and it was just a split second.

I noticed the same pixellation on my Canadian DVD during the opening credits/leg shaving and the entering the furnace ducts - same pixels every time - must be the compression when they made the transfer - didn't notice the layer transfer pause though - but my player seems to handle those pretty seemlessly - wicked teaser for the prequel - anyone with the American release notice the same pixellation artifacts? - if it's transfer is any better I may grab that disc too?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Hmmm, I thought the transfer on the US DVD was good , but sometimes I'm not as picky as others on DVD transfers of some movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks