What's new

Gilmore Girls Seasons 4 and 5 out in next 3 months! (1 Viewer)

PaulHan

Auditioning
Season 4 will be on September 27, while S5 (one of the best seasons of any TV show in maybe the past 5 years that wasn't recognized by the Emmys) will come out on 12/13, the same day as the Golden Globe nominations for 2005 are announced. Maybe they'll get more respect from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association than an academy which still thinks Will and Grace is in its halcyon days, despite 40% of its viewers abandoning it this past season because it so utterly tanked, quality-wise. All further info gleaned and properly credited to TVShowsonDVD:

Season 4 goodies are sparse (the now-traditional montage of the season's best hook-ups; a VH-1 Pop-Up Video homage during the 'Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doin' the Twist' episode; interactive trivia game, deleted scenes and probably another booklet of Gilmore-isms as were in S2 and S3 boxes).

Season 5 extras:
-FINALLY! audio commentary by Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino on Wedding Bell Blues, the show's 100th episode (OK, so it's doesn't come close to 24's ONE DOZEN commentaries on season 4's DVD, but it's one more than they've had in the prior 4 years combined);

*2 featurettes on the 100th episode

*easter eggs

*trailers (?)

*the two-minute drill of Season 5's best dialogue exchanges.

Comments?

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
While I've never actually sat down to watch an episode, I hear it's really good, that I would like it, and that I should get the sets ASAP. I'll admit, though, that the fact that the show is getting caught up with the number of seasons must be a good sign that it's selling, since WB could've said, "We've already released two Gilmore Girls sets this year; let's wait until next May for the fifth season set."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have become a serious Gilmore Girls junkie. Of course I've heard that it is a good and very well-written with sparkling dialogue, blah, blah, blah, but I'm not exactly The WB's target demographic and I've never thought much of what little I saw of their other shows. I caught a part of one episode by chance, and sure Lauren Graham is a looker, but I still wasn't inspired to tune in.

Then I saw Graham on Celebrity Poker Showdown. In a weird way her head-to-head battle for the championship with Maura Tierney was one of the hottest things on TV last year and that made me decide to check out this Gilmore thing. As it happened the reruns on the ABC Family Channel were just starting over with season one, so I watched from the pilot straight through to the second-to-last episode od season 2 - when programmers suddenly jumped to the first episode of season 4! I checked upcoming episodes for the next week on TiVo's schedule and they were all S4, except for a one day marathon the hit hightlightst from all four seasons.

I was so desperate for a Gilmore fix at that point that I cancelled my pre-order for the complete first four seasons package on Amazon and resigned myself to spending a little more cash by buying the 3-season package immediately and the fourth season set in September. (While recording the current season and the 5th season reruns when they come to ABC family so I can catch up with them later.) None of the local stores carried the full 3-season set at the discounted price and it was too expensive to buy each individually, so I ordered on line.

Two days after the UPS man delivered them the TiVo schedule picked up the next week of reruns - and revealed that the WB programmers had discovered their mistake (or heard from outraged fans) and were going back to the last episode of season 2 and then continuing with season 3. So I could have just gone on recording the who every weekday and waited for the full four seasons at the end of September.

But I'm glad I didn't and I'm even happier to hear that S5 will be out by year's end. And finally a commentary track. I was wondering when they'd get around to that.

I'm a total sucker for the His Girl Friday school of rapid-fire overlapping dialogue, think Lauren Graham is a fox and enjoy the quirky characters of the town (and the pop culture references, most of which I get, although I must say I fall down on some of the music stuff because as far as I'm concerned American popular music pretty much peaked with Born to Run. ::)

Right now I'm following the TV broadcast schedule, watching whichever episode they air on the DVD that night, which should take me to the end of S3 just about the time the next set arrives. :)

Later,

Joe

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
Gilmore Girls has been my favorite show on TV since it debuted. Nice to see more people discovering this gem of a show. And even nicer to see posts by guys who are fans. I swear, it's amazing how many guys who would like the show refuse to give it a try because they think it's a "chick show." Geez!

Oh, and Joe, I'm with you on Born to Run!!!

-Leona

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
This is beautiful news. Gilmore Girls is the only current show that I watch. I've worn the previous DVDs out. I think I'm addicted to it :frowning:

A bit out of topic, but does everyone's copy of S1 feature really horrible and grainy picture during the scene from the episode "Christopher Returns" (episode #15) when Rory and Lorelai meet with Christopher's parents inside Emily's house? That is one of my favorite scenes from the whole show, and it looks truly awful on my copy.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I love this show and I have seasons 1-3 on DVD already and I cannot wait for seasons 4 & 5! These are the seasons when Luke and Lorelai FINALLY get together!
And season 4 has one of my all time favorite episodes, Raincoats and Recipes.

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I was surprised too. I'm on a tight budget so I'll probably skip Season 4 now and buy it later, Season 5 looks much more promising in the Bonus Material Department.

I'm a little dissapointed that it's not WideScreen, as GG has been broadcasted in HDTV since Season 4, but I know that it was shot for Full Frame, so I'm fine with that. I'll keep my WideScreen copies though.

As long as they continue to have all the music intact, I will continue buying every Seasons Set they release.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I've seen a season 4 episode in HDTV. So CLEARLY framed for 4:3. You're not missing anything, trust me.

This is good news for GG fans. I, myself, stopped with season 1 on DVD (I felt seasons 2-5 didn't have the same level of quality that season one did) but it's good that fans of the show are getting these sets in a timely manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks