What's new

Gin Blossoms reunite, tour (1 Viewer)

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
"New Miserable Experience" is one of my favorite CDs from the 1990s. Great CD to roll the windows down and sing along to. The follow-up, "Congratualtions...I'm Sorry", was a little disappointing to me, but not without its charm.

Since the bulk of NME was written by an ex-member who died, and whose name escapes me, I wonder how well the new album will compare. Most of the songs on NME were jangly pop songs on the surface, but the lyrics were often dark.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the new CD will put them back on track. I'm glad they're getting back together again.

Derek O

Auditioning
Since the bulk of NME was written by an ex-member who died, and whose name escapes me, I wonder how well the new album will compare.
Guitarist Doug Hopkins committed suicide in December of 1993. Also, I don't think there is a new album just yet. The album Dusted from 1989 is to be re-released in a few weeks. :)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Just got tickets for their show down at the beach at the Bottle and Cork on 5/24. Hey, a $12 Gin Blossoms concert and an excuse to spend a day or two at the beach house to get away from finals? I'm in.

JQ

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Bumping an old thread because the Gins just got finished recording their new album. They're signed to Hybrid Records, and the first single is expected to be released late first quarter 2006. Depending on how things shake out, there may be 14 songs on the album (Robin Wilson said 14 drum tracks were laid down during the sessions). I know 12 of the songs from going to a couple of their shows and from two internet radio concerts, and they are top-notch. It should be a real winner.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I certainly wouldn't say they're the "worst group ever", "New Miserable Experience" was the first CD I bought that I would still listen to to this day, though I did upgrade to the 2-disc expanded edition. I will say, however, that the Gin Blossoms "jumped the shark" when they fired Doug Hopkins and their fate was pretty much sealed when he committed suicide. If you look at the songwriting credits on "NME", the tracks that Hopkins wrote or co-wrote are the best tracks on the album, without exception, by a wide margin. Anyways, I think they could have had a long, respectable career with Hopkins in the band but without him they'll never escape the State Fair circuit.

Lauren Dayap

Stunt Coordinator
bumping this because their...
-self-titled album (long-awaited) is out 8/8
-"Learning the Hard Way" hits radio (Triple A format) 6/5
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Oh and I'm seeing them 10 minutes away from my house 6/25
:cool:

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Bill GrandPre my brother and I agreed with you back in th 90's when they broke out. He and I agreed that they may never make another smash album again. Perhaps they found another great guitarist /songwriter
Quote :"I will say, however, that the Gin Blossoms "jumped the shark" when they fired Doug Hopkins and their fate was pretty much sealed when he committed suicide. If you look at the guitarist credits on "NME", the tracks that Hopkins wrote or co-wrote are the best tracks on the album, without exception, by a wide margin. Anyways, I think they could have had a long, respectable career with Hopkins in the band but without him they'll never escape the State Fair circuit." end quote

Lauren Dayap

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if anyone knows but Congratulations I'm Sorry was voted one of the best 100 Top Albums on a Japanese website. Havent seen New Miserable Experience on a list like that...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I've been hoping to get the Gin Blossoms' catalog (particularly the deluxe version of New Miserable Experience)--I wasn't really a "fan" but I liked what I heard of them in the past, but when I heard "Follow You Down" on the radio a few days ago for the first time in years, I figured I oughta pick up their albums. But looking at Amazon, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. it looks like only their 2006 release and a few best-ofs are in print.
Anyone know why NME and Congratulations I'm Sorry have been deleted and where the best place to find them would be? I know they're on iTunes but I have no interest in that.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
you should check ebay. While the albums are oop, they are fairly common to the extent you should have no problem getting them for pennies

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Can't believe I didn't even think of that--thanks Jay. There's a ton of them up for bid, as well as some EPs and singles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks