What's new

Gimme a Break Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I know. This is VERY exciting dvd news. I'm glad VEI waited until they had it all set and ready to go. They have been working on this one for a while. So it's great to see it come together. It's going to be a great set to own. And the best part is...no waiting for future seasons. This will have it all. I'm grabbing this one.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I wish they'd do it this way every time! Does anyone have the older Canadian releases? Are there no cuts, no music replacement...that sort of thing?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have the Canadian season 2 and there are no cuts I could determine; each episode runs about 24:45. All music is there, but it's not until season 3 that they ramp up the amount of music (not to the extent of WKRP or Wonder Years, but enough to cause huge chunks of footage to disappear if they aren't cleared, like the season 4 girl group medley that is done in one long shot). They threw in a season 3 bonus episode which is uncut (it even has the end of act 1 bumper intact) and still has the presumably-not-PD-yet song "Me and My Shadow". Maybe the non-American FremantleMedia (successor-in-interest many times removed to the show's production company) is more willing to spend the money to clear music.

Here's hoping there are none of the problems that existed with the 7 cut episodes on the Kate & Allie discs (it was produced by the same production company). MCA TV really did a terrible job cutting the show for syndication in 1985.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Great news. I don't even care that I already have the first two seasons on DVD. I was thinking maybe Shout! Factory was going to acquire the rights and release this but if VEI doesn't mess it up with edits then this set should suffice. Of course, at this point I'll be willing to accept any release!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
This is indeed great news and I am hoping there are no edits due to music (or any other reason). I'm not mad either that I have the first two seasons (although if it was more than half the series I would be). This is really the summer of the 80's on tv on dvd. Between Gimme A Break, Tales of the Gold Monkey, Small Wonder and Max Headroom, I don't know how I'm going to watch all these sets.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed that this is #10 in the dvd bestsellers list on Amazon.Ca. Right behind Avatar. This baby must be white hot. OK....note to other studios, do you want to start doing complete series sets now and make a killing on your properties or sit on them and do little to nothing?

Your welcome!!!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Yesterday, for most of the day, it was at #1. I agree it's hot, but keep in mind amazon.ca does much smaller volume than amazon.com

Originally Posted by Bryan^H

I just noticed that this is #10 in the dvd bestsellers list on Amazon.Ca. Right behind Avatar. This baby must be white hot. OK....note to other studios, do you want to start doing complete series sets now and make a killing on your properties or sit on them and do little to nothing?

Your welcome!!!

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert

Your welcome!!!

Exactly! People want completion not 1/2 sets or just one season. But I'm afraid the answer to your question is that they want to sit on them and do nothing.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Any indication these will be altered in any way? I'll purchase this set anyway but having complete episodes will be icing on the cake.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
We won't know anything for sure until Sitcoms Online gets ahold of it and posts running times. They're the only site that does that regularly with all or most of the shows they review.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Fabulous news. I wish this kind of thing was done more often. It seems that classic 80's sitcoms just don't sell well enough to finish their runs on DVD or even come close to it. So complete sets are great.

As far as edits are concerned, I definitely hope the whole series is unedited but I'm betting it won't be. Between music rights concerns and syndicated episode "mistakes", I'm guessing something gonna get butchered.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm hoping they don't cut any of the songs Nell sings. But either way, it looks like this is the only way we'll be getting the series complete on dvd. I just hope it turns out well.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I heard that on the Kate & Allie set even some Beatles songs were cleared. We probably don't have anything to worry about.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TV_Fan

I heard that on the Kate & Allie set even some Beatles songs were cleared. We probably don't have anything to worry about.

I don't remember which Beatles songs were on the show but there is a scene in an episode where Kate is singing "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas & The Papas and that was cleared. When Allie graduates, they all sing "School Days". And in a later episode Jenny sings "Goodbye To You" quite a bit and a scene pops up in a final season episode from that same episode. So hopefully music rights wasn't as big a deal as many thought it would be. We'll know in a little over a month, I guess.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Originally Posted by Robert13

I don't remember which Beatles songs were on the show but there is a scene in an episode where Kate is singing "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas & The Papas and that was cleared. When Allie graduates, they all sing "School Days". And in a later episode Jenny sings "Goodbye To You" quite a bit and a scene pops up in a final season episode from that same episode. So hopefully music rights wasn't as big a deal as many thought it would be. We'll know in a little over a month, I guess.

If I remember correctly from my reading, it was "With A Little Help From My Friends". I have no idea if it was the actual song or a cover though. Even so, with GAB its mostly Nell and the cast singing so I dont think we need to worry too much.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TV_Fan

If I remember correctly from my reading, it was "With A Little Help From My Friends". I have no idea if it was the actual song or a cover though. Even so, with GAB its mostly Nell and the cast singing so I dont think we need to worry too much.
OH! Wait a minute. I think I do remember. That might be when Allie was working at the poster shop. I remember some original music being played in that scene. Definitely was the original song (possibly a cover) but not the cast singing it. That's the one time I remember an actual song being played on the show instead of the cast singing it. I could be forgetting other scenes though. Anyhow, the same applied to "Gimme a Break". Nell was usually singing the songs. I don't recall original versions being used.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wow!!!

It just arrived yesterday. I watched the first episode from season 3(The groupie guest starring Andy Gibb).

I love this show. It brings back memories, and is just pure escapist tv at its best.

Picture quality is just fine, and episodes run on average 25 minutes.

Nell Carter is simply fantastic, and the rest of the cast a great also.

To have the complete series on dvd is a small miracle.

If you love classic tv give this set a shot.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
To me, this is the TV on DVD of the year! After several years of patiently (and impatiently) waiting, the complete series is finally here! From what I've seen so far it seems to be uncut too. VEI really came though for the GAB fans and I am beyond estatic. The audio on a couple of episodes I've seen so far isn't the best, but certainly not the worst I've seen on a DVD set. I highly recommend this very affordable set for any fans of 80's tv, or anyone needing a series that brings more than it's expected share of laughs & fun.

Wow!!!

It just arrived yesterday. I watched the first episode from season 3(The groupie guest starring Andy Gibb).

I love this show. It brings back memories, and is just pure escapist tv at its best.

Picture quality is just fine, and episodes run on average 25 minutes.

Nell Carter is simply fantastic, and the rest of the cast a great also.

To have the complete series on dvd is a small miracle.

If you love classic tv give this set a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks